Widgets Magazine
Page 87 of 141 FirstFirst ... 378283848586878889909192137 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

This is the beginning of making the majority will of the people benign. If proponents do not stand up to fight this very transparent attempt to effectively neuter the approved SQ then the opponents desired results will be achieved. You get what you vote for in State leadership. The Governor and legislature are cleverly ignoring statutory framework giving the SQ the force of law by leaving the interpretation of intent of the SQ to the Medical Community which will strip and/ or over regulate to minimize access and as we see modes of medication

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Voted for 788, but don't really smoke marijuana myself. Was kind of ambivalent towards signing the petition for 797, but I will definitely sign now.

What a blatant disregard for the citizens' votes. How disgusting.
    Spread the word! Glad to hear. I'm in roughly the same boat - I don't even use cannabis much anymore, but I sure as hell did when I was in college. The entire war on drugs is a sham and such a waste of taxpayer resources. With cannabis especially, the consequences of getting in trouble are worse than any effects from actually using the substance.

Every year in Oklahoma, about 9,000 people get arrested for cannabis possession/sales combined. Imagine if our society could use those resources for more important things.

Today was a reminder that this is a long fight. Today's F***ING in the ass by the health department was completely unexpected.

Representative Emily Virgin had a useful update no the matter:

I've had quite a few questions about what's next for the emergency rules approved by the Board of Health today on medical cannabis. Here's the process required by the Oklahoma Administrative Procedures Act:

1) The Governor now has 45 days to approve or disapprove these rules. If she does nothing, the rules are disapproved.

2) If the Governor approves the rules, the legislature can disapprove them in our next session.

3) The emergency rules can only be in effect until September 15, 2019.

4) The agency will have to promulgate permanent rules to replace the emergency rules before they expire. The legislature also has the power to disapprove permanent rules.

So, long story short, the Governor or the legislature can fix this mess by disapproving these rules. A lawsuit could also halt the implementation if/when one is filed.

I hope this helps address some of your questions!

Lord, what a bad day for cannabis reform.

Oklahoman's for Health, in a comment somewhere lost in all the insanity of today, said that 796 and 797 will have to be on the 2020 ballot for some reason.

Hopefully by then, the general public in OK will have less fear of the evil weed and the measures will pass. Sigh. The 2020 Election is going to have everybody and their dog coming out of the woodwork to either reject/approve Trump.

Still, petitions must be signed regardless of when the vote will take place.

I honestly think the best strategy is to have two versions of recreational petition - one as merely a law (like 788) that has a lower signature threshold. The other should be a constitutional amendment. I think it increases the chances of getting it on the ballot and getting it passed.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Hopefully by then, the general public in OK will have less fear of the evil weed and the measures will pass. Sigh. The 2020 Election is going to have everybody and their dog coming out of the woodwork to either reject/approve Trump.
    That is what I am hoping. I think as of right now, recreational marijuana would probably fail in Oklahoma by a few points but by 2020 that might not be the case, especially if Democrats take congress this fall and deschedule it in 2019. Public opinion on this is changing fast especially among younger generations. Even today, it's mostly people who financially benefit from it being illegal and holier-than-thou religious people that are still against it. After it gets descheduled more progressive states will probably start legalizing like dominoes.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    This is the beginning of making the majority will of the people benign. If proponents do not stand up to fight this very transparent attempt to effectively neuter the approved SQ then the opponents desired results will be achieved. You get what you vote for in State leadership. The Governor and legislature are cleverly ignoring statutory framework giving the SQ the force of law by leaving the interpretation of intent of the SQ to the Medical Community which will strip and/ or over regulate to minimize access and as we see modes of medication
    well no, it was the Health Department and House Majority Floor Leader Jon Echols provided a pretty spicy statement to The Oklahoman.

Don’t spread fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That is what I am hoping. I think as of right now, recreational marijuana would probably fail in Oklahoma by a few points but by 2020 that might not be the case, especially if Democrats take congress this fall and deschedule it in 2019. Public opinion on this is changing fast especially among younger generations. Even today, it's mostly people who financially benefit from it being illegal and holier-than-thou religious people that are still against it. After it gets descheduled more progressive states will probably start legalizing like dominoes.
    It would pass today. It attracts significant republican support.

Federally there’s a law working its way through Congress now that would leave marijuana regulation up to the states if they legalize it, it would also open up the banking system to the industry. Looks likely to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

Federally there’s a law working its way through Congress now that would leave marijuana regulation up to the states if they legalize it, it would also open up the banking system to the industry. Looks likely to pass.
    For reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STATES_Act

I can't find it now, but IIRC the last time Sooner Poll (for whatever that's worth) polled about recreational it was somewhere in the mid-30s for support. Let's not forget that much of the opposition to 788, though defeated, was that it was "too much like recreational". I'm less optimistic, but this is probably the best thing that could've happened for 797 support.

Emily Virgin has explained what happens now. It sounds like there's still plenty of stopgaps against this going into effect this way:

Representative Emily Virgin
    2 hrs ·
    I've had quite a few questions about what's next for the emergency rules approved by the Board of Health today on medical cannabis. Here's the process required by the Oklahoma Administrative Procedures Act:

1) The Governor now has 45 days to approve or disapprove these rules. If she does nothing, the rules are disapproved.

2) If the Governor approves the rules, the legislature can disapprove them in our next session.

3) The emergency rules can only be in effect until September 15, 2019.

4) The agency will have to promulgate permanent rules to replace the emergency rules before they expire. The legislature also has the power to disapprove permanent rules.

So, long story short, the Governor or the legislature can fix this mess by disapproving these rules. A lawsuit could also halt the implementation if/when one is filed.
    But, she recommends contacting your legislator and the Governor's office to make your voice heard. Do it up, folks!

As of two days ago, the official petition signature count was

796 (medicinal): 73,431
    797 (recreational): 81,116

They need 125,000 to get it on the ballot, but it's typical for a decent number of the signatures to be invalid, so they're aiming for 180,000 just to be safe. It's going to be a close call and probably hard to do, but if you feel strongly about it (esp. after what the DoH did today) go ahead and get the word out.

well no, it was the Health Department and House Majority Floor Leader Jon Echols provided a pretty spicy statement to The Oklahoman.

Don’t spread fake news.
    Fake News???

I wish someone would ask (on the record} every member of the legislature if they are in favor of SQ 788 as written or against it. I think the people of OK would really be interested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Fake News???
    You literally blamed the legislature and governor for something the health department did.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    As of two days ago, the official petition signature count was

796 (medicinal): 73,431
    797 (recreational): 81,116

They need 125,000 to get it on the ballot, but it's typical for a decent number of the signatures to be invalid, so they're aiming for 180,000 just to be safe. It's going to be a close call and probably hard to do, but if you feel strongly about it (esp. after what the DoH did today) go ahead and get the word out.
    I sent 16 pages of signatures to Green the Vote on Monday. It included 80 signatures I got on Fri. and Sat. night at 4th and Washington in Stillwater, the heart of the strip. Yes, it's hard to do. It took 6 hours to get that many. Surely, it's easier to get a lot more signatures than that at Norman's version of the strip.

This just smells like back room politics.

I'd be interested to hear Mick Cornett vs. Kevin Stitt's plans for addressing the Health Department should they be elected.
    According to their website: "The agency is governed by the Oklahoma State Board of Health created under the authority of Oklahoma Statute Title 63, Section 1-103. This nine-member Board is appointed by the Governor with Senate confirmation. Each Board member serves a nine-year term."

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    I'd be interested to hear Mick Cornett vs. Kevin Stitt's plans for addressing the Health Department should they be elected.
    Not sure about that since it's a relatively recent event, however I do know that Stitt is fine with medical mj, but decidedly against recreational.

Welp, Mary Fallin just signed the emergency rules into effect. From here statement:

I encourage everyone to approach this effort in a constructive fashion in order to honor the will of the citizens of Oklahoma who want a balanced and responsible medical marijuana law. ... The Health Department has been working with 17 other agencies the past three months on crafting these emergency rules.
    This is complete garbage. Banning smokeable forms of the plant and requiring a pharmacist to be present at every dispensary were NOT part of the original emergency rules. They were released just a day before they were voted on.

Here come the lawsuits......

Yay wasting tax payer on things they knew wouldn’t survive a court challenge

This state is complete horse ****!

If you don't like the new rules, do something about it and put forth the effort to go sign the 797 petition. I did so today. It is available to sign at locations all over the state. You can find them here:

https://gtvok.com/locations

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    This state is complete horse ****!
    Then leave..?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If you don't like the new rules, do something about it and put forth the effort to go sign the 797 petition. I did so today. It is available to sign at locations all over the state. You can find them here:

https://gtvok.com/locations
    This. The problem with pushing a vague state question and framing the debate as medical is that of course the medical community is going to be involved. It's either them or the legislature working out the details that weren't laid out in the SQ. Doctors are pulled into this putting thier reputations, licenses, and insurance on the line by signing the medical applications. From a purely medical standpoint even with these rules it will still benefit those that need it, not even taking into account the ability to grow at home if you must have smokeables for some reason (the cancer folks I've known who used medical hates smokeable). If you want recreational support the recreational initiatives.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Then leave..?
    I reaaly dis-like this attitude. No, If you think this state is horse**** because of political action or any other reason besides the streets are literally filled with horse**** (although they are thursday-sunday in bricktown but that's beside the point) please don't leave. Stay and help us make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    I reaaly dis-like this attitude. No, If you think this state is horse**** because of political action or any other reason besides the streets are literally filled with horse**** (although they are thursday-sunday in bricktown but that's beside the point) please don't leave. Stay and help us make it better.
    I think it alludes to more that if all someone is gonna do is piss and moan on a message board they are free to leave. If they work to make it better by all means stay.

Most people here just whine and moan.

Thread Information