Widgets Magazine
Page 82 of 96 FirstFirst ... 327778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2384

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: Midtown

Wowee.

They had cut dinner recently, so the handwriting was on the wall.

As hot as Midtown is, I'll be very curious to see what happens with this building / space.

Sad sad day for me. I went there about once a week for the past 4 years. My grandmother started taking me there when I was a baby. Where am I going to get my veggies and icebox pie for lunch?

It is sad. The quality of the food wasn't great, but quite adequate. The places to eat out and have good, unpretentious comfort food at an appropriate price in this city are waning.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    Sad sad day for me. I went there about once a week for the past 4 years. My grandmother started taking me there when I was a baby. Where am I going to get my veggies and icebox pie for lunch?
    Yeah, same here. Been there more times than I can begin to count. First time was as a kid in about 1963 and, like you, have enjoyed their food on a regular basis. Damn, I'll miss that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    It is sad. The quality of the food wasn't great, but quite adequate. The places to eat out and have good, unpretentious comfort food at an appropriate price in this city are waning.
    Such is the result of gentrification and the changing demographics of downtown. Some of these restaurants that have been in business for ages can't old their own against the new competition. Unfortunately that means the loss of some of the more modest (yet low cost) institutions.

And economics often dictate higher and better use.

7. Default Re: Midtown

Their parking lot is massive. And used to be seriously patrolled (odd for a place open like 5 hours a day), so don't even think about parking there.

OKC is really quite lucky here, still. Braum's, Jimmy's Egg, Del Rancho, Anne's Chicken Fried, that place in Del City (forget the name, the only clean place today in town though so you can't miss it right on 29th)..and more come to mind. Comfort food is all I eat when I'm back in OKC lol.

Is Bobo's chicken still a thing? Totally worth risking your life.

[QUOTE=Spartan;925418]OKC is really quite lucky here, still. Braum's, Jimmy's Egg, Del Rancho, Anne's Chicken Fried, that place in Del City (forget the name, the only clean place today in town though so you can't miss it right on 29th)..and more come to mind. Comfort food is all I eat when I'm back in OKC lol./QUOTE]

I agree. If Paseofreak is only talking about the downtown area, that could be correct. But it's not correct about OKC as a whole. There are multitudes of places to get decent comfort food at reasonable prices.

9. Default Re: Midtown

It's our greatest asset IMO lol. There was an effort at getting Braum's to go to Deep Deuce about 10 years ago. That could be cool. Maybe something similar to the Lower Bricktown Sonic, but near a freeway exit.

Side note - has anyone seen Braum's headquarters on NE 63rd lately? Pretty shabby digs. I don't see how an effective modern company can operate out of there for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's our greatest asset IMO lol. There was an effort at getting Braum's to go to Deep Deuce about 10 years ago. That could be cool. Maybe something similar to the Lower Bricktown Sonic, but near a freeway exit.

Side note - has anyone seen Braum's headquarters on NE 63rd lately? Pretty shabby digs. I don't see how an effective modern company can operate out of there for much longer.
    Maybe Braum's could build a new headquarters next door to The Key's proposed, tornado building. Only, instead of tornados, Braum's could shape its building like a double-dip ice cream cone (with cappuccino chunky chocolate ice cream, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I agree. If Paseofreak is only talking about the downtown area, that could be correct. But it's not correct about OKC as a whole. There are multitudes of places to get decent comfort food at reasonable prices.
    I guess what I was talking about is a place where you can get sliced roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, another veggie, and pie for ten bucks and change, or maybe sliced turkey, or fried chicken. A sit down meal close to what your mama would feed you. Something a step up from a burger and sandwich place. And yes, proximity to The Paseo is important to me as well. Sherri's Diner and Jimmy's Round-up Cafe come to mind, but those are a ways away and probably not quite up to Boulevard quality.

12. Default Re: Midtown

I guess what I was talking about is a place where you can get sliced roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, another veggie, and pie for ten bucks and change, or maybe sliced turkey, or fried chicken. A sit down meal close to what your mama would feed you. Something a step up from a burger and sandwich place. And yes, proximity to The Paseo is important to me as well. Sherri's Diner and Jimmy's Round-up Cafe come to mind, but those are a ways away and probably not quite up to Boulevard quality.
    Try a Family Affair on NE 23rd.

I do. And Florence's as well, but Flo's is edging past $15 for lunch and they are terribly skimpy with their chicken.

What is going on with the parking on 10th? It seems pretty dangerous as cars are parked on the side of the road throughout the day. With this street becoming busier and busier, it either needs to be no parking or be changed to one lane. Preferably no parking.

I have seen and have almost been hit by cars avoiding the parked cars near the stop lights.

I come off the Broadway Extension most mornings at 10th and go west. It is hard enough to get through the intersection at Broadway but almost every morning there is a car parked in the right lane just to the west of Broadway. It is so annoying especially since there is no left turn lane so those of us going straight have to get in the right lane or wait forever. Of course if there is a train I just get off on 6th in order to go under the tracks with no hassles.

I come off the Broadway Extension most mornings at 10th and go west. It is hard enough to get through the intersection at Broadway but almost every morning there is a car parked in the right lane just to the west of Broadway. It is so annoying especially since there is no left turn lane so those of us going straight have to get in the right lane or wait forever. Of course if there is a train I just get off on 6th in order to go under the tracks with no hassles.
    I've noticed this as well a few mornings last week. I wish there was signage like there is near the courthouse parking garage and the OKC MOA off Hudson that says "No Parking 7am-9am."

I think there is a sign that says "No Parking 7am-9am/4pm-6pm", I could be mistaken though. I go west on 10th from 235 to go home in the evenings (around 5-5:30ish) and there's usually a couple of cars parked there at 10th and Broadway, causing westbound traffic to back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4OU View Post
    I've noticed this as well a few mornings last week. I wish there was signage like there is near the courthouse parking garage and the OKC MOA off Hudson that says "No Parking 7am-9am."

I should say no parking between 7 and 7, if parking is allowed at all.

I also love that train at 8:03 in the morning. One day, it took 15 minutes before it cleared the intersection. Couldn't really go around as the road was closed near the Metropolitan.

Is there someone we can call to try to fix this problem?

Is there someone we can call to try to fix this problem?
    Either Meg Salyer or OKC PD.

Meg Salyer
    Ward Six
    Email: ward6@okc.gov
    405-297-2402

Blog Entries

The project to fill in the gap between Louie's and the old Meg Guess space has started:

23. Default Re: Midtown

This reminds me of Slivr in Film Row.

Why does it take up so much sidewalk? People in this area will be walking in the street.

Thread Information