Widgets Magazine
Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 30757677787980
Results 1,976 to 1,996 of 1996

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    It's interesting to compare this development to Mayfair just a mile west - both at NW 50th Street, both along busy N/S arterial streets, but completely different takes on how to redevelop in the urban core of OKC...
    I'm guessing OAK backers have a toooooooon more money than the Mayfair owners.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    It's interesting to compare this development to Mayfair just a mile west - both at NW 50th Street, both along busy N/S arterial streets, but completely different takes on how to redevelop in the urban core of OKC...
    If the intention here is criticism of Mayfair, and in fairness it might not be what you meant at all, it’s really not a fair comparison. Mayfair was an almost dead traditional 1960s shopping center that was totally rehabbed with a lot of the old bones and brought back to life. The OAK, as you noted just one mile away from Mayfair, was developed from the dirt up as an upscale 21st Century lifestyle center. The comparison is nowhere near a level playing field; from the available capital budgets to the location of both (one being across the street from the state’s largest legacy mall). But, yeah, investment in these areas is great, and the fast growing area from 39th to 63rd streets north/south, and east/west from May to Classen/Western will explode over the next couple of decades. I’m guessing Oak will kill it in Oklahoma City and spur even further growth all over this area. Gotta love the future of this city.

Alo (yoga clothing) is taking the corner space immediately south of Williams Sonoma. Another high-end tenant and beautiful stores.

Turf is going down in the park. Not sure if they are going to try and put the skating rink in this year or wait for the holidays in 2025.

The last two photos are of the old Registry Building. They have cleared out the western half which will be renovated into a new 2-level building. The atrium and east half are being demolished to make way for more restaurants.

Very cool!

Looks like Cloudpuncher at Lively now has its liquor license.

6. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Are they a little worried about people getting hammered and trying to get on the cloud?

I'm not saying I would, but I could see certain people trying that move.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Are they a little worried about people getting hammered and trying to get on the cloud?

I don't think that is a material issue for this development. Kinda like when people fall in the canal (it happens).

Can only plan for so much, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post

Not in the summer at least, I bet that cloud is going to be super hot in the sun

Oklahoma’s first Arhaus is now open at OAK at NW Expressway and Penn.

Monday 10/21, Capital Grille opens right next door (pardon the error in the first photo).

And another new-to-Oklahoma retailer, Alo yoga clothing, will be taking the space directly south of the recently-opened Williams Sonoma.

Pottery Barn has seen a busy opening and Tommy Bahama Marlin Bar opens before the end of the month.

Mesero is hoping to open around the first of the year and RH Gallery is targeting June 2025.

Also, Lively Hotel now has its liquor license so enjoy the nice fall weather with a cocktail on the large 2nd level patio.

11. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Went to Arhaus as well as the other open stores today. It is all very high end and no expenses we're spared. Still a lot of construction going on but this developments is going to kill it once it's firing on all cylinders.

There appears to a mattress store coming to the area too. This space looks almost completed on the south side closer to the apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    There appears to a mattress store coming to the area too. This space looks almost completed on the south side closer to the apartments.
    Temper-Pedic

14. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I love OAK and the upscale retail it's bringing to the city, however, it strikes me that the emphasis in OAK is in furniture/housewares when typically these districts focus on clothing. How do we feel that Oklahoma's #1 upscale retail district (or is that Classen Curve still) is a collection of furniture flagships (upscale/luxury nonetheless) and not clothiers LV, Prada, Gucci, etc?

Anyway, not complaining at all - just seemed interesting selection of retail to me.

And I do hope OAK will continue to elevate Penn Square Mall and hopefully eventually rub off on making 50-Penn Place a galleria again and possibly elevating Belle Isle a bit.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I love OAK and the upscale retail it's bringing to the city, however, it strikes me that the emphasis in OAK is in furniture/housewares when typically these districts focus on clothing. How do we feel that Oklahoma's #1 upscale retail district (or is that Classen Curve still) is a collection of furniture flagships (upscale/luxury nonetheless) and not clothiers LV, Prada, Gucci, etc?

Anyway, not complaining at all - just seemed interesting selection of retail to me..

And I do hope OAK will continue to elevate Penn Square Mall and hopefully eventually rub off on making 50-Penn Place a galleria again and possibly elevating Belle Isle a bit.
    Unfortunately, Gucci, Prada, LV, were never really considering OKC. I don't think they ever will, unless we grow and gain a lot more high-income people living in the same area. Those stores follow their algorithms and metrics to a T.

LV, maybe, and Tiffany & Co , but the others, will likely never open here.

I thought I remembered Pete, or someone else who would know, say OAK tried for those huge sharks, and were told, as politely as possible, no.

They have done very well with their curated collection of stores, though

16. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

yes, I agree. thanks for the insight, hopefully we can eventually turn that page once and for all. ..

^

You must have missed that Alo is coming to OAK with a big store.

They are also working on others. I was told they would focus on clothing and restaurants for the remaining spots/pads.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

Anyway, not complaining at all - just seemed interesting selection of retail to me.

I don’t care about the stores you mentioned, but your last thought is what I’m also holding out hope for. Could 50 penn be converted to residential? And I hope it continues to elevate PSM. I’d love to see a Scheel’s and a LifeTime built there and maybe some apartments?

These photos are from the OAK Facebook page, from their first live music event.

There will be another this Friday from 5 PM to 7:30. Tickets are free: https://www.oakokc.com/events/event/...24-HoDlVRfNESQ

They will also be showing the movie Hocus Pocus on an outdoor big screen on Saturday evening.

This project is really rounding into shape.

20. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They are also working on others. I was told they would focus on clothing and restaurants for the remaining spots/pads.
    Thanks Pete, very good to hear. Hopefully things will "continue" to be very successful proving OKC as a market and we can land some of the cache luxury clothiers to Oak, Classen Curve, and Park Avenue. At least to have a presence, but I suspect OKC would greatly patronize who ever comes to market.

^^ wow, the pics of the promenade look fantastic. First Class indeed! It's about dang time OKC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

From a development plan perspective, focusing on Furniture stores first makes sense. Clothing retailers don't need near the same square footage as a Restoration Hardware.

Thread Information