Widgets Magazine
Page 80 of 217 FirstFirst ... 307576777879808182838485130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Also, remember this decision to dismiss was made by the City Attorney, not by the convention center committee.

I was told even the architects working on the plans only learned about it through the press release.

2. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's hard to believe that the site selection was made almost 4 years ago; it was June of 2011. That was after a lot of time was spent in workshops and studies.

And here we sit all this time, money and effort later, back at square 1.
    We are only back at square 1 if we want to do this right. Downtown has changed so much, and with the dust still not settled, it is extremely crucial that we evaluate new sites. The only other ideal site was gobbled up by a huge upscale development.

I think the Bass Pro site or over by the County Jail are where we should be looking.

Imagine a convention district on the AICCM site. Everyone wants to place the CC near existing facilities, even if there isn't a place for it to fit in nicely, when just down the river are 250 acres waiting for the city to take back ownership. That is enough land to build an entire new district - Wheeler District style. Selling off city owned CC adjacent land could raise millions more for CC hotel costs or CC expansion. The ugly loading docks could face the railroad, no superblocks to worry about, and pedestrian dead space won't be an issue for downtown.

If you want to see something similar check out the Savannah Convention Center.

constant reader, seldom poster here.
    What if they took the area from Shields West to Robinson, from 2nd Street (which was the Service Rd South of I-40 down to 5th St.
    The Hotel could be on the West end overlooking the park, Incoming & outgoing traffic could be on S 5th where travelers would avoid the Boulevard. It would not interfere (much) with afternoon rush hour enroute to I-40 via Shields (S on Robinson to 5th & East to Shields)
    This would include the current OG&E operation (which the City should end up with) The Fire Station the City owns, the area the former I-40 cloverleaf was. On 5th is one building where a planned remodel was announced, but I've seen no activity yet.
    Just thinking is all.

Quote Originally Posted by drinner-okc View Post
    constant reader, seldom poster here.
    What if they took the area from Shields West to Robinson, from 2nd Street (which was the Service Rd South of I-40 down to 5th St.
    The Hotel could be on the West end overlooking the park, Incoming & outgoing traffic could be on S 5th where travelers would avoid the Boulevard. It would not interfere (much) with afternoon rush hour enroute to I-40 via Shields (S on Robinson to 5th & East to Shields)
    This would include the current OG&E operation (which the City should end up with) The Fire Station the City owns, the area the former I-40 cloverleaf was. On 5th is one building where a planned remodel was announced, but I've seen no activity yet.
    Just thinking is all.
    Good to hear from you!

That makes every bit as much sense as having the cc oriented length-wise to the park.

I think what you are saying is have it run more E/W rather than N/S.

And since OG&E would be contributing their existing property, that would even make more sense.

6. Default Re: Convention Center

I am FOR taking some of the superblock impact away from the C2S Park. That's why we first called that site into question, when it was previously the proposed site.

We are in a very weird situation where we have a funded project but limited decent locations to build it.

7. Default Re: Convention Center

Sounds to me after listening to Steve's interview with Mayor Cornett tonight that the Cox site is the next man up since the city already owns the property.

What about on the surface parking lot in front of the Chevy? Would that be enough space?

I'd build it in Yukon. Connect it to a 30 lane highway and call it good.

Does anyone else think that besides the massive waste of money and resources that this might end up being a good thing? If that real estate truly is some of the most prime downtown, maybe there is a good chance that it will turn in to a development much more suited to be between two parks and add more street life than the CC would've.

11. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I'd build it in Yukon. Connect it to a 30 lane highway and call it good.
    Amen brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Does anyone else think that besides the massive waste of money and resources that this might end up being a good thing? If that real estate truly is some of the most prime downtown, maybe there is a good chance that it will turn in to a development much more suited to be between two parks and add more street life than the CC would've.
    I agree. I think this could really be a good thing as long as it doesn't jeopardize any of the Hall Capital projects since I believe the land is owned by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Amen brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Sounds to me after listening to Steve's interview with Mayor Cornett tonight that the Cox site is the next man up since the city already owns the property.
    It was the #4 rated site by the consultants and everyone had bought into the idea that their ratings would guide the process.

At least that was the case when it delivered the answer wanted by the committee and powers that be.

Now, we're going to completely throw that away and at least not broaden the study and look at all possibilities?

Seems to me you either stick with the study you have, or you start over. How else do you come to a fair decision?

Uhaul site is best option now. Obviously I would say lumber or coop - but we know those are unlikely.

The current CCC is too valuable, it needs to be private development.

How would doing it on the Cox site not be a great deal in the long term?

In addition, how long will this thing take to build? The viability of doing it on the Cox site depends on how long OKC will have to go without a convention center considering the existing one would have to come down before the construction of the new one.

^
    That study should not be taken as the gold standard. So much has changed in DT since 2010-11, I'd rather them just toss it frankly.

We now have a confirmed streetcar route, a renewed emphasis on walkability, and a hotel boom in Bricktown/Deep Deuce And if I am not mistaken, the thought process back then was that future development would be funneled south towards the river i.e. Core 2 Shore. Instead, its shooting upwards along Broadway and beginning to creep westward; I can't remember the last time I heard C2S mentioned by anyone in the past two years.

All these things should be taken into consideration. If they can somehow figure out the logistics of building the CC at the current Cox (which was the main issue with that site), I don't know how you don't take a serious look at it.

BTW, that interview with the Mayor was just pure spin.

This is a huge setback right when they thought they had everything in place. Good grief, they just field 7 responses to the the hotel RFP today.

Also, keep in mind the mayor is just one vote on City Council and in no way represents the convention center committee.

I like Mick and he's great in front of the camera and people, but frankly what he has to say about this right now doesn't mean much of anything.

19. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Uhaul site is best option now. Obviously I would say lumber or coop - but we know those are unlikely.

The current CCC is too valuable, it needs to be private development.
    The Uhaul site would be BAE, because then we could tear it down too!

If the (now old designed) convention center was projected to cost around $230M, and the land where they were going to put it was $100M. Just think of how valuable the current convention center site is worth. And then imagine this value with another 5-7 years of aging and growth in OKC. We are talking about a super block directly across the street from the eventual central HUB for all downtown transit, a link between the CBD-C2S, CBD-Bricktown, CBD-Central Park/Arena. This block has too much opportunity to let it remain. if the $100M value for the wasteland south of the Myriad Gardens is any indication about how much the area properties are worth, then the CCC site sold off could build 2 or 3 new convention centers in dollars.

21. Default Re: Convention Center

It was the #4 rated site by the consultants and everyone had bought into the idea that their ratings would guide the process.

At least that was the case when it delivered the answer wanted by the committee and powers that be.

Now, we're going to completely throw that away and at least not broaden the study and look at all possibilities?

Seems to me you either stick with the study you have, or you start over. How else do you come to a fair decision?
    Simple - $$.

It's clear the city underestimated real estate costs.

Also, this bit from the Oklahoman article is highly misleading:

The decision to drop the purchase effort came during a city council executive session Tuesday
    The Council was merely briefed by the City Attorney that they planned to dismiss the eminent domain action. The decision had already been made and in fact was filed with the court within just a couple of hours of that executive session.

The mayor even said in the video interview "no formal action was taken by the council; that may come later". Although, of course, the whole thing has already been dropped anyway.

The spin here is, "Oh, it just turned out to be too expensive."

That makes no sense because they have been working with this ownership group since 2011 and the eminent domain was filed 9 months ago. It doesn't add up that all the sudden they just realized they were too far apart.

Also, this happened very suddenly as I've already pointed out; and that has not been explained.

This is a huge setback right when they thought they had everything in place. Good grief, they just field 7 responses to the the hotel RFP today.
    Maybe next time they will wait to own the land before they start trying to build on it.

BTW, that interview with the Mayor was just pure spin.

Also, keep in mind the mayor is just one vote on City Council and in no way represents the convention center committee.

I like Mick and he's great in front of the camera and people, but frankly what he has to say about this right now doesn't mean much of anything.
    So you're saying he just "Scott Brooksed" or "Thunder press conferenced" that interview?

Man, I'll bet that there have been some sleepless nights had by a few mid-powerful folks in OKC! And I'll bet that's not over with.

Thread Information