Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Avenue District

Default Re: Western Avenue District

There are a few Savory Spice Shops around Denver, one in LoDo fairly close to my office, one in the Lowry AFB redevelopment and one in the Old Downtown Littleton area. They are all in pretty interesting locations. There is another similar chain called Penzey's Spices here as well. My wife gets some specialty items from both of them.

One aspect that I enjoyed, from reading the okc.net article, was the interaction between these businesses.

The spice shop guy was using Elemental Coffee as a place to put out samples and try to generate interest and new customers. And then owners of The Mule are considering using the spices in the food at their new place. So we have owners of different businesses (particularly new ones) around the metro communicating and co-operating to foster each other along. Seems like a good idea -- for building a community as well as business.

I know quite a few of the locally owned stores/eateries in Austin have a similar "cross-marketing" between businesses going on and have for many years.

Nice pic of the Savory Spice Shop sign:

Also, a recent article:
    The World Second Oldest Profession: The Spice Trade Sets up Shop in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

Vintage Coffee is moving from 150th in Edmond to 49th and Western. I hope they are successful - the owners are very nice people and will be missed in this area.

I heard that too CaptDave. I am looking forward to frequenting them for lunch since I work near 49th and Western.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Vintage Coffee is moving from 150th in Edmond to 49th and Western. I hope they are successful - the owners are very nice people and will be missed in this area.
    In the Igelsia center?

I am not sure about that Teo. They are renovating the space now and will open toward the end of this month.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    They should do well there. But it was a great neighborhood place and I agree, they will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New restaurant 3,110 square foot restaurant at 4309 N Western, next to Sipgano.

They have applied to serve beer, wine and mixed drinks and will be called the Cork & Bun:

Building permit issued today for this project.

Poked my head in there last week and they were already doing work.

Interesting study done by OU about the walkability (or lack thereof) in this district:

7 Western Avenue Walkability Challenges | The Institute for Quality Communities

It is horribly unwalkable there. Western is very difficult to cross as well. I frequently shop at Movkingbird Manor and Heirloom Shoes, but sometimes move my car to shop across the street because it's so unappealing/feels unsafe to cross as a pedestrian

It seems like the pictures are from way distant parts of western, kind of devaluing their study. I am strongly opinionated that we need sidewalks on western from the core to Hefner RD

Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    It seems like the pictures are from way distant parts of western, kind of devaluing their study. I am strongly opinionated that we need sidewalks on western from the core to Hefner RD
    That's actually one of the better parts of Western, with several good antique stores, Heirloom Shoes, Urbane, a Date with Iris, Ketch Designs, French Cowgirl and more. It's also decidedly unwalkable, so I think it was a great choice for photos, actually.

That's the part of Western I spend the most time on. I park once and walk to all of my destinations, but I'm brave and operate on the assumption that a car wont hit me on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    That's the part of Western I spend the most time on. I park once and walk to all of my destinations, but I'm brave and operate on the assumption that a car wont hit me on purpose.
    This is always my working theory whenever i'm walking around in that area. I couldn't imagine having a functional or access need and safely navigating the traffic, broken sidewalks, and dirt paths.

I used to rent a home on the 1100 block of 49th st. I regularly walked/cycled everywhere from the corner store (now demolished) to VZD's which was my neighborhood pub in those days. The disjointed sidewalks and no marked pedestrian crossing zones are ludicrous in that area. There are many bus riders, shoppers, school children, diners, church goers, and neighborhood residents that are underserved by the ridiculous conditions along that part of western.

Looks like there is also a survey and more to the study: Western Avenue | The Institute for Quality Communities

The stretch of Western between I-44 and 23rd is one of the more walkable areas in terms of businesses, but in terms of infrastructure it's really lacking. It has the potential to be a really really cool street if the city can get its **** together and fix all those issues.

Vintage Coffee needs your help in order to open up at their new location at 1101 NW 49th Street. Please consider being a part of this campaign.

the Renaissance of Vintage Coffee by alan k swan ? Kickstarter

20. Default Re: Western Avenue District

thanks for the love! didn't know we still had fans here at okctalk, awesome!

Default Using space more efficiently along Western

This was a very interesting and informative article, by numbers kind of thing, about the space being wasted on Western. Lost Space on Western | The Institute for Quality Communities

Very interesting. Western has so much potential, but it does need significant help. I'm glad to see this analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    Vintage Coffee needs your help in order to open up at their new location at 1101 NW 49th Street. Please consider being a part of this campaign.

the Renaissance of Vintage Coffee by alan k swan ? Kickstarter
    You also view and/or download the video from here:

Vintage Coffee Kickstarter on Vimeo

It's been a month since the video was posted, so it's probably further along.

Drum Room at 42nd & Western should be open in about a week:

It's nice that Western Avenue was able to snare this development. It'll be a great cymbal for the area
    and help drum up more visitors. Be sure to dress snappy and wear a hi-hat to the opening. You can't beat it!

Thread Information