Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I tried to read up on Wikipedia, but it still was not clear what the hub-bub was between these leagues...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    My understanding is that the NASL team will be "Division II" and the USL team will be "Division III", right? So they should not be in competition with each other any more than the Redhawks (AAA) and Drillers (AA) would be? Aside from the personal beef between the owners, I've not quite understood the strife between these two teams...
    Competing for fan money and loyalty can be just as competitive , in a lot of markets (especially ones where the sports market is getting overextended) the other local teams no matter the sport are a bigger rival to management than anyone they play on the feild.

3. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Interview with head coach Jimmy Nielsen

Interview with Jimmy Nielsen - YouTube

I don't understand NASL's position in trying to compete with MLS.

I think nasl starting a year later is going to hurt them badly. Would be surprised if they play for more than a year.

Hopefully okc energy can get beer sales at mcguinnes, maybe not during the school year but during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I don't understand NASL's position in trying to compete with MLS.
    I think it's the whole ABA, WHA, usfl mentality. Try to get big enough to merge a few teams into the mls

7. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    I think nasl starting a year later is going to hurt them badly. Would be surprised if they play for more than a year.

Hopefully okc energy can get beer sales at mcguinnes, maybe not during the school year but during the summer.
    According to some of the Energy marketing people the archdiocese of OKC has said no alcohol in the stadium... I'm guessing that is going to mean no alcahol in the parking lot either. =/

Blog Entries

I'm okay with this on the grounds that it might motivate them to get moving on a stadium sooner rather than later.

9. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

The Energy have named a GM and Assistant Coach

Energy FC - OKC Energy FC has announced the hiring of Jason Hawkins

EnergyFC: Work is underway to transform the playing field at Bishop McGuinness! http://t.co/t9zr7r66WB

Quote Originally Posted by elitespy View Post
    The Energy have named a GM and Assistant Coach

Energy FC - OKC Energy FC has announced the hiring of Jason Hawkins
    Westmoore High School graduate

12. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Saw these earlier today, thought they were pretty cool. These are just somebodies design for the NASL team.

EnergyFC: More progress being made at Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School! http://t.co/81vNpbygBT

Blog Entries

Someone just said on Steve's chat that the NASL team may be delayed or dead. Anybody have details?

Someone just said on Steve's chat that the NASL team may be delayed or dead. Anybody have details?
    In reference to their court case? I thought I heard that the NASL owners were being sued by USL because they had a development team with USL, but then opted to start a NASL team... there were some competition clauses in their contract. Hmmm

OKC NASL remove they twitter account on twitter and the last Facebook post was back in December

17. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Yeah I have heard rumors that they won't be starting until 2016, and rumors that the whole project is dead, but that is all rumor. We will have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    OKC NASL remove they twitter account on twitter and the last Facebook post was back in December
    https://twitter.com/OKCNASL Is still live - last post was in late December.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    https://twitter.com/OKCNASL Is still live - last post was in late December.

So true!

The rumors out there are like 'Girls Gone Wild!' They are running rampant at this stage.

Let's wait for something official on all of this innuendo and false alarms going off all over the soccer environment.

My blood is in such a tail spin that they could extract plasma right off the top (LMAO).

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ... as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Don't put too much stock in Facebook activity. Lund's group (Sold Out Strategies) only has 82 likes, and the last post was from October 11. Funk's group (Prodigal Management) has 1,322 likes, and the last post was January 4. Seems like SOS isn't very active when it comes to social media, but Lund was able to secure Taft Stadium. Funk was also after Taft, but lost out to Lund (Pribil Stadium was later secured for Energy FC)... Which may not mean anything in the long run. For all I know, OKC NASL may be in trouble, but Facebook and Twitter don't tell the whole story.

I've been a little bit out of the loop on this lately, but do have from multiple solid sources that a deal is in the works for both groups to come together on this one.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be for the good of the city for that to happen...

Energy FC - ENERGY FC TO HOLD OPEN TRYOUTS
    OKC Energy FC has scheduled its Oklahoma City open tryouts for February 15-16, the team announced today. Registration is available only online. Cost to participate is $125 for registration prior to February 7 and $200 following that date. No refunds will be issued once a participant is registered and paid.

Participants are responsible for travel and lodging and receive and evaluation and two training shirts. The open tryout consists of two workout sessions on February 15 and 11v11 games on February 16.

In addition to the Oklahoma City open tryout, the team is conducting an open tryout at the Sporting KC training grounds in Kansas City, February 28-March 1. Sporting KC is the MLS affiliate of the Energy. Registration for this tryout is also available online at EnergyFC.com. Cost to participate is $75 for registration prior to February 14 and $125 following that date. No refunds will be issued once a participant is register and paid.

Participants are responsible for travel and lodging. The open tryout consists of two workout sessions on February 28 and 11v11 games on March 1.

For more information, contact the OKC Energy FC office at 405-235-KICK.

Bishop McGuinness Announced that first soccer match for OKC energy will be April 26th

Ive heard in the past two days from two, different, unrelated people with word from the inside that the OKC NASL team will NOT be happening. Word is, from both sources, that Tim McLaughlin has pulled his support as majority owner. We know that the NASL Commissioner was in town several days ago (He actually tweeted a picture of the moon over OKC?!?). Apparently this was to try and shore up support for the team. I've heard that it was unsuccessful. This sucks.

Isn't it better to just have one team for right now, though? Prove the interest is there and then expand the Energy's new stadium if a chance for the MLS comes up in about ten years.

Thread Information