Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Circle

Default Re: Classen Circle

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    That's about as good of news as you could expect at this point in time.
    But still, this seems like a binary proposition.

Either they plan to demolish the structures or they don't.

Where is the compromise? More landscaping?

It's not like they are going to save those buildings and covert them into a Braum's with a drive-thru.

Yeah, this does definitely feel like a way to offer small concessions in order to go ahead with demolition.

If the community stands tall & doesn't accept any of their proposals that involve demolishing the current structure then Braums will look really bad if they go ahead with plans & I honestly doubt they will demolish the buildings. If the community accepts the proposals even in the slightest bit what will probably be added landscaping and/or a unique Braums concept then Braums will go ahead & the community will have nobody to blame but themselves.

I'm hoping members of the neighborhood don't accept any proposal that involves demolishing this structure.

I actually think braums hiring that particular firm is about as bad of news there could be for those that want the buildings saved

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I actually think braums hiring that particular firm is about as bad of news there could be for those that want the buildings saved
    Especially since they only brought him in after the public uproar.

You don't go hire expensive property attorneys to not get what you want.

I'm hoping members of the neighborhood don't accept any proposal that involves demolishing this structure.
    Do they have a choice?

6. Default Re: Classen Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Especially since they only brought him in after the public uproar.

You don't go hire expensive property attorneys to not get what you want.
    Exactly and it's been my experience that he usually gets his clients what they want.

Braums will look really bad if they go ahead with plans & I honestly doubt they will demolish the buildings.
    What, and please be precise, has Braum's done recently to indicate they give the tiniest crap what people think?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    What, and please be precise, has Braum's done recently to indicate they give the tiniest crap what people think?
    Oh this is easy. They made their burgers smaller to try to help out with our (Nation's and State's) growing obesity rates. They then went above and beyond and included shakes as typical beverage option for their meals, taking away nasty drinks like soda pops. Really a good move on their part. They're truly an Oklahoma pioneer in terms of offering smaller portions and healthier options for their patrons.

And I haven't even mentioned the fact that they are trying to tear down the "Devil's Brothel" the Hi-Lo Club. Good, staunch Christian values Braums has.

BTW, when I talked to Janis Powers (chair of the Planning Commission) about this Braum's matter she said that she always strongly encourages an applicant of anything even slightly controversial to meet with nearby neighbors.

I get this feeling this is all about checking that box rather any real intention to compromise on the demolition.

Braum's Corporate Office number is 405-478-1656. I recommend calling and leaving a message with them... regularly. I just did so.

I will say this... if the current owners aren't willing to do the investment to repair the structures there, and if there isn't another buyer interested in restoring them, as much as I love the unique architecture, I don't think they should be saved just so we can watch them continue to crumble and decay.

I still think braum's is a poor fit at that location (and doesn't make sense from a traffic flow standpoint).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I will say this... if the current owners aren't willing to do the investment to repair the structures there, and if there isn't another buyer interested in restoring them, as much as I love the unique architecture, I don't think they should be saved just so we can watch them continue to crumble and decay.

I still think braum's is a poor fit at that location (and doesn't make sense from a traffic flow standpoint).
    Agreed with all of this.

My understanding is the current owner has turned down multiple offers to buy in the past.

I also believe he may have a personal relationship with a member of the Braum's family.

First, building have been in far, far worse condition and made great comebacks (see 9th street houses). Second, aren't there operating businesses currently occupying the building, including a historic one? You're talking about the building like it's unocupied. There's just no good reason to tear down this building, especially in a city that's already torn down half it's history.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    First, building have been in far, far worse condition and made great comebacks (see 9th street houses). Second, aren't there operating businesses currently occupying the building, including a historic one? You're talking about the building like it's unocupied. There's just no good reason to tear down this building, especially in a city that's already torn down half it's history.
    I'm not saying there's a good reason, and I'd rather it be saved. I just don't know if it will. And it's condition has deteriorated and I can't imagine the costs to repair. So there are 4 options. Either someone is going to purchase the building besides Braum's and fix it up, Braum's buys it and demolishes it, someone else buys it and demolishes it, the current owner or the new owner keep it in the condition it's in now and it continues to deteriorate. The current owners obviously aren't interested in restoring the building, and we have no idea if the rumored other folks who've offered to buy the building were planning on fixing it up or demolishing it.

My ideal scenario is it's restored. But failing that, well, I just hope the unique signage and such will be saved and displayed somewhere.

The problem with these four scenarios is you imply the building is in dire condition and needs immediate rehab. I don't agree that the situation is that dire. If it happens in two, four, or six years, that's fine. There's no need for any group to be rash and demand an immediate solution to improving the building long term. Let's not have another situation where a corporation creates a false narrative that requires immediate demolition as Devon dishonestly did to make way for the new tower.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Braum's Corporate Office number is 405-478-1656. I recommend calling and leaving a message with them... regularly. I just did so.
    I called them and let them know I'll never be eating or spending any money there ever again.

I'm not saying there's a good reason, and I'd rather it be saved. I just don't know if it will. And it's condition has deteriorated and I can't imagine the costs to repair. So there are 4 options. Either someone is going to purchase the building besides Braum's and fix it up, Braum's buys it and demolishes it, someone else buys it and demolishes it, the current owner or the new owner keep it in the condition it's in now and it continues to deteriorate. The current owners obviously aren't interested in restoring the building, and we have no idea if the rumored other folks who've offered to buy the building were planning on fixing it up or demolishing it.

My ideal scenario is it's restored. But failing that, well, I just hope the unique signage and such will be saved and displayed somewhere.
    The buildings are in less than stellar condition, I'll agree with that. But do you expect a Braum's to be any better? Have you been in a Braum's lately?

I already said Braums is a poor fit for this location so I won't respond to those strawmen.

It was tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It was tongue in cheek.
    Ok, sorry then. I felt like people were getting too involved in my devil's advocate comments.

Pete, after the NFL game was over last night, I was doing dishes and heard OKC Talk on the TV. Looked up and they (KFOR) were talking about this development and crediting you. I felt proud in that moment. Excited for you and the partnership you have with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    Pete, after the NFL game was over last night, I was doing dishes and heard OKC Talk on the TV. Looked up and they (KFOR) were talking about this development and crediting you. I felt proud in that moment. Excited for you and the partnership you have with them.
    Thanks!

KFOR has been wonderful to work with.

Ok, sorry then. I felt like people were getting too involved in my devil's advocate comments.
    We cool

Thread Information