Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Worst local commercial?

Default Re: Worst local commercial?

what about the annoying commercials for "Empire Today"? The service that sells carpet and tile for your home and has the old man doing the voiceover announcement with his whispy little way he speaks.

then at the end of the commercial theres that lady singing in her best 1940s-esque tone at the top of her lungs..."call 1-800-588-2300...EMMMPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRREEEEEEE"..... .

then the old man immediately follows by saying ...."..today"

How about the Rise & Shine Oklahoma commercial with David Payne running across all those stupid fake backgrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Remember the cowboy that used to do the Credit Jewelry commercials?
    yeaah, those were annoying, but i still kinda miss them. those were kinda long commercials too. hed be riding his horse and in the background it would play some cheesy song...i think it was "thats what friends are for" by dionne warwick..i dont know.

but hed be talking to you, like you was his long lost friend he aint seen since the shootout at the ponderosa, and the next thing you know hes telling you that anyone can get jewelry regardless if they even have one red cent to their name.

Remember The old Del Rancho commercials? The little kid come thru The doors like he's in a Western and say's- Steak sandwich supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    Remember The old Del Rancho commercials? The little kid come thru The doors like he's in a Western and say's- Steak sandwich supreme!
    It still runs. Plus, he said "Steak sandwich supweme." It's odd. Not many people put that kid down, but do the girl from Richardson Homes fairly frequently. My how times change... What a shame.

The Del Rancho commercials were a spoof on the James Coburn beer commercials. Or was it malt liquor? I do not remember the brand. The Uptown Thrift Store commercial is so stupid I think it is kind of funny. There is a radio commercial I hear on AOL Radio for a company that leases college text books that talks about how one can save "a buttload of cash". I do not like this expression and think it is crude. It is hard enough to try to teach young people to use professional language in the work place without commercials like that. I have always enjoyed locally produced commercials even if they are annoying. Remember Pee Wee Dalton's boots? He would say at the end of the commercial "Please come see us". Remember "Hi, I am Tom Padgam". I used to jump out of my skin when those commercials come on.

One irritant of television commercials is when the commercial comes on and it is much louder than the other programming. I wish the television stations would do something about this.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post

That is supposedly Jack Elliott (KYIS AM DJ)....

I have heard the Jack Elliot story but when the commercial came out the boy was supposed to be the brother of a girl I went to school with at Putnam City West whose name was, get this-Pepper Minton. Her family was connected to an advertising firm called Kaiser & Kaiser, I believe. Maybe jack Elliot grew up with a different name.

Bigray in Ok

Are Ya Christian? Are Ya single? LOL! any1 remember this commercial?

10. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Isn't Jack Elliot from Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    The Oklahoma Lottery is running commercials with school kids thanking the lottery for money for education. I think this is tacky. The kids in the commercials can not even buy lottery tickets. I know school kids benefit from a lot of things adults do, but the lottery commercials are creepy to me.

Bigray in Ok
    Yep, Bigray, to me the irony of this commercial is that maybe $30 million could buy all those things, but they can't tell us what really was bought with that money.

I read through the entire thread. Nobody specifically mentioned the Norman Nobody commercial where he promises that if they give you lowest price on a new Chrysler Jeep or Dodge, they will GIVE you the car free...DOO DAH! It makes me ill and might even be offensive to some. I actually ALWAYS turn off the radio when I hear the start of the commercial. Randy Colton is a funny guy, if he is doing stand-up, but he's too stiff and rehearsed on tape.

Remember the Penny Auto Parts commercials...the customer would walk in and ask if they had a part on stock that he needed, and out of nowhere, someone would throw lug wrench, oil filter, or other auto part at the clerk at the desk who would catch it and present it to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethrol View Post
    I'm going to smash something if I hear that gay ass Cox Communications song.
    To expand on that point: If Cox had some viable competition in this market, I probably wouldn't mind (as much) seeing their commercials four times an hour...on my already-too-expensive Cox cable system...when the Cox digital cable box isn't busy shutting itself off for no apparent reason and taking five minutes or more to reboot, while listening to my mother-in-law complain about how she hates our television when there's a perfectly good one available in the guest bedroom where she sleeps, but she has no problem hogging the main one in the living room while the cable box is working...sandwiched in between endless ads for medicines that will cure whatever's ailing you (especially depression), if the side effects don't kill you first...whew.

In any event, I'm not familiar with the "gay ass song" you're talking about, so my ignorance must be paying off, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by AAC2005 View Post
    To expand on that point: If Cox had some viable competition in this market, I probably wouldn't mind (as much) seeing their commercials four times an hour...on my already-too-expensive Cox cable system...when the Cox digital cable box isn't busy shutting itself off for no apparent reason and taking five minutes or more to reboot, while listening to my mother-in-law complain about how she hates our television when there's a perfectly good one available in the guest bedroom where she sleeps, but she has no problem hogging the main one in the living room while the cable box is working...sandwiched in between endless ads for medicines that will cure whatever's ailing you (especially depression), if the side effects don't kill you first...whew.

In any event, I'm not familiar with the "gay ass song" you're talking about, so my ignorance must be paying off, LOL!
    "I look up to you..."

Bigray in Ok

Okay, I just looked it up on Cox's website...I concede to Jethrol's description of the song. My sympathies to the Thunder fans who have to be punished with this at an increased volume.

(My wife thinks the little kid imitating the repair guy is adorable, though!)

The fat guy breastfeeding a baby. That is so disturbing. I think it's for a gym...I never find out because I change the channel.

remember the local ad from the mid 1980s about drunk driving. featured two hillibilly redneck lookin dudes sitting together in a pickup truck singing "good ole boys dont drink and drive....good ole boys dont drink and drive....and thats a fact!"

i always thought the way KOCO ended each newscast back in the 1980s was sooo velveeta cheesy....everyone was shown making this silly hand gesture by placing their index finger and thumb together forming a letter "O", with their remaning three fingers extended as if to somehow form a letter "K"...like OK, for Oklahoma.

only thing cheesier than that was that saturday morning childrens show they had with the old man dressed up like a circus clown with the hand puppet made from a dirty, old used sock.

discount remodelers nuff said

"Super" Ed Cox, Ed Cox TV & Appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post

only thing cheesier than that was that saturday morning childrens show they had with the old man dressed up like a circus clown with the hand puppet made from a dirty, old used sock.
    C'mon, you aren't gonna pick on HoHo and Pokey the Puppet, are you? HoHo was a nice guy that used to go out and visit hospitalized kids and old people in nursing homes on his own time. My first wife used to babysit his grandkids and she said he was truly a good guy, on and off camera. His show was done live so there was some comedic moments that only the adults would get. Anybody remember when the Tempest Levitator would malfunction(tape would break)?

Pokey wasn't dirty...that was the color of the sock before he was "born". Other than picking on Jeannie(the REAL dog) incessantly, he was a nice guy...er..puppet too(except for ONE night at the Wilshire Club when he clearly had too many drinks and tried to pick up a pair of hose...with the lady still in them).

Mr. Spriggs BBQ. Not widely played, but memorable.

YouTube - Full Length Mr. Spriggs Bar B Q commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T in OKC View Post
    Mr. Spriggs BBQ. Not widely played, but memorable.

YouTube - Full Length Mr. Spriggs Bar B Q commercial
    DANG 200,000 views on YT.. People must like that commercial!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    DANG 200,000 views on YT.. People must like that commercial!
    That or either there's a bathroom wall scribble "For a good laugh go to.............

Thread Information