Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Five Guys

Default Re: Anyone been to the Five Guys in University Park?

I've never had Five Guys but the way y'all talk about their fries make me want to try it out.

One order of fries at Five Guys is almost 1,500 (!!) calories. For most people, that's about 75% of all the calories you should be eating in a full day.

And I don't even think they are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    One order of fries at Five Guys is almost 1,500 (!!) calories. For most people, that's about 75% of all the calories you should be eating in a full day.

And I don't even think they are very good.
    That's for a LARGE fries... which is 4 servings...

One Serving (half a regular order) 310 calories
    Regular order 620 calories
    Large 1474 calories

A Little Cheesburger (single patty) is 550 calories... if you have that with half a regular fries you are looking at less than 900 calories... not necessarily healthy, but also not too bad for an occasional meal.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    That's for a LARGE fries... which is 4 servings...

One Serving (half a regular order) 310 calories
    Regular order 620 calories
    Large 1474 calories

A Little Cheesburger (single patty) is 550 calories... if you have that with half a regular fries you are looking at less than 900 calories... not necessarily healthy, but also not too bad for an occasional meal.
    I go here from time to time, and there are times that you're going have to just not be so uptight about how many calories are in what.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Wonder where she would go to get a better burger than 5 Guys?
    The Diner, Sooner Dairy Lunch, The Service Station, O'Connell's, even Wendy's(never frozen).

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The Diner, Sooner Dairy Lunch, The Service Station, O'Connell's, even Wendy's(never frozen).
    Your list, plus Braum's at Porter/Robinson, and Abner's. Although, I'm not a fan of Service Station. Not bad food. It just never really clicked with me.

Wife and I went there Friday afternoon. Both agree it's way overrated. Burger was okay and fries so-so. Be okay in a pinch. What struck us was they had fifteen people working and it still took about ten minutes to get our order out and only two ahead of us. So far best place we've found is Tucker's. Great burgers and even better fries. My wife loves their "The One Salad" as much as their burgers. Went Saturday (after Whole Foods, but that's a whole 'nother story), pretty busy, but order was out in a few minutes and was great.

Whoever said Carl's Jr. or Sonic had better burgers than 5 Guys must have about 3 taste buds. Braum's on the other hand is pretty competitive burger wise. None of the aforementioned can compete with 5 Guys's fries, however. . .

I think their burgers are good, but I'd prefer burgers from Republic, Irma's, Service Station, and Tucker's. Someone told me the Garage has great burgers, but I haven't tried one... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    Whoever said Carl's Jr. or Sonic had better burgers than 5 Guys must have about 3 taste buds. Braum's on the other hand is pretty competitive burger wise. None of the aforementioned can compete with 5 Guys's fries, however. . .
    Actually, I dinna say Carl's or Sonic were better, simply noted they were nearby. I was following up on a poster who held the opinion 5Guys fries were to die for, but the 5G burgers were overpriced. For someone who cares more for the fries, it's a viable option.

Oh, and Kilgore, Garage on E Main does have decent grub. I like the Bison the best. A friend swears by the turkey burger. Oddly though, no one I am close with swears by their ordinary burger. But Norman has some great burgers around, so simply being a tasty beef burger doesn't get a sandwich all that far.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Actually, I dinna say Carl's or Sonic were better, simply noted they were nearby. I was following up on a poster who held the opinion 5Guys fries were to die for, but the 5G burgers were overpriced. For someone who cares more for the fries, it's a viable option.

Oh, and Kilgore, Garage on E Main does have decent grub. I like the Bison the best. A friend swears by the turkey burger. Oddly though, no one I am close with swears by their ordinary burger. But Norman has some great burgers around, so simply being a tasty beef burger doesn't get a sandwich all that far.
    My bad. Apologies! I will agree with the consensus that the 5 guys burgers are overpriced. I've not been to the one in Norman yet, but the ones in Austin and Moore were both delicious as long as you don't mind throwing cash out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1983 View Post
    I go here from time to time, and there are times that you're going have to just not be so uptight about how many calories are in what.
    Agree, but you probably don't want to be hitting Five Guys (or any burger joint) on a weekly basis.

I looked this up in my system (I work for Oklahoma Gazette) and no one had claimed them so I gave them a call and asked who is the person that handles the marketing decisions and they told me they have never advertised and they will never advertise... Congratulations to them! It seems they are doing just fine - tired of the money! LOL

Seems over priced at first glance but as others have pointed out, similar prices just about anyplace you go anymore (unless you order off value menu). Carl's $6 Dollar Burger is coming dangerously close to actually costing $6 bucks (think when they first came out with it was in the $3 and change...now it is $5 and change).

My vote for favorite burger (haven't tried Smashburger or 5 Guys yet) is Big Ed's (double burger basket) and Braums is a close 2nd place. Tuckers is very good and if I am in the area, will drop by. Most of the other places mentioned that I have tried (Irmas etc have been major disappointments).

Can't remember now if it was 5 Guys or Smashburger but their smallest burger was bigger than a McDonald's Quarter Pounder??? And nutritional numbers were similarly not exactly "healthy".

It's a good burger, but I agree having one isn't a life changing experience. I would say it is an upgrade over most (but not all) fast food burgers in the same way Panera is an upgrade over fast food places that have sandwiches. Their burgers are really juicy for being so well done... I have to believe they must have a fairly high fat content to accomplish that. But my general attitude on that is who cares if you're only going there once a month.

16. Default Re: Anyone been to the Five Guys in University Park?

I've always enjoyed 5 Guys it's a Good Burger (FASTFOOD). Can't Please EVERYONE I guess from the review she wrote. I've liked them in this state and many others, very glad to see them in the OKC area and looking forward to seeing them add some more stores.

This article illustrates that some people just don't understand there are differences between burger places, if you want a $5-6.00 meal, stick with the fast food franchises. I think Whataburger and Braum's is hard to beat for their price point, I wish we had both of them up here. The 5 Guys and Smashburger are $10.00 burger places, I have been to Smashburger a few times since the one on the 16th Street Mall is close to my office. I was not impressed by 5 Guys in Austin, it was fine, just nothing special to me. One of the best burgers that I have had is at Bartlett's (formerly Houston's) in Austin, which is similar to Charleston's but it is about a $16.00 burger meal but it is tremendous. Charleston's and Houston's always seemed to have the same menu.

Bluedog - try the Cherry Cricket in North Cherry Creek. My favorite burger place in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Bluedog - try the Cherry Cricket in North Cherry Creek. My favorite burger place in Denver.
    My friend told me about that place as well.

Made my first trip to 5 Guys this afternoon. 12 and change for a large drink, reg. fry and a reg bacon cheeseburger for me. About 30-50% more than anyplace else that comes quickly to mind. Very few folk giving it a try today.

I sat and read and did some texts after I ate, and in addition to my table, I don't think there were ever more than three other four-tops in play.

Burger was well prepared, tasty, but truthfully, it dinna rock my world the way it does for some. Now the fries, well, I guess there's been too much build up seeping into me from my reading here. There were plentiful, and they were thick enough and they were tasty. At the same time, they weren't all that and then some. Sort of like the burger, they were fine, but not OMG! fine the way some folk carry on about them.

In truth, the fries seemed a tad overdone. Not enough to turn them back and say please try again, but enough that for a place known for the fries it was a wee bit of a surprise.

I can see me going back, but mainly because it is now the closest burger barn to me that is not a Carl's or Sonic. Working against them though is the Braum's dbl bacon cheese is really just about as tasty, possibly have more meat and cheese, I can get a real thick strawberry shake if I want one, there's not a mile's difference in driving, and the price point way more than offsets the slight extra distance And, 5 Guys isn't any faster from order to serve than Braum's is.

Try the Cajun seasoning on the burger. Tasty.

My youngest, home for the holidays, suggested calling Chedder's for a to-go order. A Smokehouse, A BaconCheesburger, and two fries clocked in under 15.00 for us. Far better burger than I expected, faster than 5Guys, and calling in before he drove to pick up had him back every bit as fast as ordering at a window at any of the driveups in the same area. I'm not a huge fan of their interior, but for a callout order, it is definitely a contender from now on.

Default 5 Guys Burgers & Fries coming to OKC!

Just got this transaction press release from CB Richard Ellis:

• Five Guys Burgers and Fries leased 2,700 square feet of space at 6900 Northwest Expressway in Oklahoma City. This transaction was handled by Alaina McGlothlin, CCIM with CB Richard Ellis|Oklahoma.

• Five Guys Burgers and Fries leased 2,400 square feet of space at 2300 West Memorial Road in Oklahoma City. This transaction was handled by Alaina McGlothlin, CCIM with CB Richard Ellis|Oklahoma.

OKC continues to show strong retail and restaurant growth!

Default Re: 5 Guys Burgers & Fries coming to OKC!

Great news for wallets on diets and bull market bellies!

Default Re: 5 Guys Burgers & Fries coming to OKC!

I've been meaning to try the one in Norman but any time we're up there we end up at Tulio's or Cheddars. Is it pretty good?

Thread Information