Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Not quite the same as the big dance halls of the late 70's and early 80's. But have been there a few times unwanted.
    Large dance halls of the 70's and early 80's were The Sooner Broadcast System, After the Gold Rush. Country joints were for drinking. Never heard a country song that I could dance too. Line Dancing? If I am going to dance in unison with people I want a contract and pay!!!!

Then you never went to Graham's then it was Markley's then back to Grahams, or slow danced to Conway's Hello Darlin, or waltzed to Could I have this Dance by Anne Murray. OR...........the southside shuffle..

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Large dance halls of the 70's and early 80's were The Sooner Broadcast System, After the Gold Rush. Country joints were for drinking. Never heard a country song that I could dance too. Line Dancing? If I am going to dance in unison with people I want a contract and pay!!!!
    I remember the name After the Gold Rush, but not the location. Please describe its location.

Not only was Cedar Palace the greatest "joint" in OKC in 1980 it was owned by a Redskin from the hill. Is there anyone who remembers this place?

Trueloves! Grand and Robinson. Two great shuffleboard tables!

No, No, No these were not beer drinking dives...these were the real OKC Honky Tonks.

No, No, No these were not beer drinking dives...these were the real OKC Honky Tonks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All right, if you guys are trying to impress us how about the TG&Y Snackbar at 29th/S. May Ave...Take that....

I always thought the Diamond and the Westerneer were the real OKC honky tonks. But I do recognize some of the names.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    I always thought the Diamond and the Westerneer were the real OKC honky tonks. But I do recognize some of the names.
    Thanks Twinkles for memories. The Cedar Palace was really more of an after hours dance hall than a joint. We would have over 650 in there about 3:00 a.m. that were having a real good time. I have memories there that are never going to get replaced!

You must not remember who worked there and then someones Dad that did not like me to come over there! Snack bar at 74th & Penn 2nd to none for really bad food.

You must not remember who worked there and then someones Dad that did not like me to come over there! Snack bar at 74th & Penn 2nd to none for really bad food.
    How could you tell the food was bad, Your brain cells were so focused on S.D. your tast buds didn't even work!

anyone rember a place called rays i think it was around sw 55 and blackwelder by a school. was a real small place but had some of the best ribs and bar b que

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    anyone rember a place called rays i think it was around sw 55 and blackwelder by a school. was a real small place but had some of the best ribs and bar b que
    I do! And it was some of the best BBQ I ever had.

Prunepicker Guest

Not sorely missed, but, Filthy McNasty's. Later it became the Jail, or vice
    versa. It was a great place for the police to round up 90% of all under age
    drinkers in one stop.

That's what I was told, ahem...

Really getting back there, Jack's Steak House at 58th and S. Penn. Jack Cornelius Sr. had the best home made salad dressing ever! Great place!

I miss Dirty John's South that was on S.W. 89th near Shields. It was a bar before Dirty Johns (Can't remember the name) and later became Hobby Lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I miss Dirty John's South that was on S.W. 89th near Shields. It was a bar before Dirty Johns (Can't remember the name) and later became Hobby Lobby.
    Wasn't it Filthy McNasty's?

Rick

The Rendezvous
    1604 S. Midwest Blvd.
    (OK, technically, it's not OKC, but I still miss it.)

ned's pizza on or about ww 27 and mat by the taft stadium. good and greazzzzy

ned's pizza on or about ww 27 and mat by the taft stadium. good and greazzzzy
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    how about Ne'd Sub Sandwich????? or Lasagna.....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    how about Ned's Sub Sandwich? or Lasagna?
    I'm getting real hungry... and we just ate!

Prunepicker Guest

ned's pizza on or about ww 27 and mat by the taft stadium. good and
    greazzzzy
    It was next door to the Golden Pheasant restaurant. Man, how have we
    survived?

EBM
    Star Seven Diskotek
    or does anyone know bout dat!

The Free Spirit would let anyone in as long as you purchased a "membership"! I think it was $5.00 bucks. In the 70's we had "liquor by the wink" and displaying the membership card allowed you to purchase a mixed cocktail without BYOB. Also, displaying the membership card guaranteed no ID check.The Free Spirit was located on Classen, had a wonderful sound system/dance floor and was frequented by many gay folks, straight folks who were not bothered by the aforementioned and of course, all the underage folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    The Free Spirit would let anyone in as long as you purchased a "membership"! I think it was $5.00 bucks. In the 70's we had "liquor by the wink" and displaying the membership card allowed you to purchase a mixed cocktail without BYOB. Also, displaying the membership card guaranteed no ID check.The Free Spirit was located on Classen, had a wonderful sound system/dance floor and was frequented by many gay folks, straight folks who were not bothered by the aforementioned and of course, all the underage folks!
    Since at 18 you could legally go to beer bars and they closed at midnight, we found a place to get in with altered draft cards. The Free Spirit. Mixed drinks and closed at 2:00. Never had any problems with the gay patrons.

Thread Information