Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    I had a random question while driving on the new I-335 today. Isn't it weird that the exits/mile markers are numbered as if the road goes all the way to the state line? I feel like the exits/mile markers are numbered on most bypasses as to the end of that road. The exit numbers basically line up with those of I-35. It's like on I-240, the exits are numbered from 1 to 14.

I am also guessing that since I-240 exit 1 is at the termination at I-44, they will have to renumber exits to extend it to the I-344 interchange. I guess matching the bypass exit numbers to the main route exit numbers eliminates the risk of having to renumber all the exits in the case of future expansions?

Attachment 18700
    It looks like they did similar on 344, basically continuing the exiting numbers from 44/Turner Turnpike, though in that case it basically is the mainline continuing on like it were one turnpike, which for their mantence purposes it practically is. Since 44 was not really build as one road, as 35 and 40 had been, but badging a few ring road segments and multiple turnpikes to look like a planned long route so it has to exit onto itself multiple times in OKC and a couple times in Tulsa. Ironically if 44 had not happened at the time, may have ended up called our whole inner ring 240 decades before trying it with the mostly turnpike ring more recently.

Also it google update maps, so 344 is now showing up north of 40, though does not have either 344 south of 40 or the 240 extension.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Google Maps Shows the Kickapoo as Interstate 335 Currently doesn't show the Kilpatrick as I 344 Yet
    I344 Now Shows in Google Maps. the I240 Expansion is yet to show

Construction signs going up at the Wellston exit on the Turner. An Access Oklahoma project or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Construction signs going up at the Wellston exit on the Turner. An Access Oklahoma project or something else?
    A little of both. The OK66 overpass was scheduled to be replaced. When ACCESS OK came along, they were able to accelerate the project and add ramp improvements.

Access oklahoma just Added 57 additional construction eprojects

The Kickapoo turnpike from I 40 to SE 149th street, is now in the active design phase

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    The Kickapoo turnpike from I 40 to SE 149th street, is now in the active design phase
    Good to hear - what is the timeline for starting construction?

It still seems like it would have worked better for the metro traffic balance to remain more north/south, and meet I-40 near where I-240 branches off from it. Thus relives traffic from I-35 from those on east side of Noman to downtown OKC. If built like this that adds like eight-nine more miles, so will continue to push people to take I-35 unless check map and see it is severely backed up.

I’ve said the same repeatedly, and to ODOT. We get this mess.

This should get a lot of thru truck traffic out away from 35 as I read somewhere that most trucks coming up I35 get on I44 and go NE through Tulsa and vice versa. Now it's not every truck no, but it's the majority apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It still seems like it would have worked better for the metro traffic balance to remain more north/south, and meet I-40 near where I-240 branches off from it. Thus relives traffic from I-35 from those on east side of Noman to downtown OKC. If built like this that adds like eight-nine more miles, so will continue to push people to take I-35 unless check map and see it is severely backed up.
    the inner NE loop that was killed in the 90's would have done wonders for the development and property values of the NE side ..

12. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Was that the Sooner Rd route?

We don't need anymore turnpikes. Just make them regular highways. I refuse to pay anymore than I already do through taxes to drive on a road.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    We don't need anymore turnpikes. Just make them regular highways. I refuse to pay anymore than I already do through taxes to drive on a road.
    your taxes don't pay for any of the turnpikes .. that is the point .... your taxes would need to go up for them not to be turnpikes

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    your taxes don't pay for any of the turnpikes .. that is the point .... your taxes would need to go up for them not to be turnpikes
    Sounds like we just don't need to build them then.

Sounds like we just don't need to build them then.
    If you don't like them don't drive on them. Simple as that. Won't get any of your money that way.

And then in 15 years when you complain about Traffic on I-35. you can wonder why these were never built.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    And then in 15 years when you complain about Traffic on I-35. you can wonder why these were never built.
    Not worried about traffic. I am concerned with the cost to drive on a road that I feel like we don’t need. I will sit in traffic to not pay to drive on a road. Been doing it for 40 years.

Not worried about traffic. I am concerned with the cost to drive on a road that I feel like we don’t need. I will sit in traffic to not pay to drive on a road. Been doing it for 40 years.
    Quit being obtuse. You pay for the road you drive on and will sit on, just through taxes.

you pay for both of them. one you pay for even if you don't drive on it. But cool. so you don't want them. but guess what. many of us do. So unless you want to provide good actual reasons as to why they shouldn't exist, then we already know your opinion. no reason to hear the same single line over and over again. we get it, you don't want them built.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Quit being obtuse. You pay for the road you drive on and will sit on, just through taxes.
    I said that already. lol, I love how easy you guys get triggered.

Let's please have a rational and kind discussion.

This is getting unnecessarily angry (not pointing the finger at any one person) and let's not go down that road. It's just turnpikes.

The State of Oklahoma has the authority to turn I-35 and I-40 into turnpikes. I wish they would, then there would be no quandary of whether its worth it to drive on a "free" or toll interstate road - you are paying to drive on an interstate road so you might as well drive the most direct and fastest route so out-of-state traffic can clear the OKC area as fast as possible and not be tempted to drive through the city to avoid a toll. If out-of-state traffic wants to avoid the toll, then they can avoid driving through the state altogether - thus relieving some of the traffic in the State. The State could lower the State excise gas tax a little to make the amount of State tax income break-even. Locals who don't drive interstates at all essentially get a tax cut and those who actually use the roads actually pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolChad View Post
    The State of Oklahoma has the authority to turn I-35 and I-40 into turnpikes. I wish they would, then there would be no quandary of whether its worth it to drive on a "free" or toll interstate road - you are paying to drive on an interstate road so you might as well drive the most direct and fastest route so out-of-state traffic can clear the OKC area as fast as possible and not be tempted to drive through the city to avoid a toll. If out-of-state traffic wants to avoid the toll, then they can avoid driving through the state altogether - thus relieving some of the traffic in the State. The State could lower the State excise gas tax a little to make the amount of State tax income break-even. Locals who don't drive interstates at all essentially get a tax cut and those who actually use the roads actually pay for them.
    While I don't like this idea, I will say there is a clear difference of traveling I-35 in Kansas along the Kansas Turnpike compared to the "free" I-35 in Oklahoma. I-35 is a major corridor from San Antonio all the way to Minneapolis for commerce and there isn't really another quality north/south route that would be a good use of time to save a few bucks, and I don't think a toll on either of these roads (I35 and I40) would divert much cross country traffic as I-70 and I-20 are quite far away from I40.

Do I sigh paying $5.00 one way every time I go to Tulsa on the Turner Turnpike, sure? But I'll pay that $5 for convenience over taking the two-lane 55mph twisty road of Route 66 the entire length from Edmond to Sapulpa.

Toll roads are just going to become more common due to technology and the "green movement" to make people pay for their carbon. The only limiting reason against turnpikes: "booths in the middle of the road" is now gone.

Thread Information