Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lofts at Maywood Park

Default Re: Maywood Lofts

Walked by the Lofts tonight and saw them setting up the salon. I cannot remember its name, however.

Blog Entries

I think everyone will be amazed at how much more retail will be possible with the Level apts. and the hotel across the street. The Lofts retail was going to struggle due to lack of people walking by.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Walked by the Lofts tonight and saw them setting up the salon. I cannot remember its name, however.
    Just drove by and the salon is open, but I forgot the name as well. I guess you could say it's forgettable. Still good to finally see some retail.

For what it's worth, it's called Flux Salon http://www.facebook.com/fluxsalonokc

5. Default Re: Maywood Lofts

I'm not sure retail will be so tough there after Level and ALoft open, plus more move-ins in Maywood. Once that area is teeming with people, I don't believe the above-street-level retail will be quite the impediment it currently is perceived to be.

6. Default Re: Maywood Lofts

Drove by again today, and I can say as someone who already has two retail operations downtown that I would welcome a chance to put something into that retail frontage, in light of the impending changes to that neighborhood. Well, I would welcome it if I had the time or resources. While the step-up was a bad idea, I really do see retail happening in those storefronts.

Seems inevitable really with restaurants and and grocery just down the road.

I know men could go to the salon that opened up, but it would be cool if a retro type men's barber shop opened up down there. That and a pharmacy should be the next service type stores that go downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Seems inevitable really with restaurants and and grocery just down the road.

I know men could go to the salon that opened up, but it would be cool if a retro type men's barber shop opened up down there. That and a pharmacy should be the next service type stores that go downtown.
    There is a pharmacy downtown in FNC. Pretty small though. Nothing like a CVS or Walgreens if that is what you were thinking.

9. Default Re: Maywood Lofts

Also a great old-school downtown barber (Jack Jenkins) in the Underground. His former shop is now also open as a barber shop and salon on the 14th floor of the First National Tower, if you're looking more for a cool old barber shop feel instead of a cool old-school barber. That space is mostly untouched since the early 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    There is a pharmacy downtown in FNC. Pretty small though. Nothing like a CVS or Walgreens if that is what you were thinking.
    That's good to hear. I was just talking about an independent pharmacy, nothing big.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Also a great old-school downtown barber (Jack Jenkins) in the Underground. His former shop is now also open as a barber shop and salon on the 14th floor of the First National Tower, if you're looking more for a cool old barber shop feel instead of a cool old-school barber. That space is mostly untouched since the early 1930s.
    Awesome!

12. Default Re: Maywood Lofts

Here's a photo of the barbershop on the 14th floor of First National, which looks almost exactly the same 80 years later. That said, if you want an old-school BARBER - with hot foam neck shaves and shoeshines, etc. - I recommend Jack in the Underground below BancFirst.

Last week it was reported that the Hefner Company was moving out of First National after 60 years, due to neglect of the building.

Today they were issued a building permit to improve 5,555 square feet at Maywood Lofts.

The permit lists the suite as #208 but I believe they are taking most of the 2nd floor of the west end of that complex.

Awesome!

15. Default Re: Maywood Lofts

John Hefner is a first-class guy. I had many enjoyable conversations with him when I was with the Automobile Alley Main Street program and during my short time at Downtown OKC Inc. He loves downtown. Glad to see him staying downtown and making an impact east of the tracks. That's a good thing for that neighborhood.

Great for that area, but stinks for First National.

I know someone who works for the CLO there and they too are seriously considering bailing on FNC because of all of the backlogged maintenence.

BTW, just for my own curiosity, but I think I'm confusing the Hefner Company for GMX Energy, which is owned by Robert Hefner. These are not the same, correct?

How many employees will occupy this space?

There will be 4 to 7 people there, depending on the day of the week and other factors. We're going to move in as soon as possible, but we think it will probably be March or April. And adaniel, you are correct -- different companies. The Hefner Company, Inc. is owned by John Hefner. (I'm with the company, as you no doubt determined.)

Default Re: Lofts at Maywood Park

What is the deal with the street lights off in front of The Lofts at Maywood Park and along 2nd Street from EK Gaylord until Walnut. It is ridiculously dark and dangerous at night. I just moved in and frequently feel uncomfortable when I have to take my dog to go to the bathroom or walk home from Thunder games, restaurants, etc when it's dark out. Absurd. I've called the City, OG&E, my HOA and emailed the city council woman all to NO avail. The best answer I can get is from my HOA and they say it's from construction on LEVEL and the ALOFT hotel. If that is the truth then those developers NEED to put in temporary lighting until the construction has advanced beyond a point where the city street lights need to be off.

Anyone know about this? Have an opinion? I am VERY frustrated about it and would like some insight please.

20. Default Re: Lofts at Maywood Park

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    What is the deal with the street lights off in front of The Lofts at Maywood Park and along 2nd Street from EK Gaylord until Walnut. It is ridiculously dark and dangerous at night. I just moved in and frequently feel uncomfortable when I have to take my dog to go to the bathroom or walk home from Thunder games, restaurants, etc when it's dark out. Absurd. I've called the City, OG&E, my HOA and emailed the city council woman all to NO avail. The best answer I can get is from my HOA and they say it's from construction on LEVEL and the ALOFT hotel. If that is the truth then those developers NEED to put in temporary lighting until the construction has advanced beyond a point where the city street lights need to be off.

Anyone know about this? Have an opinion? I am VERY frustrated about it and would like some insight please.
    That's pretty routine. You're encountering the same problem with street lights existing but not being turned on, Deep Deuce has faced it before, Film Row faced it before, none of the Oklahoma River bridges are ever turned on, and the list goes on and on..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That's pretty routine. You're encountering the same problem with street lights existing but not being turned on, Deep Deuce has faced it before, Film Row faced it before, none of the Oklahoma River bridges are ever turned on, and the list goes on and on..
    Any idea how to remedy it?

22. Default Re: Lofts at Maywood Park

I wish I knew, sometimes getting this city to do something is impossible. In Film Row it took a lot of pressure being applied by Lackmeyer:
    http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...ape-completed/

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I wish I knew, sometimes getting this city to do something is impossible. In Film Row it took a lot of pressure being applied by Lackmeyer:
    http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...ape-completed/
    Just called OG&E to follow up on my work order and they said they were out there at 10 a.m. fixing it and turning them back on - I guess the light bulbs were burnt out. So we shall see...I'll update you tomorrow.

I moved in over a year ago right as construction on The Level began, and have never seen these street lights on. Myself and most of the residents were calling the city and OGE regularly those first six months or so. The answer has always been the construction. Most of us had given up on it I imagine, but probably a good time to start chasing again now that The Level is wrapping. Good luck!

I moved in 5 months ago and I have assumed the lights were off due to the construction at LEVEL and the Aloft. Unfortunately, since construction seems to be the reason I guess we are looking at no lights until next year the Aloft is finished. It seems like the lights could be turned on between E.K. Gaylord and Oklahoma since there is no major construction on that block, although I would be happy just having the lights on under the railroad overpass. A few outdoor light at the retail spaces at LEVEL when they open would help that end somewhat.

I currently avoid 2nd Street between Oklahoma and Walnut after dark, so I just cut across the parking lot on the old rail yard since it is lit, although I could understand somebody else not wanting to cross it given how isolated it seems behind buildings or walls on every side.

Thread Information