Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave and Buster's

Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

JIB and Whataburger are nice for what could have been and should be an upscale mixed use development? I guess by OKC standards.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    JIB and Whataburger are nice for what could have been and should be an upscale mixed use development? I guess by OKC standards.
    I'm not excited by either fast food place but OKC standards has nothing to do with it. If more upscale businesses had felt that the area was appropriate for them and financially beneficial you would have likely seen them there. We're not going to see Classen Curve at every new development.
    I'm not sure I would classify Dave & Buster's as upscale anyway.

No, but it attracts a more affluent crowd, the yuppie crowd, and they are often located in more upscale developments usually.

4. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

No, but it attracts a more affluent crowd, the yuppie crowd, and they are often located in more upscale developments usually.
    And there's fast food restaurants all around the nicest of "upscale" developments. This will actually be the first Jack In The Box, I believe, in north Oklahoma City. I don't love fast food, but somebody does - they're everywhere.

I don't really see that as the case in Dallas or Austin where I spend a lot of my time outside OKC. Barcadia in Dallas and Kung Fu in Austin are neighborhood bars with vintage arcade games and their clientele is like you described. D&B has a diverse mix of clientele and you would likely see the State Fair crowd more so than yuppies once D&B opens in OKC.

Regardless of location -- and I'll agree that with this new development on a key corner, I hoped for better -- the last thing OKC needs is more fast food.

Yet, both those places will probably do well there, which is why they keep getting built.

.oO(Yuppies play skee-ball and seek out bargain priced beef?)Oo.

8. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Looking through some of the images at Dave & Buster's corporate website, Dave & Busters strikes me a something that would appeal to an adolescent audience or those just beyond that age level. But maybe that's just me being over the hill. Anyway, I doubt that I'll ever go there. Before that, I'd go to Whatabuger just to get a good burger. When dining out with friends or my spouse, I'd rather have good conversation (that I can actually hear) and good food (that I can actually enjoy eating) without all the commotion. Perhaps Dave & Busters has an old fogie room in which I would be more comfortable, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    .oO(Yuppies play skee-ball and seek out bargain priced beef?)Oo.
    Let me clarify, the suburban minded, chain restaurant loving yuppies do, not the inner city local movement yuppies. So yes, you probably will see the state fair crowd there. And the food is on par with Chili's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Regardless of location -- and I'll agree that with this new development on a key corner, I hoped for better -- the last thing OKC needs is more fast food.

Yet, both those places will probably do well there, which is why they keep getting built.
    Pete I guess we could go the route that LA has gone and outlaw new fastfood locations in some areas.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...06846020080730

Short of that, I agree with you. Those companies do marketing surveys before deciding on locations and I'm sure they will do well there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Looking through some of the images at Dave & Buster's corporate website, Dave & Busters strikes me a something that would appeal to an adolescent audience or those just beyond that age level. But maybe that's just me being over the hill. Anyway, I doubt that I'll ever go there. Before that, I'd go to Whatabuger just to get a good burger. When dining out with friends or my spouse, I'd rather have good conversation (that I can actually hear) and good food (that I can actually enjoy eating) without all the commotion. Perhaps Dave & Busters has an old fogie room in which I would be more comfortable, but I doubt it.
    Usually their main bar area has a decent amount of tv's for sports and is relatively low key

The development encompassing Dave &Buster's is being called May Crossing.

They've changed the site plan to show three fast food places instead of one plus a sit-down restaurant as had originally been indicated. And the hotel has been replaced by a strip center.

Building permits have be issued for D&B's, Jack in the Box, Whataburger and the strip center. DXL has pre-leased about half of the 21,899 square foot strip center -- it's a big & large men's clothing store. Right next to it is Sports Clips and on the other end is a dental clinic.

Do we know what the sit-down restaurant is yet, or is it not leased ???

The third restaurant has yet to be named.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Do we know what the sit-down restaurant is yet, or is it not leased ???
    I thought they were going to replace the sit-down restaurant with another fast food restaurant.. I could have read it wrong or Pete is it two fast food places with one sit-down?

Thanks for the update Pere, what a pretty underused and underwhelming use of what could have been a great mixed use project. Oh well, it beats the old car dealership.

17. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

That will be nice to have 52nd run straight through to a new stop light. They are also cooperating with Target on moving their entrance/exit to the light. I think it will end up being good for the corner and I've heard scuttlebutt regarding the restaurant at the new center and a tenant for the old Borders across the street on NWX. Both sound very good.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    That will be strange to have 52nd run straight through. They are also cooperating with Target on moving their entrance/exit to what will be the "new" 52nd with a stop light. I think it will end up being good for the corner and I've heard scuttlebutt regarding the restaurant at the new center and a tenant for the old Borders across the street on NWX. Both sound very good.
    Pray tell what you've heard :-)

There have been rumors about In-n-Out being the third restaurant but in that diagram I don't see a drive-thru for Lot #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    There have been rumors about In-n-Out being the third restaurant but in that diagram I don't see a drive-thru for Lot #3.
    As nice as it would be to have an In-n-Out that close to my office and home, I can't imagine having Jack in the Box and Whataburger in the same center. That would be way to many burger options IMO.

I am a little disappointed to see how this center is developing, nothing really special outside of Dave & Buster's. It could have been so much more, but as metro said, it sure beats Smicklas being there.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    As nice as it would be to have an In-n-Out that close to my office and home, I can't imagine having Jack in the Box and Whataburger in the same center. That would be way to many burger options IMO.

I am a little disappointed to see how this center is developing, nothing really special outside of Dave & Buster's. It could have been so much more, but as metro said, it sure beats Smicklas being there.
    Whataburger and Jack-In-The Box, need to add an In-n-Out or 5 Guys, that way all three main Arteries would be taken care of. LOL

22. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

I have heard that Whataburger has been very successful with their new store rollouts after some trouble a few years back. Now over 700 locations. Out of those 700 stores, only a dozen are the original A-framed, orange-and-white striped roofed buildings. One of those is just south of NW 36th and May Ave.

http://www.whataburger.com

I have heard that Whataburger has been very successful with their new store rollouts after some trouble a few years back. Now over 700 locations. Out of those 700 stores, only a dozen are the original A-framed, orange-and-white striped roofed buildings. One of those is just south of NW 36th and May Ave.
    The one on NW 36th & MacArthur is one of the A-frame stores.

That's the Whataburger on the Bay in Corpus Christi, pretty close to the original location. They moved their corporate HQ from Corpus to San Antonio a couple of years ago.

24. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The one on NW 36th & MacArthur is one of the A-frame stores.

That's the Whataburger on the Bay in Corpus Christi, pretty close to the original location. They moved their corporate HQ from Corpus to San Antonio a couple of years ago.
    So, we have - at least - two of the dozen original A-frames left. I've seen a lot of the newer stores throughout the southeast and they are all very nice looking. The upgrade to NWX and May from 36th will be an improvement (with the new building and much better location). Those older stores though have been there forever - will be another change in the landscape to get used to. It's funny how something like a chain burger shop can become part of the fabric of a neighborhood, especially when they have out of the ordinary shapes, colors, logos, etc.

Seems unlikely but according to the manager at the May location, they are keeping it open. That may change once the new one opens and their business shifts north.

Thread Information