Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Convergence (formerly Innovation Plaza)

Default Re: Convergence (formerly Innovation Plaza)

As excited as I am about the Dream lot and the OKANA (and I am quite excited about both), I believe Convergence to be the most exciting of the three.

Hotels, recreation and downtown living options are all great and needed. But it is Convergence and OKC staking a position in the "innovation economy" that will go the farthest towards strengthening the city's hand in coming years and decades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I've been wondering when Dream Hotel is going to be starting. Considering we have yet to see any detailed renderings of the complex, I thought it might be years away. Hopefully some other stuff gets going around the city next year as well. Make it a boom year.
    Dream deal is inked, they will be starting soon as Pete pointed out in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Dream deal is inked, they will be starting soon as Pete pointed out in that thread.
    I know. I'm just anxious to seen renderings.

HangryHippo Guest

With nothing being a certainty until it is, what are the odds all these various projects kick off? It seems like OKC has had some terrible luck with timing of big projects and with Omicron revving up, it got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    With nothing being a certainty until it is, what are the odds all these various projects kick off? It seems like OKC has had some terrible luck with timing of big projects and with Omicron revving up, it got me thinking.
    What big OKC projects have had terrible luck? I can name 20 that have finished or are in the process of finishing in just the last few years.

OKANA is going to kick off in March; so will Convergence.

700 West is already underway. Alley's End is almost certain to start in early 2022. The only real question is the Dream Hotel project but they have announced they want to be finished in 2024 which means they have to get going next year.

Nothing is ever guaranteed, but all these projects have accomplished, experienced developers behind them.

HangryHippo Guest

It’s been a long week, but I thought there had been some other projects that were set to start right as the economy would start to turn south (OAK and Covid, a Milhaus project, etc.).

I have full faith in the Chickasaws and Okana, but I was particularly curious about the chances of Convergence and Dream/Bricktown project.

OAK had never set a starting date and just this week began utility work.

It's amazing how many things got done even during the pandemic and how we have a bunch of new very big projects getting ready to start.

I didn't even mention all the MAPS and civic projects (big improvements to Paycom, Civic Center, finishing Scissortail Park, State Fair Arena, multi-purpose stadium, senior centers, youth centers, golf course clubhouses, etc.)

I've been working on a summary and it's a very long list. And two huge downtown projects will be wrapping up very soon: First National and BancFirst.

I can't remember a time when we've had so much finishing and so much starting up... And that's saying something given everything we've seen in the last 10 years.

HangryHippo Guest

The next few years are going to really change OKC. No doubt about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OAK had never set a starting date and just this week began utility work.

It's amazing how many things got done even during the pandemic and how we have a bunch of new very big projects getting ready to start.

I didn't even mention all the MAPS and civic projects (big improvements to Paycom, Civic Center, finishing Scissortail Park, State Fair Arena, multi-purpose stadium, senior centers, youth centers, golf course clubhouses, etc.)

I've been working on a summary and it's a very long list. And two huge downtown projects will be wrapping up very soon: First National and BancFirst.

I can't remember a time when we've had so much finishing and so much starting up... And that's saying something given everything we've seen in the last 10 years.
    Right as another two HUGE projects launch.

Okana and Bricktown towers

Innovation Hall approved. Goal is that the office building, hotel, and hall get built at the same time. Groundbreaking is in April:

https://journalrecord.com/2022/01/18...novation-hall/

MAPS 4 money being injected in to this project. $10 million to jump start.

Blog Entries

Not maps money going into convergence per se, into innovation hall, which has always been on the maps 4 project list, just being incorporated into the convergence site

I guess it's all symantics

here's a tweet

https://twitter.com/OKCinnovation/st...40023002640385
    Yesterday, the Oklahoma City Council approved the Master Development Agreement for Convergence to build MAPS 4 Innovation Hall! The development is set to be constructed in parallel with Convergence’s office tower, a 107-key hotel, underground parking and public green space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	259 
Size:	749.4 KB 
ID:	17291 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	229 
Size:	982.4 KB 
ID:	17292
    Wish this is what was being built instead. FSB is a lousy architecture company that shouldn't have been chosen for something like an innovation district, we have better architecture firms that are more creative and ambitious in okc. The language of the building screams cheap and all the panels throughout the development scream combustible. There's no harmony or balance, I mean you literally have a piece of the building that looks like it's being held by scaffolding. Why are there three TV screens on top of another? Why are there no trees throughout the plaza? Why grey and yellow, is that somehow supposed to look "modern". It's all kitschy honestly. I'm all for uniqueness in the urban fabric but I would have rather seen the bland glass look versus this crap. This isn't going to age well at all. Some firms need to stick to hospitals and schools.

^^^

Yes, I've been waiting for months to see if someone agrees with me that we can have nicer buildings than these. Some firms from Kansas City, Nashville, Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. can come up with designs that will blow this one out of the water.

Btw, in you opinion, which firm in OKC the best one to work with? I can't afford Rand Elliot and AHMM (they start repeating themselves recently and charge a 15% fee).

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post

Wish this is what was being built instead. FSB is a lousy architecture company that shouldn't have been chosen for something like an innovation district, we have better architecture firms that are more creative and ambitious in okc. The language of the building screams cheap and all the panels throughout the development scream combustible. There's no harmony or balance, I mean you literally have a piece of the building that looks like it's being held by scaffolding. Why are there three TV screens on top of another? Why are there no trees throughout the plaza? Why grey and yellow, is that somehow supposed to look "modern". It's all kitschy honestly. I'm all for uniqueness in the urban fabric but I would have rather seen the bland glass look versus this crap. This isn't going to age well at all. Some firms need to stick to hospitals and schools.
    I don't know. Those look way too boring and bland compared to what we're getting.

I was never a fan of FSB, but this design works and is good. I always liked Bockus Payne & Miles Architecture. Which I am surprised they didn't tap Miles, because they have designed most of the buildings in that area.

Am I missing something? The designs for this development look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Am I missing something? The designs for this development look amazing.
    If this were built in Austin, Nashville, San Francisco ect. it would be amazing. Being built in Okc usually means the same building is lacking in at least one area that every other city would've hit out the park 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    If this were built in Austin, Nashville, San Francisco ect. it would be amazing. Being built in Okc usually means the same building is lacking in at least one area that every other city would've hit out the park 100% of the time.
    Like I said I’m not sure what I missing here. The renderings that I’ve seen look absolutely incredible in something straight out of Nashville or Austin minus the height. I see no issue with this not sure what the complaints are about.

Believe you me I’m not one to be shy when complaining about Oklahoma City.

Blog Entries

Haven't seen any project proposed or built in OKC where someone didn't find something to complain about--see that as a good thing.

"Its got too much glass... It really needs more brick and mortar... There won't be enough seats... Why doesn't it match the Devon Tower... Why didn't they build a quadruple decker... "

The project is a design for a building; not a three layered strawberry pineapple birthday cake for a two year old toddler.

My point, it's not going to amount to a hill of beans. We all see and evaluate differently from our own rose colored lenses about what we want our city to become and at the same time drawing images from what we've seen in other cities. It's the same as ordering eggs from the menu, do you want 'em boiled, sunny-side up, poached, hard or soft scrambled eggs.

Let me get out of the sandbox, now I know what that dog was doing over here and he wasn't burying a bone.

Have a nice day posters.

Beans

lol, AHMM does grey and yellow in the UK all the time. this design is absolutely fine and will age perfectly.

Not sure what you are whining about, but this style happens all over the world. It is definitely modern, and will last.

The design is functional and meets all the stated goals. I think there are come constructive criticisms that can be made about some of the flourishes, such as the weird "scaffolding corner" on the east building. Maybe it will look better in person, but it looks like a lot of effort to look industrial/modern that ends up looking dumb. The three screens might be a bit much. I'm curious what they will display on a typical day.

Overall though the real discussion is what a huge impact this will have on keeping the city completive nationally by attracting major business.

Thread Information