Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

I read that. Will be interesting to see if OKC does end up following KC methods for voting.

just a point a clarification ... KC is really getting a 4 mile system (2 miles double tracked)

It seems 'rail' in contageous. SunRail (Orlando Commuter Rail System) is set to open early next year and alredy three other groups want to connect to it.

Tampa-area group looks at possible SunRail extension - Orlando Business Journal

All Abord Florida train from Orlando to Miami
    Expansion of SunRail to Tampa Metro Area
    Maglev train from Orlando Airport to Orange County Convention Center

I wouldn't be surprised if Daytona doesn't try to connect. And of course, if Daytona does it Melbourne will want to connect as well since they don't want all the tourist going to Daytona.

Saw this video yesterday and thought it was pretty informative. Even though it is about the Orlando system it goes into some of the construction challenges that would be applicable to OKC as well as an introduction to some of the terminology.

Found this map today. Although it is from 2011 it give a good overview of rail across the nation (and Canada)

Chicago doesn't have anything? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Chicago doesn't have anything? O_o
    It is already built.....

I wonder if Salt Lake City sends Istook a thank you card every time they add to the rail based transit system?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Found this map today. Although it is from 2011 it give a good overview of rail across the nation (and Canada)

It's interesting that it only lists the LA rail system as Light Rail. Actually it's a combination of Light Rail, Commuter Rail, and Subway.

Just 2 years removed from calls for closing it, the Jacksonville Skyway is set for a $20 million expansion into the downtown adjacent Brooklyn neighborhood. Note - our newsreaders here are as clueless as they get. It is not a monorail and it isn't expanding to Riverside as the story claims.

Building Up and Out in $20M Skyway Expansion | firstcoastnews.com

Apologies are owed our local newsreaders. Acting on a tip I went and looked at the Skyway and it is a monorail.

Now the transit system that is constantly under scrutiny is putting together a $20 million expansion.
    Why is it under scrutiny???? This seems awesome and I really want to see something like this here in OKC!

Tempe, AZ is getting some federal funding for their street car system. They are looking at 2 alternatives right now.

ADOT is also currently expanding the 20 mile Metro Light Rail line by 3.2 miles to the north and 3.1 miles to the east through downtown Mesa. Metro Light Rail will connect the downtown's of Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa

Why is it under scrutiny???? This seems awesome and I really want to see something like this here in OKC!
    For 20 years the Skyway was a total failure. The City (and many residents) have wanted to tear it down but if we did the City would have to repay the federal government the cost of building it - about $80 million. It cost the city about $5 million per year to operate it. The biggest challenge is that until a few years ago there were not any residential units along the line which meant ridership was limited to people going from parking garages to offices and people going to lunch. Last year the fare was eliminated and since then ridership has boomed. The last time I rode it the tram was standing room only, and that was on a Saturday.

The biggest draw back though is that it is elevated so as you ride on it you can't see what you are passing. Like skywalks and underground tunnels, it is putting the limited number of pedestrian on multiple horizontal levels - one of which has zero connectivity to anything along the route. Plus, the elevated station are expensive to build when that money could be better spent extending the distance. I wish Jacksonville would spend the money on streetcars.

For 20 years the Skyway was a total failure. The City (and many residents) have wanted to tear it down but if we did the City would have to repay the federal government the cost of building it - about $80 million. It cost the city about $5 million per year to operate it. The biggest challenge is that until a few years ago there were not any residential units along the line which meant ridership was limited to people going from parking garages to offices and people going to lunch. Last year the fare was eliminated and since then ridership has boomed. The last time I rode it the tram was standing room only, and that was on a Saturday.

The biggest draw back though is that it is elevated so as you ride on it you can't see what you are passing. Like skywalks and underground tunnels, it is putting the limited number of pedestrian on multiple horizontal levels - one of which has zero connectivity to anything along the route. Plus, the elevated station are expensive to build when that money could be better spent extending the distance. I wish Jacksonville would spend the money on streetcars.
    I think that is cool. . . you are able to see the city below.

I think that is cool. . . you are able to see the city below.
    Not really - you just see in the 2nd/3rd floor window of office buildings, unless you want to put your head against the glass and look down the side..

Not really - you just see in the 2nd/3rd floor window of office buildings, unless you want to put your head against the glass and look down the side..
    Is the monorail a replacement for a street car? I thought street cars are for short distance transport and I look at a monorail as long distance(intercity) travel. . .

The monorails I have been on top out about 40 mph. I am sure they can go faster but they are real bumpy. I know I wouldn't want to do 60 mph in one - and 80 mph - forget it.

Every once in a while you just get tired beating your head against a wall.

Under the Drudge headline of "Will Honolulu be the Next Detroit" we get this story.

Light-Rail to Nowhere: Honolulu, Hawaii's Train Boondoggle - Reason.com

I'm not going to quote anything - read it for yourself.

Smh.... sad to watch people lose their ability to see or think beyond their own nose.

The INRIX Index has estimated that Honolulu drivers waste an average of 58 hours in traffic every year during peak travel times.
    I get the feeling the time spent in traffic was originally calculated by someone who was for the project. Though given the number of tourists and some of the dense areas they have, a system could be developed there that could be first class but making your numbers sound inflated is a bad sign your argument is on shaky ground.

58 hours per year * (60 min / 1 hour) = 3480 min per year

3480 min per year / 260 weekdays per year = 13.4 minutes per weekday

I came across this book the other day. With access to the internet I am not sure if a printed book is really a viable product, but it would make an interesting coffee table book.

Transit Maps of the World: Mark Ovenden, Mike Ashworth: 9780143112655: Amazon.com: Books

Just wanted to post this information about San Antonio's soon to be under construction street car system.

After rolling out BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) last year, VIA, San Antonio's mass transit agency is now on the verge of bringing modern, wireless streetcars to the urban core of San Antonio. This is part of VIA's greater plan to introduce BRT, Streetcar and Lightrail to go along with the bus service.

The streetcar starter system will consist of two lines. One north-south and the other east-west. Both lines are funded and the start system will cost nearly 300 million dollars. The two lines should be up and running by 2017.

VIA is now in the route selection phase and will pick a route this month.

These are the "final four" routes proposed to VIA.

The overwhelming favorite has been Alternative 6.

This is one of many major projects, costing over 150 million dollars, planned for downtown San Antonio.

The others are:

Hemisfair Park redevelopment (150 million)
    San Pedro Creek redevelopment (175-200 million)
    San Antonio Convention Center expansion (325-350 million)

So, with the street car included, there is nearly 1 billion dollars being invested into the downtown area of San Antonio during the next 3-4 years.

Well, today, VIA chose Alternative 6. The longest and most expensive of the four choices. The north/south line will also be extended to reach the Southtown district.

VIA Metropolitan Transit planners Tuesday recommended building the longest and most expensive of the streetcar routes under consideration for the agency's first rail line.

Known as Alternative 6, the route would be 5.9 miles long, cost $280 million to build and require $8.5 million annually to operate and maintain. But it would also result in high ridership, a consultant said — about 1.4 million passengers a year.

The route would travel north-south using Broadway and St. Mary's and Navarro streets. Planners have also recommended extending the line further south on St. Mary's into Southtown, all the way to Alamo Street. The original plan had the route stopping at Cesar E. Chavez Boulevard.
    MYSA.com link

Via Jane Jenkins by email about the Twin Cities and their citizen's happiness near light rail-

Twin Cities' Residents Near Transit Found to Be Happier

Just thought I would post video of the Jacksonville Skyway during One Spark. Some trains were so packed no one could get on.

Thread Information