Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 88 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...58174965529001

Our Senator from Woodward who is in the know, realizes there is a sever water problem. I posted earlier in the forum that I can't speak to the severity of all of OKC having a water issue, but I can most certainly assure you that unless the Oklahoma City Water Utilities Trust lied to my face in a meeting about Canton being their only option for water once Hefner was down, the 200,000 plus patrons that rely on that water are in a water crisis. Of course it could rain a bunch in the next few weeks or months and I will look like Chicken Little screaming about the sky falling because the problem could correct itself with help from mother nature. All extended forecasts do not say that is likely however. I pray it does rain, but I fear it won't rain enough to fix this issue anytime soon. Again though, there may well be parts of the city that have plenty of water resources but the folks in NW OKC who count on Canton water have a problem.
    Last edited by MarkAFuqua; 01-24-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Posted wrong link, sorry.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Nobody has answered the question earlier in this thread, so I'll ask again.

Why is OKC water so cheap?

If you want people to change, you make them pay. It is the only way to truly get people to change the way they live.
    Rate increases are on the way! Especially for high end users.

OKC leases storage. If there is no water in their storage space there is no water.

If OKC has other sources, why would they choose to destroy Canton Lake and the economy around that resource, just because "All of that water is Okc property". Wouldn't it make sense to protect that resource because it has great value to many people, OKC included?

More about the Canton/OKC water crisis:

Oklahoma State Senate
    Communications Division
    State Capitol
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105

For Immediate Release: January 24, 2012

Sen. Marlatt urges OKC to adopt more aggressive water conservation; says planned draw down would kill Canton Lake for 5 to 10 years
    (For digital audio, go to Oklahoma Senate - Home Page and select “Media”)

OKLAHOMA CITY –Taking an additional 30,000 acre-feet of water from Canton Lake would only be a temporary fix for Oklahoma City’s water woes, but the immediate and long-term impact on western Oklahoma would be devastating, with repercussions for the entire state, said State Sen. Bryce Marlatt, R-Woodward. He urged Oklahoma City officials to be better stewards of the resource—and better neighbors to Western Oklahoma.
    The state’s largest city announced watering limits last week, but Marlatt said that move was really too little, too late. This week it was reported that the city’s water utilities department will present plans for more aggressive conservation measures, including higher prices and increased rationing, over the next few weeks. Marlatt said those should be enacted before taking water from western Oklahoma.
    “Everyone knows we are in a prolonged drought, and cutting back on outdoor watering in the dead of winter really isn’t a solution. Oklahoma City’s ultimate plan is a huge draw on Canton Lake, the main recreational lake in western Oklahoma, but this is essentially going to kill our lake,” Marlatt said. “Legally, they have the right to do it. But it doesn’t make it morally right. Oklahoma City needs to do everything it possibly can to avoid this draw down for as long as possible.”
    Canton Lake is not only important to fisherman who head there for the plentiful walleye, sand bass, catfish and more—it is also the walleye hatchery for the entire state. The plan to draw an additional 30,000 acre-feet of water would end that.
    “It is essentially going to kill the lake for five to 10 years. All the game fish that people come for will die out, and there will be no more walleye hatchery,” Marlatt said. “This is going to have a negative impact on lakes throughout Oklahoma.”
    Although Oklahoma City has the legal rights to the water in Canton Lake, it is still a critical part of western Oklahoma’s tourism and recreation, but like the hatchery, any recreational use of the lake will become a thing of the past once the water is gone.

“Once they draw the water, recreational boating will be nonexistent. The remaining water will not reach a single boat ramp. People who come to boat and fish will stop coming and it’s going to impact local economies—restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, and cabin rentals will see all those dollars go away,” Marlatt said. “That’s going to have a chain reaction in our local economy.”
    Rep. Mike Sanders, R-Kingfisher, said it is critical for Oklahoma City to view taking the water from Lake Canton as a last resort to be avoided as long as possible. He also urged the metro to look at more aggressive ways to limit water use.
    “The economic and environmental impact to Canton and western Oklahoma will be felt for years to come if this goes through,” Sanders said. “This is a dire situation, and the fact of the matter is, if they aren’t conserving water, then they are actually wasting water. We simply don’t have the water to waste.”
    Marlatt called the situation a disaster for western Oklahoma, and a potential disaster for Oklahoma City.
    “At best, this is only a temporary fix for Oklahoma City,” Marlatt said. “But once they take this water from Canton Lake, that’s it--the water will be gone and people in both parts of the state are going to pay the price for Oklahoma City not doing more to conserve this precious resource.”

Canton and the surrounding towns are not parties in the contract between the Corps of Engineers (federal government) and the OKCWT (city of OKC). They derive no share of the the funds, nor are they allowed a part of any of the negotiations.

The circumstances surrounding the contract have changed. The most obvious change is the drought. Currently, there is little if any inflow into Canton Lake. While inflow is nil, OKC continues to live as it did during wet times. OKC must be more responsible in its water usage or seek other means to support it's habit.

Current water studies by the USGS suggest Canton no longer has the ability to recharge as it did when the contract was signed.

OKC has expanded water use from Hefner to a much larger group of people and projects. When maps began, long after the storage contract, OKC "promised" they would use wells for the project, but that soon failed, and instead of seeking another direction, they looked once again to Canton Lake. Where will OKC get the water to irrigate the new 70 acre park? In many ways, water, like cash is fungible. In this drought, Canton Lake cannot continue to sustain OKC's luxury water use.

The last silt studies were done in 1977. Without new silt studies, there was/is no way to know how much water is in Canton Lake. The lake levels in the contract were set between two big governments. I doubt there was much consideration for the viability of the Lake.

I do not believe the residents of OKC "want" to kill Canton Lake. It doesn't matter whether they want to or not, the result is the same. I do believe very few understand or care to understand the situation, and your public officials are not telling you what will happen. Often, replies to pleas from western Oklahoma is "this water is OKCs water to do whatever they want to do with it."

One of Canton and the surrounding areas requests is wait to draw water as long as physically possible. Often there are beneficial spring rains between Canton and OKC that may alleviate the need to draw water from Canton for the year. Sometimes, OKC has drawn water, then received rains, and were forced to let that water go by. In this drought, you should think of Canton Lake not as a credit card to be used often, but like a savings account to be used sparingly and only in absolute emergencies. As long as the water is in Canton, it is available. If you draw, it will be gone, the Lake will die, and in this drought not recharge. As long as that situation continues, there will be no water for OKC. Your water storage space will be empty.

Isn't it better to be know the problem you face? Would you blame the messenger for telling you the truth?

The lake levels in the contract were set between two big governments. I doubt there was much consideration for the viability of the Lake.
    It was not, most of the Oklahoma lakes of any size got funding to be built as water supplies (with consideration for flood control), in no small part from prior droughts especially the dust bowl, any recreation or local economics were considered side benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It was not, most of the Oklahoma lakes of any size got funding to be built as water supplies (with consideration for flood control), in no small part from prior droughts especially the dust bowl, any recreation or local economics were considered side benefit.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I did not mean the original building of the lake contract, I meant the water storage contract in the '90's was between the feds and OKC. Enid actually had the earlier contract for water storage. They relinquished rights when they started using wells near Cleo Springs. The levels OKC can draw from, between 1615.4 ft and 1596.5 ft, is established in that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I did not mean the original building of the lake contract, I meant the water storage contract in the '90's was between the feds and OKC. Enid actually had the earlier contract for water storage. They relinquished rights when they started using wells near Cleo Springs. The levels OKC can draw from, between 1615.4 ft and 1596.5 ft, is established in that contract.

Hopefully it's pouring rain in Canton lake as it is in lake Hefner right now. This storm should help some,how much?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Hopefully it's pouring rain in Canton lake as it is in lake Hefner right now. This storm should help some,how much?
    It looks like the storm was far enough east it pretty much missed Canton's catchment area, a few inches may have been collected in Overholser or Hefner but as dry as the riverbed was I would not expect much.

I checked the rainfall totals in some of the North Canadian catchment areas out by Watonga and Greenfield, it was at least an inch up to 2 inches. Maybe this will help fill Hefner some.

Well, today is the day. Even though Hefner is 2/3rds full, OKCWT has given Canton Lake the death sentence. The Corps will open the only usable gate, and drain the Lake. It is unknown when the water will stop, but at that point, OKC is done. Until the drought breaks in the North Canadian watershed above Canton Lake, there will be NO more water from Canton.

OKCWT set our house on fire, and it's burning down, no way to stop it. But now, it's YOUR (the 200,000 who only get water from Hefner) house that is on fire, the burn will be slower, but burning it is, what is PLAN B? You should ask your councilmen why they have risked your water reserve, before the spring rains had a chance to fill Hefner.

So, happy days are here for you. When you drive by Hefner, and it looks nicer, say a prayer for those who will suffer, and the disaster that will happen, because OKC wanted it to be. So, get out there and water those gutters in the rain! It's yours to waste as you see fit. The sooner it's gone, the better.

Well, today is the day. Even though Hefner is 2/3rds full, OKCWT has given Canton Lake the death sentence. The Corps will open the only usable gate, and drain the Lake. It is unknown when the water will stop, but at that point, OKC is done. Until the drought breaks in the North Canadian watershed above Canton Lake, there will be NO more water from Canton.

OKCWT set our house on fire, and it's burning down, no way to stop it. But now, it's YOUR (the 200,000 who only get water from Hefner) house that is on fire, the burn will be slower, but burning it is, what is PLAN B? You should ask your councilmen why they have risked your water reserve, before the spring rains had a chance to fill Hefner.

So, happy days are here for you. When you drive by Hefner, and it looks nicer, say a prayer for those who will suffer, and the disaster that will happen, because OKC wanted it to be. So, get out there and water those gutters in the rain! It's yours to waste as you see fit. The sooner it's gone, the better.

Any chance you can get a photo of this occurrence?

How exactly is this water making it to Hefner? I am very curious.

Flows down the North Canadian River into Lake Overholser and then flows down a man-made canal to Lake Hefner.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Flows down the North Canadian River into Lake Overholser and then flows down a man-made canal to Lake Hefner.
    Okay I just followed the river out of Canton to Overholser over google maps..

This water has ALOT of dry area to fill.

They have started the release. We will be posting photos when they ramp up the release. The water flows down the North Canadian until it reaches Hefner.

This is your problem now. Without rain above Canton, there will be no water from Canton. NO WATER FROM CANTON.

They have started the release. We will be posting photos when they ramp up the release. The water flows down the North Canadian until it reaches Hefner.

This is your problem now. Without rain above Canton, there will be no water from Canton. NO WATER FROM CANTON.
    I think that's the larger issue. Unless we see some drought relief soon, we'll have major water issues this summer. While we should all be sad that Canton is losing a recreation/wildlife source, we should be more concerned that it's potentially the last draw we'll be able to have for a long time.

You can watch the data at the gages along the river too and see the release recorded at Canton as well as watch it rise along the points on the trip to OKC. I don't ever look at lake levels but I'm sure they are around on the internet too.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=...w=1280&bih=559

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I think that's the larger issue. Unless we see some drought relief soon, we'll have major water issues this summer. While we should all be sad that Canton is losing a recreation/wildlife source, we should be more concerned that it's potentially the last draw we'll be able to have for a long time.
    Until the drought breaks above Canton, could be 5 years? Could be 10 years? Could be NEVER. It's doomsday, better start prepping.

The Corps will open the only usable gate, and drain the Lake. It is unknown when the water will stop, but at that point, OKC is done.
    You said you were only telling the truth but this is not the truth. There is a specific amount of water being released.

Water from Canton Lake headed to OKC | KFOR.com ? Oklahoma City News & Weather from KFOR Television, Oklahoma's News Channel 4

Early Wednesday the Army Corps of Engineers began releasing 30,000 acre feet of water from Canton Lake, down the North Canadian River.

It will take about two weeks but eventually the water will end up in Lake Hefner.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You said you were only telling the truth but this is not the truth. There is a specific amount of water being released.

Water from Canton Lake headed to OKC | KFOR.com ? Oklahoma City News & Weather from KFOR Television, Oklahoma's News Channel 4
    The specific number is 30,000 acre/ft of water. That is the intended release. Canton is so low now, it is unknown when the water will stop flowing. Silt studies have not been done since 1977. The water could quit flowing thru the gate sooner than 30,000. It might stop at 25,000 or some other number. As I have said, we are in unknown territory.

Should we bring in pumps and pump out every last drop?

And again, the article says Canton Lake was built for OKC water, ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.

The specific number is 30,000 acre/ft of water. That is the intended release. Canton is so low now, it is unknown when the water will stop flowing. Silt studies have not been done since 1977. The water could quit flowing thru the gate sooner than 30,000. It might stop at 25,000 or some other number. As I have said, we are in unknown territory.

And again, the article says Canton Lake was built for OKC water, ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.
    I caught that bad reporting when I saw it at 6 and 10. Shame they can't get the basic facts of a story right.
    From the COE website:

HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT - Congress authorized the Canton Lake project in 1938 for flood control. The Flood Control Acts of 1946 and 1948 authorized irrigation and municipal water supply storage for the city of Enid, Okla. Because Enid did not access its storage rights, in 1955 Oklahoma City began a series of 5-year contracts with the federal government to utilize Canton’s water storage. Both the irrigation storage and the water storage were reassigned to Oklahoma City through Section 102 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1990. This project was started in 1940 but World War II temporarily halted construction. After the war, the Corps of Engineers resumed work, and the project was completed in late 1948 and formally dedicated in May of 1949. The cost to build the Canton Project was $11 million.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    The cost to build the Canton Project was $11 million.
    Adjusted for inflation would be around $101,365,395.18

I understand your concern but your obvious exaggerations don't help your position. The lake has a capacity of 111,000 acre feet. Is it 2/3 empty now?

Whether it was built for Oklahoma City's water supply really isn't the issue.

After the reading the thread I'm still not sure why people are upset with OKC. I have family in that area and they are not happy. Canton Lake was built for this very purpose right? I agree it sucks for those around the lake but this is what the lake was built for right?

Quote Originally Posted by OSUFan View Post
    After the reading the thread I'm still not sure why people are upset with OKC. I have family in that area and they are not happy. Canton Lake was built for this very purpose right? I agree it sucks for those around the lake but this is what the lake was built for right?
    this ..

OKC has water rights they used them in their best interest ... period we had a rain thus it is the best time for a release

Thread Information