Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Dallas

Default Re: Dear Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    ^
    Texas does not have butt loads of water, not even close. They took us to the freakin Supreme Court for christ sakes, they are that desperate.
    I don't think that means they're desperate, more as just trying to be cheap, like ou48a said, it is cheaper to buy our water.

^
    Texas does not have butt loads of water, not even close. They took us to the freakin Supreme Court for christ sakes, they are that desperate.
    Yes they do and as I said its in the wrong places of not good quality. They have used the cheap water.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If their money is going to debt payments and they can't afford to build more or maintain what they already built how do you figure the future looks bright? How much more empirical evidence do we need that the growth model doesn't work? Google 'Texas DOT debt' and you will find every tax group, every newspaper, and nearly every state official sounding the alarm. When you have democrats AND republicans in the state legislature saying they can't afford it anymore there is a real good chance they really can't afford it anymore.
    On thread after thread you keep repeating that Texas has major debt issue that will impact their ability to maintain their highways. The fact is you are wrong and I have shown this evidence to you.
    Texas is borrowing money at near history low interest rates. As I have showed you experts have indicated that Texas is the best debt in the USA.

IMHO you are advancing this false narrative to advance your fantasy on choo choo trains and such.

The real facts are that Texas has SP -AAA credit rating.... that's better than the US Federal Government.

As I have show just for facts before his idea that the state of Texas has a major bond debt problem is just not true.

Texas Energy Boom Fuels Best Performance Since ?09: Muni Credit - Bloomberg

“Texas is the best credit in the U.S.,”

^
    That lawsuit was more about money than water, they can take the same water they went to court over at the Texas boarder the water flows to, if they had won it would have been much cheaper to process and likely taste better.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Yes they do and as I said its in the wrong places of not good quality. They have used the cheap water.
    Sure they do.... A Texan tragedy: ample oil, no water | Environment | theguardian.com

This message is hidden because CaptDave is on your ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That lawsuit was more about money than water, they can take the same water they went to court over at the Texas boarder the water flows to, if they had won it would have been much cheaper to process and likely taste better.
    That's right, not all water is the same.....
    Anyone spending any time traveling in Texas knows that their water taste like crap in some parts of that state.

But Texas does have a state wide water plan that would ship plentiful sources of water to points generally to the dryer western part of the state.. They plan on building expensive water treatment plants to clean up water they have been unable to use. They plan on using some of the revenue from massive new oil deposits to help fund their states water projects....
    But I would bet that their water rates will be pretty high and higher than ours.
    That gives Oklahoma an advantage in attracting certain types of new industry if only we would develop our own untapped water resources.

This message is hidden because CaptDave is on your ignore list.
    Ohh, you showed him. Haha

Just like the roads, as an Austin American Statesman article from 5 or so years ago all the "cheap and easy" roads in Texas have been built, it is now time for the difficult and expensive roads. One reason why DFW and Houston has road construction all the time is because there is so little of that money spent elsewhere in the state, namely in Austin or San Antonio because the rest of the state feels enough money is spent there. Again, much of the road work there to affect traffic is the difficult and expensive variety, of course the "don't build it and they won't come mentality" that infects many Austinites has exacerbated the problem and had control of the city council for most of the tech boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Ohh, you showed him. Haha
    I'm still wiping the tears away....not sure I can go on. Sniff.

Dallas is opening up it's newest attraction this month. $62 million dollars for the new "Dallas Childrens Garden" attraction. Very interactive and hands on for children and over 150 exhibits all outdoor sitting on 9 acres! The evening news stating there is even tree house exhibits. Should be interesting and gives Big D another attraction for it's residents and out of towners. It is located within the Dallas Arboretum.

Is Dallas the happiest city in the country? I'm always happy when I'm there. I love the big D, not as much as OKC, but Dallas might be my second fav! It's just a list from Yahoo though, doesn't mean much; thought I'd post anyways.

''1. Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas (38% "very happy")

These happy Texans are most likely to say their spiritual beliefs are a positive guiding force to them (75%) and that they rarely worry about their health (59%), as well as being among the least likely to feel their voices are not heard in decisions that affect them (67%).

But even America's happiest city shows room for improvement. Dallas/Fort Worth residents are among the Americans least likely to agree that they have positive relationships with their family members (though it's worth noting that 83% do agree with this sentiment), and they are among the most likely to agree that they rarely engage in hobbies and pastimes they enjoy (34%)''

Yahoo!

Dallas/FW continues it's quest to conquer the world of sprawl traffic and being a business friendly city! I personally think it is time for Dallas to slow down. Maybe they are trying to prove something, lol.

Jones Lang LaSalle panel: Dallas-Fort Worth?s dramatic growth is continuing | Dallas Morning News

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Dallas/FW continues it's quest to conquer the world of sprawl traffic ...
    from the article:
    Southern Methodist University economist Bernard Weinstein said that last year the D-FW area population grew by 132,000 people.

“That’s like adding a Richardson in one year,” Weinstein said.

Much of the increase is due to migrants to North Texas.
    adding a "Durant" a year and migrants to OKLAHOMA, more likely.
    IIRC, the DFW population count now includes Durant therein.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Dallas/FW continues it's quest to conquer the world of sprawl traffic and being a business friendly city! I personally think it is time for Dallas to slow down. Maybe they are trying to prove something, lol.

Jones Lang LaSalle panel: Dallas-Fort Worth?s dramatic growth is continuing | Dallas Morning News
    Hate to say this, but DFW is small potatoes............ I just spent a week in Paris, 10 million population is what i was told. OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Hate to say this, but DFW is small potatoes............ I just spent a week in Paris, 10 million population is what i was told. OMG
    Dallas is doing something right. ...it's a boom'n again.

OKC needs to market itself as the "other" alternative. Ex. 2 hours not in traffic, means more quality family time. ...and without the stress.

Too funny, lol. Merci Beaucoup!

Yeah, if you compare London to Dallas, of course. But, that is not really fair. In general, Dallas is still a huge mega city.

Compare London to Tokyo, and see what you get. Then you can say London is also small potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah, if you compare London to Dallas, of course. But, that is not really fair. In general, Dallas is still a huge mega city.

Compare London to Tokyo, and see what you get. Then you can say London is also small potatoes.
    You're very defensive of Dallas. Lol

I was comparing Paris to Dallas. I bet I saw 40 cranes along the road from the Arc of Triumph to the airport, incredible. But I went to London too, and it didn't seem to be near as large as Paris.

Hey, we're a wide spot in the road compared to the afore mentioned places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    You're very defensive of Dallas. Lol
    I might be lil biased at times

I really do think that is unfair though to compare Dallas to Paris. Paris is a world class tier one city, Dallas is a tier 2 city. The only cities like that in America, are NYC and Los Angeles, imo. Paris, London, Hong Kong, Tehran, Tokyo, Mumbai, Rio De Janeiro, are a few examples of what I consider tier 1 cities.

Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Dallas(if you include the metro area), would be part of tier 2 cities. It is not really fair to compare Dallas to Paris, at least in my book.

I was comparing Paris to Dallas. I bet I saw 40 cranes along the road from the Arc of Triumph to the airport, incredible. But I went to London too, and it didn't seem to be near as large as Paris.

Hey, we're a wide spot in the road compared to the afore mentioned places.
    Oh, my bad, I'm not sure how I got London lol. . . I agree with you that Dallas has nothing on Paris. I just don't think it is fair to say Dallas is small potatoes though. It's the same thing when comparing OKC to Dallas, it just isn't fair. I think OKC is a better city than Dallas, but Dallas is a freakin beast compared to OKC. Dallas is tiny compared to Paris.

I really do think that is unfair though to compare Dallas to Paris. Paris is a world class tier one city, Dallas is a tier 2 city. The only cities like that in America, are NYC and Los Angeles, imo. Paris, London, Hong Kong, Tehran, Tokyo, Mumbai, Rio De Janeiro, are a few examples of what I consider tier 1 cities.

Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Dallas(if you include the metro area), would be part of tier 2 cities. It is not really fair to compare Dallas to Paris, at least in my book.
    It's all good. I'm the same way with Atlanta. I love Atlanta, it's an amazing city in my eyes. The only city that I like as much or better than Atlanta is Oklahoma City. OKC is home.

Chicago is a Tier I city.

Thread Information