Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Science Museum Oklahoma

Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Is that no extra charge thing a permanent thing? That had been my gripe all along was that there was an impression they were going to start charging like other museums do (which always pisses me off). I would be very happy if they continued to not charge extra for it!!!!
    That I am not sure. I know that's what they advertise on their website.

I wouldn't think they would charge. If they did, they would need/should lower the admission price because that would be taking an experience away. That said, I'm sure it will baked into future admission price increases.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I wouldn't think they would charge. If they did, they would need/should lower the admission price because that would be taking an experience away. That said, I'm sure it will baked into future admission price increases.
    The other thing is they are running shows every hour from 10-4, Monday through Friday.

https://www.sciencemuseumok.org/planetarium

I would think it would have to be free to fill those seats for that many shows. The only thing they might charge for is if they have special showings and viewings.

4. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

would be great if SMO could show movies in the evenings, like OMSI does.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

5. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Well the reason I ask is because it IS an extra fee at pretty much every other museum I go too and the price is always stupid high for thing. I never pay for it because it just pisses me off. Houston is my most recent one that i said "no" to. I'm extremely happy to see that OKC didn't do the same thing. It does beg the question of if the sponsorship will be enough to keep it operating or if it will end up getting worn down from lack of funding though.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well the reason I ask is because it IS an extra fee at pretty much every other museum I go too and the price is always stupid high for thing. I never pay for it because it just pisses me off. Houston is my most recent one that i said "no" to. I'm extremely happy to see that OKC didn't do the same thing. It does beg the question of if the sponsorship will be enough to keep it operating or if it will end up getting worn down from lack of funding though.
    Isn't just a bigger version of what they had before in a nicer building? The old planetarium recently had a big tech upgrade and I think they just moved a lot of that tech over. I'm cautiously optimistic that they will prioritize it for maintenance funding.

7. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Isn't just a bigger version of what they had before in a nicer building? The old planetarium recently had a big tech upgrade and I think they just moved a lot of that tech over. I'm cautiously optimistic that they will prioritize it for maintenance funding.
    I have not been in yet, but i do not think that this is accurate. The "new" gear is several years old already. Granted, decades newer than what was in there before with the mechanical monster. It was a big improvement over what was there before for sure. But it also wasn't exactly awe inspiring. It was basically a couple of projectors used to display canned "spacey" scenes through the proper lens to make it curve on the dome. From my understanding of the new space, it's supposed to be a lot more "experience" with a proper sound system with a proper "show". The team running the old show did a good job with what they had. Often those teenagers made it more interesting than some of the older staff too, so I am in no way trying to take things away from them. But i do not think it's accurate to say that they are just moving the projectors from one room to the other.

9. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Now that's cool! Nice job, Pete!

10. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Back to red huh, cool. I always liked it more when it stood out like that.

Faded blue was appropriate for its abandon state it was in. Great to see the red back!

Faded blue was appropriate for its abandon state it was in. Great to see the red back!
    I guess red for "Loves?"

The previous shade of blue (not faded) made more sense from a graphic design standpoint since their logo is black and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I guess red for "Loves?"

The previous shade of blue (not faded) made more sense from a graphic design standpoint since their logo is black and blue.
    Or red to pay homage to the buildings history.

14. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

That's what i was thinking. It's open again, so lets make it stand out again instead of painting it to blend in and acting like those millions spent on the imax stuff weren't wasted.....

What history?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    What history?
    The original Omnidome was painted red when it opened in 2000. They painted it blue during the rebranding. To me, having your marquee attraction standout makes Science look 'more fun' to kids.
    https://www.sciencemuseumok.org/history

The original Omnidome was painted red when it opened in 2000. They painted it blue during the rebranding.
    https://www.sciencemuseumok.org/history
    Thanks, did not know that, was gone from 1995 - 2009. Volunteered there when it first opened back in the 1970s and didn't remember anything from then until we left OKC that would have made sense about red being a part of their history.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thanks, did not know that, was gone from 1995 - 2009. Volunteered there when it first opened back in the 1970s and didn't remember anything from then until we left OKC that would have made sense about red being a part of their history.
    Sorry, I guess I should have specified that particular dome structures history, not the building as a whole.

I really wish they would have built a new world class science complex downtown and turned this current facility into one of the best Aviation Musuems in the world.

Thread Information