Widgets Magazine
Page 78 of 217 FirstFirst ... 287374757677787980818283128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Don't knock him too bad. Although most would agree the current Cox is completely inadequate, how plausible would it be to construct a new CC on the current Cox site? Especially now that the Barons are gone, what's the likelihood that the arena can be turned into temp meeting space while the new center is built in phases?

It seems the main issue with the CC is they have an unrealistic budget for land acquisition. The easiest solution to this is building on land already owned by the city.

The current CCC is prime real estate. In fact, I would value it as the most valuable real estate downtown right now (not on the market). Not to mention the positive urban effects this would have on the area linking the CBD/Bricktown/Park/South of Reno. Once we get a new CC, this can be bulldozed and sold in multiple plots for insane amounts of money for the city. The problem with the current (now old) CC site west of the Arena, is that through MAPS the money has to be available now.

Welcome to the world of costly real estate. In the end, I hope the city does not compromise the success of the convention center by choosing a sub-par site just to save money. I cannot believe OKC's land value is greater than in all the other U.S. cities that have convention centers. If it costs more than the original estimate, they need to refresh the numbers and be realistic. There is no reason OKC cannot have a cc when every other city can make it happen.

As to a waste of money. That is the way these things go. I know San Diego has spend $$$$ of dollars in the last decade on the stadium site, and we just learned this week that if the downtown site is chosen, it could take 7 years for them to get the rights to the property and clear it for construction. After millions of dollars in studies and proposals, that site is not even feasible in the timeline dictated by the Chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why don't they just put the new convention center on the Cox site? It's the perfect location in the middle of everything.
    That's what I was thinking. Seems like an ideal spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why don't they just put the new convention center on the Cox site? It's the perfect location in the middle of everything.
    Looks like that will have to happen or at least be considered as a location. The Cox Center is the same size of block as what was proposed, not including the future expansion. A center and hotel can be done, parking will have to be underground(this will make some people happy).

Agree that the Cox Center site seems the closest to all the hotels for walkability needed. Assuming the logistics for keeping any conventions going while tearing down the current cc and building anew may make the idea unpalatable in the short term, it may not be as high on the list of new desired locations. Seems to me to be the best option in the long term though.

I agree. The Cox site would be excellent. Question is, does the city want to lose convention business while the new CC is being built? Is a short term sacrifice worth it for an ideal long-term solution?

Realistically, how fast could they build the new CC?

Brick town north or park east for the win.

As a reminder, here is how the consultants rated the various sites. Those without a number were eliminated early on; the top 3 were given more scrutiny as finalists:

I think the Cox Center is a terrible choice for three reasons. Putting another super SUPER block in place of the super block that already exists seems like a bad idea. Also, if it is built elsewhere, lots of money goes into two locations (the new CC and private development over the old CC). And I want that super block broken up.

I have not posted a thought on here in quite some time, but feel like it now. I believe it would be very interesting if the city provided the county assessor a copy of the document that the owners came up with that claimed the property was worth 100 million dollars. Let the assessor tell the owners that their figures will be used to value the property in the future for tax purposes. Same thing with the cotton processing property. Paying increased taxes on an empty non revenue producing property will probably not be pleasant for them. I also wonder if Mr. Hall was counting on reaping a bonanza from selling this property, thus the investment in the hotel in the old Ford Building. It will be interesting to see if that gets slowed down or even cancelled.

One other thought and question. How can you evaluate a site for anything without having a locked in price for the site if it is selected?

I feel like this puts a huge freeze on c2s. Hopefully somebody else can develop that property.

Looking at that map above, I think the uhaul parking lot would be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    I also wonder if Mr. Hall was counting on reaping a bonanza from selling this property, thus the investment in the hotel in the old Ford Building. It will be interesting to see if that gets slowed down or even cancelled.
    Hopefully that isn't the case. The 21c hotel and associated redevelopment is one of the most exciting things in the pipeline. If it doesn't happen, that will also be a huge setback for Film Row and all of the west side of downtown.

HangryHippo Guest

Can we bulldoze most of lower bricktown and put it there?

On a serious note, do the property owners of the recently thrown out site bring back their plans for development? Because that would be awesome.

Blog Entries

And what exactly was the development PLAN that was to go on that site?

Blog Entries

Isn't the Core to Shore east the site the mayor originally proposed anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    On a serious note, do the property owners of the recently thrown out site bring back their plans for development? Because that would be awesome.
    As of this afternoon, the legal action by the City is completely dismissed, so they are free to do anything they wish.

They could make a strong argument that the City kept the property tied up during a huge boom period and now there is a bit of a slump (which may turn out to be more than small) and they were deprived of developing or selling during a red-hot window of opportunity.

I have not posted a thought on here in quite some time, but feel like it now. I believe it would be very interesting if the city provided the county assessor a copy of the document that the owners came up with that claimed the property was worth 100 million dollars. Let the assessor tell the owners that their figures will be used to value the property in the future for tax purposes. Same thing with the cotton processing property. Paying increased taxes on an empty non revenue producing property will probably not be pleasant for them. I also wonder if Mr. Hall was counting on reaping a bonanza from selling this property, thus the investment in the hotel in the old Ford Building. It will be interesting to see if that gets slowed down or even cancelled.

One other thought and question. How can you evaluate a site for anything without having a locked in price for the site if it is selected?
    Property tax increases are capped year to year by state law

Wow, took them 5 years to realize this is not a cost effective location. We were arguing that from the beginning all along, what a waste of time. Looks like Mayor Cornett will get his wish, and have it in C2S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I've got my fingers crossed for #5 North Bricktown. I'm not a fan of that parking lot, and see this as a good way to bridge CBD/Bricktown/DD.
    The North Bricktown (#5) site would be terrible because it would make it much more difficult to get the Eastern Flyer up to the platform at Santa Fe Station. To make that happen, a new wye track that goes from the existing rail corridor separating Bricktown and Deep Deuce up to the top of the rail viaduct would have to be built, and having the convention center in that block would make this impossible. Not only that, but many of the buildings in that parcel are being renovated or have already been renovated.

Choosing a new site for the convention center this late in the game is a HUGE problem, and I have my doubts that they'll be able to build it in the downtown area now with the land budget they have.

Not just a waste of time, lots of money and also the energy of tons of City staff and committee members.

nm
    Last edited by baralheia; 03-03-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Double post. Sorry!

I am curious what this means for the streetcar, maybe some of our posters that work closely with it can tell us, what if anything can does this change. Is it to late in the process to rethink the routes( not that I want that just curious) or could it be a plus and speed up the timeline?

Very good questions. I've wondered what the property is valued at for tax proposes also. Seems like an easy way to find out what the current owners truly think it's actual worth is. I doubt seriously they're petitioning to have it valued at $100 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Man, between this post and the ones in the streetcar thread. I feel like you just enjoy going against the grain around here.
    Maybe in your mind I'm going against the majority of those on this board, but in the real world I can probably bring an army who agree with that thinking.

Now what you are missing is I'm not necessarily arguing that my comment here was right or wrong, but it is another side to the story. Sometimes when the big shiny new building doesn't happen it's nice to step back and re-evaluate, to see if it still is the best option.

It will be interesting to see the domino effect this creates. I am sure the developers of nearby garages were expecting convention revenue in their plans.

Thread Information