Widgets Magazine
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25707172737475
Results 1,851 to 1,874 of 1874

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It doesn't upset me, I just don't understand the logic or lack thereof for stifling discussion on a discussion forum. I've been noticing this for a while in here, it's just now that I've said anything about it.

For instance, I've seen on the OU basketball arena thread where some people prefer for it to be on campus or they don't like the proposal to put it at UNP or in Moore. The replies to these people is often along the lines of "Why don't you pony up $100 million and you can put it where you want" or "That will never happen so stop bringing it up." It's a discussion forum. You don't need to be the money man or the power player to have a preference. Just because someone has an opinion or preference doesn't necessarily mean they think it can or will happen how they want it. It's just discussion for the sake of having a conversation.

It really seems that if someone's opinions or preferences don't align with yours (generally speaking; not yours specifically) then that person need not post anymore. You guys know what you're doing when you post a response that doesn't cultivate discussion. That's kind of at cross purpose of a discussion forum. Which I'm sure Pete will appreciate and enjoy discussion being shut down on his discussion forums.
    The challenge, at least in this specific discussion re: Costco, I believe is that when you presented your opinion regarding moving product around to entice further spending it presented it as being the opinion of "the customer" in general rather than just your opinion. This changes the tone of discussion from just discussing our own thoughts and feelings to stating a presumed fact about a larger topic. In that case, Bouldersooner responded with facts in order to dispute your claim that "the customer" is being "pissed off". The onus is then on your to provide competing evidence that "the customer" (not just you) is indeed "pissed off".

Conversation is only stifled because I think we can agree you aren't really talking about "the customer", you're sharing your opinions and you don't need to provide facts to back that up and indeed there can be discussion on how we each individually feel on this market practice. But we've got to be careful to present in that way ("it pisses me, a customer, off") rather than overextending it to things it may or may not be accurate for.

For instance, I've seen on the OU basketball arena thread where some people prefer for it to be on campus or they don't like the proposal to put it at UNP or in Moore. The replies to these people is often along the lines of "Why don't you pony up $100 million and you can put it where you want" or "That will never happen so stop bringing it up." It's a discussion forum. You don't need to be the money man or the power player to have a preference. Just because someone has an opinion or preference doesn't necessarily mean they think it can or will happen how they want it. It's just discussion for the sake of having a conversation.
    no one has stopped them on that forum from having their opinion. but it's when they bring it up for the 5th or 6th time without adding anything real to the discussion, then at that point we understand that you don't like the proposal, we got it. but we are trying to have a real discussion about the proposal in front of us and what not supporting it means in reality. it's great to have your opinions and to express them, but if they are not based on any facts of the current situation, then they aren't really helpful in the current discussion. they are just opinions and wishes, feel free to share them, and then lets get back to the actual discussion at hand. no one is shutting anyone down or saying you can't have your opinions. they just aren't really relevant when it isn't a real possibly scenario that exists.

now... back to Costco

I go to the Moore store once a month, different times and days. I've never seen it busy except Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    I go to the Moore store once a month, different times and days. I've never seen it busy except Thanksgiving.
    the only times i have seen moore busy is sundays right after church lets out and around thanksgiving.

My last visit to the Costco on Memorial was a Tuesday afternoon when school was still in, and it was very busy, as in 4-5 carts in every line.

I was surprised how many people were in there.

I still really like Costco but more often than not, it's not worth it to me to go in there and *hope* they have what I am looking for and that I can even find it. Last time I went they didn't have 3 of the things I wanted and for the first time I considered not renewing my card (I've had it for over 20 years).

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    per this thread and first hand conversations ... the moore store lags far behind the western store in sales ..
    Exactly.

I grew up in Moore, then to Edmond for 10 years, now back in Moore. I had a Costco membership for a year, but I viewed a Sam's club membership as better for my family and budget. If I was single, I would probably pick Costco for the slightly nicer things.

7. Default Re: Costco

Costco raising membership prices to $65 for Gold and $130 for Executive starting in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My last visit to the Costco on Memorial was a Tuesday afternoon when school was still in, and it was very busy, as in 4-5 carts in every line.

I was surprised how many people were in there.

I still really like Costco but more often than not, it's not worth it to me to go in there and *hope* they have what I am looking for and that I can even find it. Last time I went they didn't have 3 of the things I wanted and for the first time I considered not renewing my card (I've had it for over 20 years).
    The Costco in Moore seems to me less crowded with less frantic shoppers. A more relaxed shopping experience. A plus is swinging by QT on the way there. A negative is dealing with the traffic on 19th St. in Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    The challenge, at least in this specific discussion re: Costco, I believe is that when you presented your opinion regarding moving product around to entice further spending it presented it as being the opinion of "the customer" in general rather than just your opinion. This changes the tone of discussion from just discussing our own thoughts and feelings to stating a presumed fact about a larger topic. In that case, Bouldersooner responded with facts in order to dispute your claim that "the customer" is being "pissed off". The onus is then on your to provide competing evidence that "the customer" (not just you) is indeed "pissed off".

Conversation is only stifled because I think we can agree you aren't really talking about "the customer", you're sharing your opinions and you don't need to provide facts to back that up and indeed there can be discussion on how we each individually feel on this market practice. But we've got to be careful to present in that way ("it pisses me, a customer, off") rather than overextending it to things it may or may not be accurate for.
    I must have missed this data that proved it's a fact that this doesn't piss customers off. I've seen/read/heard, in different places, many people say that they hate that practice. I'm not saying that it's 100% of customers who feel this way. But I would guess that the customers who love not being able to find what they're shopping for because it's a fun little Easter egg hunt is few and far between. And I'm sure the stores will say their numbers show this practice works. And maybe it does. But that doesn't mean that customers still aren't pissed off by it.

I'm sure Walmart's research shows that they're super popular and that they don't need to change a thing. But I've never met a person who likes shopping at Walmart. But I have heard people say, for the last 25 years or so, "I HATE going to Walmart but I have to."

The next thing your going to say is that these are anecdotal stories. Yep. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though. People are pissed off by these things. I know that for a fact because I've talked to some of these people. But I didn't say anything that would mean I need data and research to back up any such claims. You're trying to get me to defend a position I never stated.

If someone on here says Ted's is the best Mexican food on the planet, I'm going to use context clues and common sense to conclude that it's their opinion and/or they're speaking in hyperbole. I won't feel the need to ask for data to back up that claim just because I don't agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    no one has stopped them on that forum from having their opinion. but it's when they bring it up for the 5th or 6th time without adding anything real to the discussion, then at that point we understand that you don't like the proposal, we got it. but we are trying to have a real discussion about the proposal in front of us and what not supporting it means in reality. it's great to have your opinions and to express them, but if they are not based on any facts of the current situation, then they aren't really helpful in the current discussion. they are just opinions and wishes, feel free to share them, and then lets get back to the actual discussion at hand. no one is shutting anyone down or saying you can't have your opinions. they just aren't really relevant when it isn't a real possibly scenario that exists.

now... back to Costco
    Ah

So if people don't post how you want them to post then it's no good. Got it.

You guys are a sensitive bunch around here.

I must have missed this data that proved it's a fact that this doesn't piss customers off. I've seen/read/heard, in different places, many people say that they hate that practice. I'm not saying that it's 100% of customers who feel this way. But I would guess that the customers who love not being able to find what they're shopping for because it's a fun little Easter egg hunt is few and far between. And I'm sure the stores will say their numbers show this practice works. And maybe it does. But that doesn't mean that customers still aren't pissed off by it.

I'm sure Walmart's research shows that they're super popular and that they don't need to change a thing. But I've never met a person who likes shopping at Walmart. But I have heard people say, for the last 25 years or so, "I HATE going to Walmart but I have to."

The next thing your going to say is that these are anecdotal stories. Yep. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though. People are pissed off by these things. I know that for a fact because I've talked to some of these people. But I didn't say anything that would mean I need data and research to back up any such claims. You're trying to get me to defend a position I never stated.

If someone on here says Ted's is the best Mexican food on the planet, I'm going to use context clues and common sense to conclude that it's their opinion and/or they're speaking in hyperbole. I won't feel the need to ask for data to back up that claim just because I don't agree with them.
    I'm not jumping into an argument on how accurate BoulderSooner's numbers were or how customers feel overall. I don't really care either way. I was just trying to provide an explanation for why people responded the way they did and why that wasn't necessarily "stifling conversation". Take or leave it.

Ah

So if people don't post how you want them to post then it's no good. Got it.

You guys are a sensitive bunch around here.
    no... once again... its when people post and aren't actually able to provide substance to the conversation. much like your response here. it's fine to have an opinion and express it. but have facts that back up it being able to even be considered a possibility. otherwise you are just saying your dreams and then complaining that they aren't happening.

but again, back to costco.

I have noticed that the Edmond costco is atleast having more checker lines open each day now that they are getting busier. with the change to where you can't use a scanner for your items in the self checkout, i actually find the traditional checker lines to be much faster unless i just have 1 or 2 items.

no... once again... its when people post and aren't actually able to provide substance to the conversation. much like your response here. it's fine to have an opinion and express it. but have facts that back up it being able to even be considered a possibility. otherwise you are just saying your dreams and then complaining that they aren't happening.

I have noticed that the Edmond costco is atleast having more checker lines open each day now that they are getting busier. with the change to where you can't use a scanner for your items in the self checkout, i actually find the traditional checker lines to be much faster unless i just have 1 or 2 items.
    when did edmond get a costco??

i kid i kid ..

I have noticed this as well and the checker lines usually run very fast ..

Costco, to its credit, employs more people in their stores than does Sam's.

And they are better to their employees as it shows in their temperament and customer service approach.

This, along with higher quality products, are the main reasons Costco has such a loyal following.

OTOH, I went to Sam's this morning... Checked in advance to see if they had the 4 things I planned to purchase, quickly walked to the exact places I knew them to be located, used Scan & Go to completely avoid checkout (although there were empty, manned lanes and about 10 open self-checkout), and then walked out without even having to show my receipt. (BTW, I can order as much delivered as I want -- next day -- for $8. It's really nice if you need a bunch of bulky items because they just drop everything on your porch.)

Also, the ingress and egress at Costco is a PITA, especially trying to get out of there needing to head east.

I can't believe that I'd ever prefer Sam's, but here we are.

And they are better to their employees as it shows in their temperament and customer service approach.

This, along with higher quality products, are the main reasons Costco has such a loyal following.

OTOH, I went to Sam's this morning... Checked in advance to see if they had the 4 things I planned to purchase, quickly walked to the exact places I knew them to be located, used Scan & Go to completely avoid checkout (although there were empty, manned lanes and about 10 open self-checkout), and then walked out without even having to show my receipt. (BTW, I can order as much delivered as I want -- next day -- for $8. It's really nice if you need a bunch of bulky items because they just drop everything on your porch.)

Also, the ingress and egress at Costco is a PITA, especially trying to get out of there needing to head east.

i really do get frustrated by Costco's lack of quality tech. heck the other day i was trying to scan a QR code for one of their Costco Direct items they had in store, and it took me to a webpage that just said access denied... not a good look

16. Default Re: Costco

My son applied at my local COSTCO and was told many of their employees at the store have been there 10+ years.

17. Default Re: Costco

Went this weekend and the self checkout thing just seems silly at this point. They have taken the guns away so the lady that was "helping" came over and scanned a few big items in our cart (While holding 2 scan guns) and then we used the built-in barcode reader to scan the rest, being forced to put them on the scale side. So instead of being able to just scan everything in my cart, i had to unload it, run it through one item at a time, and reload it. Was it the biggest pain in my butt that day? no. But it did make the whole thing take twice as long. I was also a bit annoyed that I couldn't get just a larger roll of sausage at Costco (you can get a good price on a large Jimmy Dean at Sams). Neither had muffin mix, which meant one more Crest trip for the weekend. First world problem, I know. Just not convenient.

It's sort of like the Okie car washes. They have kiosks for you to do everything at. But now that also put a person there. I really liked NOT having to talk to someone trying to up-sell me every time i went. Not i have to talk to them every dang time, making it take longer, and be just a little more annoying.

It's little things like that. Do they really make the whole world a more difficult place? Absolutely no. But are they annoying? Yup.

If Costco could get on board with their 10, that's 20 years behind the times, they could make all of this so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Went this weekend and the self checkout thing just seems silly at this point. They have taken the guns away so the lady that was "helping" came over and scanned a few big items in our cart (While holding 2 scan guns) and then we used the built-in barcode reader to scan the rest, being forced to put them on the scale side. So instead of being able to just scan everything in my cart, i had to unload it, run it through one item at a time, and reload it. Was it the biggest pain in my butt that day? no. But it did make the whole thing take twice as long. I was also a bit annoyed that I couldn't get just a larger roll of sausage at Costco (you can get a good price on a large Jimmy Dean at Sams). Neither had muffin mix, which meant one more Crest trip for the weekend. First world problem, I know. Just not convenient.

It's sort of like the Okie car washes. They have kiosks for you to do everything at. But now that also put a person there. I really liked NOT having to talk to someone trying to up-sell me every time i went. Not i have to talk to them every dang time, making it take longer, and be just a little more annoying.

It's little things like that. Do they really make the whole world a more difficult place? Absolutely no. But are they annoying? Yup.

If Costco could get on board with their 10, that's 20 years behind the times, they could make all of this so much better.
    I hope Costco gets enough complaints that they consider making some changes. Their checkout process, both the ridiculously small number of cashiers and taking away the hand scanners from self-checkout, make me dread going there. Right after they took away the hand scanners, which made our check-out process very easy and stress free, an employee helped us with the built-in scanners and had some issues that he had to use his ID card to resolve and then when we got to the receipt checker (a ridiculous inconvenience), we discovered he had caused something to not get scanned and my wife had to go back in and pay. If stores don't trust people to checkout their own groceries, don't have self-checkout lanes and provide enough cashiers to actually do the job.

I'm starting to feel like the old man yelling at clouds. Everywhere I look in our society, things seem to be deteriorating at an increasing pace. Low quality goods, inconveniences, poor service, higher prices...it never seems to end.

(BTW, I can order as much delivered as I want -- next day -- for $8. It's really nice if you need a bunch of bulky items because they just drop everything on your porch.)
    I tried to order couple months of water and soda for the office the last week of the year (prepay expenses to take on last year's taxes). They do have some limits based on item count and weight of the order on delivery. Granted. it was a huge order and most home consumers wouldn't have a problem. I had to break it down to four separate orders. IIRC, based on weight was 6-7 cases of soda.

^

It's because American consumers want the cheapest goods possible which means these retailers have to keep cutting staff and services to remain competitive.

This is where Walmart has always killed it and they've reshaped the marketplace, for better or worse.

21. Default Re: Costco

^

It's because American consumers want the cheapest goods possible which means these retailers have to keep cutting staff and services to remain competitive.

This is where Walmart has always killed it and they've reshaped the marketplace, for better or worse.
    Not to mention Wal-Mart and others have reshaped the manufacturing ecosystem thanks to the same consumerist culture that wants as much stuff as possible as cheaply as possible, regardless of the source.

So people needs facts and figures and stats and charts to be able to state an opinion? I'm not sure you understand how discussion boards work.

Again, I've talked to plenty of people that hate this practice in stores. Sorry that I didn't get their credentials and home address at the time so I could provide it to you, the arbiter of discussion board protocol.

So people needs facts and figures and stats and charts to be able to state an opinion? I'm not sure you understand how discussion boards work.

Again, I've talked to plenty of people that hate this practice in stores. Sorry that I didn't get their credentials and home address at the time so I could provide it to you, the arbiter of discussion board protocol.
    way to blow everything yet again completely out of proportion and still not provide anything to the actual conversation. you keep proving my point.

that's enough, you two... let's stick to topic.

Thread Information