Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Construction Cam

1. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

AAAAAnyway....what are the trucks that look like drill heads all over the place? Are they drilling out old columns it he dirt or what? There seem to be more of them every day and they're spaced out in column order. I didn't think that garage really had any. It seems premature to be doing and column work for the new tower at this point.

2. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Nevermind...I just saw an image on the other thread that answered that one.

Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

must ... resist ... urge ... to tag ... white van's roof ... with HI OKCTALK

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

Yeah I've thought that there is potential for advertising down there while this cam exists

That's funny!!

6. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Hilarious, but a little difficult to pull off, with the van being parked under that light, which is why it was so noticeable to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Hilarious, but a little difficult to pull off, with the van being parked under that light, which is why it was so noticeable to begin with.
    Hmm why? I don't ever see anyone touching the van, so it is rarely used. I know for a fact that those garages have no cameras in them....it wouldn't be hard to pull off at all - just make sure you aren't recognizable from this distance.

8. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Good job, Man. I appreciate this everchanging oversight on this project. I especially like seeing the area at night...

It's 9:30 a.m., Sunday morning, and it is still dark in downtown OKC. At my house on SW 137th, it is bright and sunny. OKC is much bigger than I realized.

The webcam is stuck at 2329 (11:29pm for those who can't read 24hr time).

MadMonk Guest

The camera is up, but the fog is a bit thick this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    The camera is up, but the fog is a bit thick this morning.
    Well I can tell you there is a new crane in between the East and West Garage. They were also lifting something with the original crane - looked like a large concrete slab. Didn't see what they did with it though.

Looks like the garage addition should start soon. If there isn't much going on at the main site for awhile I wonder if the camera could be turned to watch the garage construction?

Quote Originally Posted by okcmomentum View Post
    Looks like the garage addition should start soon. If there isn't much going on at the main site for awhile I wonder if the camera could be turned to watch the garage construction?
    The last date I heard for the garage was December 1st, but it may have changed - someone who is still in there may know when they are getting booted.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    The last date I heard for the garage was December 1st, but it may have changed - someone who is still in there may know when they are getting booted.
    Monday, November 30th is our last day to park there.

They just put some porta potties on top of the garage, they must be getting serious...

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    They just put some porta potties on top of the garage, they must be getting serious...
    Or the guy in the white van won't leave the roof!

wasn't expecting them to be working today, but they are there, pluggin' along.

it looks like crews are putting up the new support columns for the garage today

I was doubtful when they said they would start to reopen it in February of 2010 but they aren't messin' around! There's a flat bed semi between the two garages with two wall panels also. Things are really getting moving on the garage considering today is the first day they kicked everyone out.

I love seeing how quickly the precast goes up! I wonder if our view of the site will fairly quickly be obscured by the garage?

22. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

That's an excellent point. The construction of the western half of the site, which includes the conference center and park if I'm not mistaken, will be pretty obscured from the webcam's location once the garage is built up.

Which begs another uncomfortable question that I have meant to ask since the very beginning: has anyone considered the fact that the current camera angle is only going to cover the first 15 floors or so of the tower, and has there been any effort made to get a camera installed where it can capture the entire construction from ground level to the top of the building in one continuous shot? We're fast approaching a time when steel will start coming out of the ground for the tower itself, and at that point it will be too late to document the entire construction of the tower from one vantage point.

I know that the idea behind this particular camera is to give US -- that is, OKCTalk members -- a day-to-day peek into the construction as it unfolds. But personally I think something that might be more IMPORTANT would be to capture the entire construction of the tower -- from flat lot to iconic building -- for the benefit of posterity. MadMonk's great YouTubes created from assembled OKCTalk webcam images illustrate already how powerful the time-lapse video of the construction can be. After completion, will we have a time-lapse of the construction of this building, or will that experience be lost for posterity?

I have pretty carefully considered locations for capturing 100% of the building in the frame during construction, and I'm pretty convinced that the best location would be from Stage Center. Is there any chance? Steve? Anybody?

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Which begs another uncomfortable question that I have meant to ask since the very beginning: has anyone considered the fact that the current camera angle is only going to cover the first 15 floors or so of the tower, and has there been any effort made to get a camera installed where it can capture the entire construction from ground level to the top of the building in one continuous shot?
    Good point. Although we can capture the beginnings of the construction and can elevate the camera as needed (within certain limits), eventually, even the tallest of our current buildings will be inadequate. Even from Stage Center, there will come a time when a camera will be no better than standing at street level and looking up. It will simply be impossible to capture it all from a single vantage point. Perhaps in later stages we can obtain a location with a little more distance from the site that can focus on the upper-level construction activities. Perhaps someone in the Chase building would be able to assist at that point?

I'm sure we'll move the camera around and/or have more than one at some point.

There are already two partial new floors on the parking garage!

Wow, they aren't messing around here... Think about all that's been done in less than two months.

Thread Information