Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Street

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    I just sent an email to my councilmember, Greg Heipel, and he agrees with me "100%" on using the Dan Burden design....so there's at least 2 councilmembers that I know of that are in favor. I am sure a couple others are as well.
    Kovach is probably going to be the big one to convince. He has to be careful. He is up for elimination in the next round of elections. The work is taking place in Kovach's ward as well, since his ends right at Berry. Holman I think would have a vested interest in this because it will impact his ward directly (his starts at Berry and goes through campus). He is also on the transportation committee.

Default Re: Lindsey Street

And engineers and the automobile win again. This state can be so backwards all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    And engineers and the automobile win again. This state can be so backwards all the time.
    The automobile is a newer concept than walking and biking lol. . . I understand what you mean by that, but I don't think this is a total loss

4. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The automobile is a newer concept than walking and biking lol. . . I understand what you mean by that, but I don't think this is a total loss
    It is a compromise but the problem is, and I personally feel, with the center median without roundabouts will mean traffic issues with people trying to make a u-turn or block the left lane with no turn lanes. The minute we add turn lanes we then get into the realm of making the raised median pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It is a compromise but the problem is, and I personally feel, with the center median without roundabouts will mean traffic issues with people trying to make a u-turn or block the left lane with no turn lanes. The minute we add turn lanes we then get into the realm of making the raised median pointless.
    Hey, for what it's worth and what I know(which isn't much), a round-a-bout would be great here. Since enrolling at OU, I've been on Lindsey twice now and from what I've seen, there is generally minimal to no traffic, so a round-a-bout with bike lanes and wide sidewalks would do this road great.

There is space along part of the north side, notably between Berry and Pickard. But it starts getting tight after that, on both sides. I'm inclined to think that the buy up the north side of the street folks would be less thrilled with the mantra if they owned, as one example, the lovely two story home at Flood/Lindsey (though that sad fence hides quite a bit of it.)
    Last edited by kevinpate; 08-22-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: tipos

7. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Ther eis space along part of the north side, noteably between Berry and Pickard. But it starts getting tight after that, on both sides. I'm inclined to think that the buy up the north side of the street folks would be less thrilled with the mantra if they owned, as one example, the lovely two story home at Flood/Lindsey (though that sad fence hides quite a bit of it.)
    I could imagine the roar from people asking why properties on the southside aren't subject to the same acquisition possibilities. I'm looking at 1012 W Lindsey, the house with the brick/concrete walls all the way to the street. They have roughly 60 feet from the edge of the street to the house. I see no reason why the city can't take 20' of it for a sidewalk and bike lane.

i wonder if any of you have driven down a road with traffic circles only .. with 10x+ normal traffic does parking lot mean anything to you ..

9. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i wonder if any of you have driven down a road with traffic circles only .. with 10x+ normal traffic does parking lot mean anything to you ..
    I have and haven't had that experience. What evidence do you have to show it would be nothing but a parking lot? You also still haven't replied to my last post. Please enlighten us on why you are so against roundabouts?

I have and haven't had that experience. What evidence do you have to show it would be nothing but a parking lot? You also still haven't replied to my last post. Please enlighten us on why you are so against roundabouts?
    I think maybe bouldersooner was talking about OU game days? For 5 or 6 days a year I think it would be relatively easy to make the streets one way - incoming before the game, outgoing after. Ought to be enough time during the game to make the changeover.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I think maybe bouldersooner was talking about OU game days? For 5 or 6 days a year I think it would be relatively easy to make the streets one way - incoming before the game, outgoing after. Ought to be enough time during the game to make the changeover.
    they do that with Lindsey after games now

12. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Yeah Lindsey goes one way right now, well not the part we are talking about getting redesigned. Unless they've changed it, they sit there and utilize the center turn lane as an extra lane based on which way traffic needs to flow. Past Berry to Campus does go one way.

We are still waiting though to get any response of length and worth from him though. He apparently has something driving his position, I think it is fair to ask for him to share it.

So we are back to using 6 Saturdays a year as the design standard for the other 359 days?

Carmel, IN - population 85,000 has over 60 roundabouts. They have replaced 80% of their stoplights.

Important quote: "A roundabout can handle 4 to 5 times the amount of traffic as a traffic signal can in the same amount of time". That is 400% to 500% more efficient.

http://www.structurepoint.com/docume...e_Corridor.pdf

On a related note - the City of Clearwater Beach replaced their main traffic light with a roundabout because traffic was backing up for miles (yes miles) at the traffic light. After some initial issue with the traffic circle design cars are now free flowing through the intersection. Upto 58,000 cars a day go through this roundabout everyday.

http://www.beachnewsletters.com/issues/clwt_dec11.pdf

Can someone post a video of a traffic jam at a roundabout?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I haven't seen a video posted yet of a roundabout with heavy traffic in spite of what was claimed.

There are several "jammed" traffic circles here.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I haven't seen a video posted yet of a roundabout with heavy traffic in spite of what was claimed.

There are several "jammed" traffic circles here.
    I knew it - at the 5:56 mark you finally get to the stop light that is backing up all the traffic..... but now I am motion sick.

As I don't have any proof, all I can say is, you can't sit there and tell me, that there has been no traffic incidents and jams at round-a-bouts. Again, I think a round-a-bout would be great here, but for something like a 6 lane road, round-a-bouts are not a good option, imo.

As I don't have any proof, all I can say is, you can't sit there and tell me, that there has been no traffic incidents and jams at round-a-bouts. Again, I think a round-a-bout would be great here, but for something like a 6 lane road, round-a-bouts are not a good option, imo.
    That is the thing though - if we used the more efficient traffic circle we wouldn't need 6 lane roads.

That is the thing though - if we used the more efficient traffic circle we wouldn't need 6 lane roads.
    So you're telling me, that if Preston Rd. in Dallas were reduced to 4 lanes and replaced the intersections with round-a-bouts it would solve traffic there? I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it.

I think what you're getting at would work in a lot of different scenarios, Lindsey being one of them, but there are cases where I just don't think it would work out that well.

So you're telling me, that if Preston Rd. in Dallas were reduced to 4 lanes and replaced the intersections with round-a-bouts it would solve traffic there? I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it.

I think what you're getting at would work in a lot of different scenarios, Lindsey being one of them, but there are cases where I just don't think it would work out that well.
    A very good observation^

Much of the new development along Preston Road wouldn’t even be there without it having the traffic capacity that it does.

If we want nice things we have got to have the will to provide the circumstances and environment for them to be built.
    Preston Road does that by providing 6 lanes of traffic with good intersections and turning lanes. Traffic moves along at a good pace for a major city street. But most major Dallas streets have been built similarly for many decades. Many citys in Texas now build this way.
    Designing streets like they have has helped the quality of growth as can be seen by the higher incomes in many areas of north Dallas and other locations. It a classic example of how nice things are often attracted to other nice things.

In some places where they have gone back and rebuilt old out of date streets it has helped spur the redevelopment of very old neighborhoods closer to down town.

You can't replace what good modern streets built to modern day standards can do to a community, even in old areas, by any other means.

22. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Neither of the "roundabouts" in those videos even look remotely close to the setup they would have for Lindsey street. Also everyone intersection appears to have traffic lights in those videos and some just look like left turning lanes where people just don't yield. I'm not seeing anything where the roundabout is the cause of the backup.

Neither of the "roundabouts" in those videos even look remotely close to the setup they would have for Lindsey street. Also everyone intersection appears to have traffic lights in those videos and some just look like left turning lanes where people just don't yield. I'm not seeing anything where the roundabout is the cause of the backup.
    Venture, people are the main cause of all traffic jams whether it's a roundabout or a traditional intersection. Anyone who thinks traffic jams won't happen at traffic circles are totally fooling themselves. I only saw one traffic light in the second video and it was to stop traffic from one direction that was entering the roundabout.

24. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Venture, people are the main cause of all traffic jams whether it's a roundabout or a traditional intersection. Anyone who thinks traffic jams won't happen at traffic circles are totally fooling themselves. I only saw one traffic light in the second video and it was to stop traffic from one direction that was entering the roundabout.
    There were several in there, but I won't make you watch it again. That was rough. LOL

I don't think anyone is saying that there won't be traffic delays on any busy road way - with or without a roundabout. We also need to make sure that we compare like solutions. Modern roundabouts can't be compared to the traffic circles of old that don't have yield entry restrictions, traffic deflections, and increased flare of the entries.

There were several in there, but I won't make you watch it again. That was rough. LOL
    I have watched the second video several times and the only light I saw that could possibly affect people in the roundabout was flashing yellow. I think my videos provided a good contrast to the light traffic videos that were posted previously that obviously are intended to show them in the best light. I'm not a fan as I have stated in numerous times here in various threads.

Thread Information