Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

1. Default Re: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    anything can go south quickly in this town, but those prices will actually bring in a Culprits-type crowd. Never underestimate the power of women and their Instagram buddies. They will be at this place often.
    I was at the VIP evening and it was a pretty fun night. Everyone was taking photos and tagging Glamour in their posts. I received a ton of inquiries into the place from others who haven't been there. They have done a great job with this marketing strategy. I don't think it is a place for me unless a good comic comes to do a show there. I do think the clientele they are seeking will love this place and it will do great in this area.

Default Re: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

I was at the VIP evening and it was a pretty fun night. Everyone was taking photos and tagging Glamour in their posts. I received a ton of inquiries into the place from others who haven't been there. They have done a great job with this marketing strategy. I don't think it is a place for me unless a good comic comes to do a show there. I do think the clientele they are seeking will love this place and it will do great in this area.
    Was anyone too horrified by the "Glam AF" sign to finish eating their expensive food?

3. Default Re: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Was anyone too horrified by the "Glam AF" sign to finish eating their expensive food?
    It was just hors d'oeuvres and a free cocktail. Most ended up in front of it because it is strategically placed in front of the bathrooms. LOL

i think there will be much more overlap in the crowd of this place and places like La Brasa / Kongs ect then many on this board thing

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i think there will be much more overlap in the crowd of this place and places like La Brasa / Kongs ect then many on this board thing
    It's not like they are going to manufacture new people who like to go out in OKC.

Not all the people that go to those places are bad apples. I actually had fun at Kong's before they started using shady promoters.

They are aiming more for the Jones and City + State crowd and like those two places, they are not selling cheap food and drinks.

Time will tell of course but this place is a million times nicer than Kong's or La Brasa and that counts for a lot.

What’s wrong with La Brasa? One of my favorite restaurants in OKC. Always felt it was a fun vibe and I never felt, in any way, unsafe/uncomfortable there.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    What’s wrong with La Brasa? One of my favorite restaurants in OKC. Always felt it was a fun vibe and I never felt, in any way, unsafe/uncomfortable there.
    It's a completely different crowd late on the weekends.

Curious who the promoter is. Exciting if this leads to some high-quality bookings.

9. Default Re: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

One thing that only night owls probably know is that even Jones was a ****show for a while shortly after it opened; the restrooms upstairs were occasionally vomitoriums, stuff got torn up, neighborhood had traffic and law enforcement issues, sometimes felt like a slightly dangerous frat party.

Places get hot, the party people take over. It’s also easy for places to see what the easy money looks like and get tempted down the path of trying for it and catering to it. Sometimes it’s easy to just go along for the ride when it appears. How a place weathers that initial popularity storm tells a lot about the ownership/operators.

In the case of Jones, they held firm to their vision.Helped immensely that money is not an issue or even the primary driving factor behind Jones, so they didn’t need to lunge at easy money. Hopefully this operator does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    One thing that only night owls probably know is that even Jones was a ****show for a while shortly after it opened; the restrooms upstairs were occasionally vomitoriums, stuff got torn up, neighborhood had traffic and law enforcement issues, sometimes felt like a slightly dangerous frat party.

Places get hot, the party people take over. It’s also easy for places to see what the easy money looks like and get tempted down the path of trying for it and catering to it. Sometimes it’s easy to just go along for the ride when it appears. How a place weathers that initial popularity storm tells a lot about the ownership/operators.

In the case of Jones, they held firm to their vision.Helped immensely that money is not an issue or even the primary driving factor behind Jones, so they didn’t need to lunge at easy money. Hopefully this operator does the same.
    all of this !!

No doubt the Jones even still gets crazy late on some nights but that is a completely different crowd than Kongs/Sunset/Pink Parrot(RIP)/and some of the other bricktown clubs. Especially the first few years after it opened and occasionally today, my friends and I often closed the Jones down but we've never felt unsafe there (as opposed to every woman I know who's walked into Kongs late at night saying they felt instantly unsafe and never went back).

The Jones late night crowd can't handle their alcohol sometimes but for the most part aren't starting fights and definitely aren't shooting at each other. What's the difference? Are the other bars' promotors really seeking out the trash human beings who do that kind of stuff to be patrons at those bars? Definitely prefer the people throwing up all over themselves over the ones at Kongs/Sunset if I have to choose lol.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Curious who the promoter is. Exciting if this leads to some high-quality bookings.
    By the looks of it, I would assume it would lean towards DJs, but Pete's write-up does say live music and comics, as well, so it'll be interesting to see what the mix of talent they book will be.

Do we know what the capacity for shows is?

Remember, there are 3 completely separate rooms, each with its own bar.

The main room with the tables and booths will see the tables removed as the night goes on and there is a DJ booth in the corner.

The 2nd space (Vanity) is more chill and has a large U-shaped bar. If there is a DJ it will be someone like Kora Waves; more laid-back.

The 3rd room (Vinyl) is the one with the large stage. That's where they'll have occasional live music, hi-energy DJ's and periodic comedy.

All have great sound and video systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Remember, there are 3 completely separate rooms, each with its own bar.

The main room with the tables and booths will see the tables removed as the night goes on and there is a DJ booth in the corner.

The 2nd space (Vanity) is more chill and has a large U-shaped bar. If there is a DJ it will be someone like Kora Waves; more laid-back.

The 3rd room (Vinyl) is the one with the large stage. That's where they'll have occasional live music, hi-energy DJ's and periodic comedy.

All have great sound and video systems.
    I forgot that there are three rooms.

If anything, I think it will be interesting to see how they navigate the multi-concept approach. Not always an easy thing to pull off. It does look amazing, though, and can't wait to check it out.

Thinking about this more, it seems the Film Row / West Downtown scene is plenty lively but largely devoid of the shooty/stabby drama.

Not only Jones, but Golden Hour has been going for years and I've never heard of an incident there. Pour was the opposite; they used the same promoters as Kong's and Sunset but thankfully it flamed out pretty quickly.

Flashback is packed on Fridays and Saturdays with a DJ and they have been careful to cultivate the right kind of crowd. I'm been in there many times quite late and it's always fun.

Sun Cattle has a strong bar scene as does OK Cider, the Library, Core 4, and Bar Arbolada. Farther west, Fair Weather Friend, Beer City and Flycatcher have strong business but nothing crazy. Farmer's Market has two of the best bars in town: Power House and Palo Santo.

Nearby Glamour, The Flea has found its audience and I've always liked it there.

So, there is ample evidence to suggest that Glamour can build on all this.

The two proprietors are from OKC but have done several things in Dallas; they aren't club kids and they have made not only a huge investment but spent a lot of time on the details.

I prefer to be optimistic about them.

16. Default Re: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

No doubt the Jones even still gets crazy late on some nights but that is a completely different crowd than Kongs/Sunset/Pink Parrot(RIP)/and some of the other bricktown clubs. Especially the first few years after it opened and occasionally today, my friends and I often closed the Jones down but we've never felt unsafe there (as opposed to every woman I know who's walked into Kongs late at night saying they felt instantly unsafe and never went back)...
    DEFINITELY not saying Jones ever went that direction, in fact that is kind of my point. They easily COULD have. They got SMOKING hot, money was pouring in, it without question got douchey for a minute. But the owners held true to their vision and never opted to lean into what was being presented during the stupidly-popular honeymoon phase. It's a choice.

Thinking about this more, it seems the Film Row / West Downtown scene is plenty lively but largely devoid of the shooty/stabby drama.

Not only Jones, but Golden Hour has been going for years and I've never heard of an incident there. Pour was the opposite; they used the same promoters as Kong's and Sunset but thankfully it flamed out pretty quickly.

Flashback is packed on Fridays and Saturdays with a DJ and they have been careful to cultivate the right kind of crowd. I'm been in there many times quite late and it's always fun.

Sun Cattle has a strong bar scene as does OK Cider, the Library, Core 4, and Bar Arbolada. Farther west, Fair Weather Friend, Beer City and Flycatcher have strong business but nothing crazy. Farmer's Market has two of the best bars in town: Power House and Palo Santo.

Nearby Glamour, The Flea has found its audience and I've always liked it there.

So, there is ample evidence to suggest that Glamour can build on all this.

The two proprietors are from OKC but have done several things in Dallas; they aren't club kids and they have made not only a huge investment but spent a lot of time on the details.

I prefer to be optimistic about them.
    It's such a huge area that I always forget how much is going on there. Pretty cool to think about.

DEFINITELY not saying Jones ever went that direction, in fact that is kind of my point. They easily COULD have. They got SMOKING hot, money was pouring in, it without question got douchey for a minute. But the owners held true to their vision and never opted to lean into what was being presented during the stupidly-popular honeymoon phase. It's a choice.
    No doubt. I don't think Fassler has ever intended to drift that direction (and is def not as bad as Kongs/sunset) but it does tend to get a little rougher from time to time. Definitively a testament to what the Jones has been able to do.

No doubt. I don't think Fassler has ever intended to drift that direction (and is def not as bad as Kongs/sunset) but it does tend to get a little rougher from time to time. Definitively a testament to what the Jones has been able to do.
    It doesn't help Fassler that is between Kong's and Sunset.

BTW, rumor is that Sunset might not be around much longer and I know the Midtown Renaissance group wants to buy the Kong's building. You have to believe that when Phillips Murrah moves in there will be far less tolerance of the Kong's/Sunset mayhem.

20. Default Re: Glamour (formerly Banquet Cinema Pub)

It doesn't help Fassler that is between Kong's and Sunset.

BTW, rumor is that Sunset might not be around much longer and I know the Midtown Renaissance group wants to buy the Kong's building. You have to believe that when Phillips Murrah moves in there will be far less tolerance of the Kong's/Sunset mayhem.
    I have intentionally never set foot inside of Sunset simply because of the ownership group. They won't get my money, nor will Kong's.

This place will do well. I don’t think it’s somewhere I would go all the time, but it seems like it could become a destination. As discussed biggest challenge will be to keep on the straight and narrow to get past the initial wave of “want to be” influencers checking out the new hot spot. Once it settles down it should attract a good base of patrons.

Also re: midtown. It was such a bummer to see it being infected with the rough crowd. Midtown always had a professional, after hours vibe. The opposite of what Sunset/Kongs/Fassler was attracting. I’m a quiet person and appreciate a cocktail with a relaxing atmosphere, even tolerant of upbeat but casual. I hate going to places and feeling uncomfortable by obnoxious people.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I have intentionally never set foot inside of Sunset simply because of the ownership group. They won't get my money, nor will Kong's.
    Yeah most of the stuff that dude touches starts out cool and ends up sucking hard for the same reasons.

That said, I think all of those places getting new operators and rebranded will help set fassler right. McNellies is a solid ownership group. And sunset is a pretty cool space which is one thing the guy running it did right.

What have they done wrong?

Glamour is now open. I've been targeted on social media with a slick video. This place may not be around forever but it's going to be a fun place to go this summer for sure.

Thread Information