Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Swadley's

Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think we don't know what we don't know. I am willing to give the story the time necessary to get to the truth before I draw a conclusion. Having said that-at first blush it does look like Governor Stitt's team were either crooks or rookies.
    Why not both?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    That was my impression too, but it makes me wonder why they bought and overpaid for smokers. Do you think they bought them on the state's dime and meant to use them for their non-state restaurants?
    That certainly appears to be the case. The State was on the hook for equipment and labor in the Foggy Bottom restaurants, and they were reportedly using those facilities and employees to fill catering orders in OKC.

This was a massive swindle. No doubt. It was fun to argue what I guess is the other side and watch the tribalism ensue. But what I said about the Canoo deal materializing and landing Panasonic making this story go away is also true. It will likely take an Oklahoma County District Attorney to do something, or maybe several of them. I wouldn't be shocked if the A.G. asserted his jurisdiction over it and then just lets it die.

We sit around and make fun of Russia for being so corrupt and incompetent and we don't realize that we're resembling them more every day. Sure, the Swadley Swindle is minor league ball compared to what's going on over there. But we're getting there. Bit by bit.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    That was my impression too, but it makes me wonder why they bought and overpaid for smokers. Do you think they bought them on the state's dime and meant to use them for their non-state restaurants?
    My impresssion from reading the articles was that Foggy bought them used from Swadleys.

Blog Entries

^Selling old smokers at inflated prices to the State = getting brand new smokers in the locations from which the old ones came from. Nice way to get brand new smokers (state essential pays for them).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    My impresssion from reading the articles was that Foggy bought them used from Swadleys.
    i'm not sure about that... here's what i had previously read:

In August 2021, Foggy Bottom billed the Tourism Department for two barbecue smoker pits from the Oklahoma City-based company Quality Food Equipment, priced at $51,346 each. The Frontier found the same model of smoker at another restaurant supply company priced at $29,570.
    it's still suspicious, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm not sure about that... here's what i had previously read:

it's still suspicious, though...
    Especially since Foggy Bottom didnt make or sell BBQ. Dont need a $50,000 smoker to cook burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Especially since Foggy Bottom didnt make or sell BBQ. Dont need a $50,000 smoker to cook burgers.
    You'd need them if you were cooking food off-site from the restaurants for catering orders to be able to have the states cover your costs per the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    You'd need them if you were cooking food off-site from the restaurants for catering orders to be able to have the states cover your costs per the contract.
    i can accept that the smokers might be needed to fulfill catering orders... the part that is odd to me is paying almost double the going rate for them. i suppose it's possible that delivery, installation, and/or a service contract were included.

9. Default Re: Swadley's

At this point I don't think Swadley and Winchester deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I'm not taking political sides on this issue. However, I am completely against corruption and criminals, and those who are guilty need to have their day in court

Having said that, I was born and raised, and still have lots of family, very near the Quartz Mountain State Park, which had a restaurant run by Swadleys.

If you live in a rural area, and for now let's just say SW Oklahoma, Western Oklahoma, NW Oklahoma and the Panhandle, and let's throw in the Texas Panhandle, there are very few good places to eat. Many towns don't even have anything more than a convenience store selling crap and coffee, or possibly a greasy spoon diner that is serving crappy food and barely keeping their doors open, etc.

When the restaurant space was taken over by Swadleys everyone was excited, and when it opened everyone who dined there was so happy to have a nice place to eat and enjoy a good meal.

Yeah, I know, that's all a relative experience, and most people might turn their nose up at Swadleys and go to a place more their liking, but when you have little to zero opportunity to eat a a decent place, it makes you happy and go you go again and again.

So, here is the, I can't think of the right word at 1:45 in the morning, but I'll use conundrum. Here is the conundrum: Someone had the idea to come into underserved areas and give folks a decent place to eat, to entertain, to gather with friends or family reunions..... And some greedy person thoroughly mucks up, FUBAR's it up, all in the name of GREED, and in the end, people who were happy with their new circumstances have had that taken away from them.

I am NOT defending Swadleys, the governor, the others. Politicians and greedy folks always muck things up, and that's sad. Really sad.

You could have run things honestly and ethically and been legal, but noooooooooooo you had to get greedy and steal and connive and cheat because you wanted even more money and were willing to do this.

Or so it seems, the facts will come out in the end, and charges may or may not be filed, people may or may not be fined or jailed,
    etc.

Justice must be served.
    Yes, this is a sad deal. The parks needed better restaurants. Quartz is a beautiful location but the restaurant at the lodge has been hit or miss for two decades. Other parks didn't have reliable operators.

I do understand the excitement when these were announced. I saw the Discover Oklahoma episode about Foggy Bottom and I thought it was a fabulous concept for the parks.

But, but, this whole thing just seems like an example of what happens when you put people in charge of the government who inherently believe government is corrupt.

11. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes, this is a sad deal. The parks needed better restaurants. Quartz is a beautiful location but the restaurant at the lodge has been hit or miss for two decades. Other parks didn't have reliable operators.

I do understand the excitement when these were announced. I saw the Discover Oklahoma episode about Foggy Bottom and I thought it was a fabulous concept for the parks.

But, but, this whole thing just seems like an example of what happens when you put people in charge of the government who inherently believe government is corrupt.
    Well I guess the upside is there are now nice redone restaurants in all state parks and new places can take those spots? Of course there will be a long drawn out legal battle I'm sure.

12. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Well I guess the upside is there are now nice redone restaurants in all state parks and new places can take those spots? Of course there will be a long drawn out legal battle I'm sure.
    Apparently the legal battle won't stop the state from moving forward? There's been a statement released that the state is moving forward with the bidding process to find new operator(s) of the State Park restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonesia View Post
    Swadley's is a "great place to eat" maybe if you've literally NEVER eaten BBQ before...
    They have some of the most variation in quality between restaurants I think I have ever seen in a chain restaurant. Sure many chains will have variation where well managed ones have better quality and service than others. However there are different Swadley's that seem like they are not even affiliated to the same company.

Swadley's did a great nm

It is impressive how quickly the governor has distanced himself from the Swadley's fiasco. He is turning a potentially massive scandal into a "look at me calling for all of the audits" ploy that will probably work well enough with his base of voters.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It is impressive how quickly the governor has distanced himself from the Swadley's fiasco. He is turning a potentially massive scandal into a "look at me calling for all of the audits" ploy that will probably work well enough with his base of voters.
    Well, I don't know there's much of anything he can do or say that won't work with his base of voters.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Well, I don't know there's much of anything he can do or say that won't work with his base of voters.
    Yeah, anyone who thinks this is actually going to make a difference come November is kidding themselves. Stitt won by 10+% in 2018 in what was assuredly a more difficult midterm environment for the GOP than this November is going to be. I would love to see the dude get shown the door, but realistically it is not going to happen.

18. Default Re: Swadley's

I didn't know the mods had reopened the politics forums again?

19. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    They have some of the most variation in quality between restaurants I think I have ever seen in a chain restaurant. Sure many chains will have variation where well managed ones have better quality and service than others. However there are different Swadley's that seem like they are not even affiliated to the same company.
    Not just between restaurants.... I've noticed it at the same location. One day they will serve something that's actually really good and the next time I was there I would be questioning how the meat I was served made it out of the kitchen to a table instead of a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I didn't know the mods had reopened the politics forums again?
    they didn't. : ) i removed a post that strayed too much into partisan politics. just a gentle warning to stick to discussing the facts here.

Before this plays out. They want to get a new contract.

22. Default Re: Swadley's

The more that comes out the more corrupt this deal looks.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...-from-day-one/

23. Default Re: Swadley's

This is just a massively ballooning scandal. You never know which one is going to stick in the public's mind. This one clearly is that.

https://twitter.com/ForrestBennett/s...UgrbPLWld-CY9Q

Forrest Bennett
    @ForrestBennett
    At one point, Swadley’s turned in a report that included $164,903 in travel costs. At the federal reimbursement rate of 56 cents/mile, that would be about four trips around the world. So, probably not accurate.

Thread Information