Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Distance remains the same. The stuck in traffic wait time will decrease rather than the mph increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Keep in mind that every city has an issue with emergency response times during major events. Think about Washington or New York - when there is even a minor emergency, every roadway is at a standstill. That is nothing that is unique to a suburban city with an university.

It may not be unique but that doesn’t make it right or even acceptable for us.

We should set our sights much higher than average.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Distance remains the same. The stuck in traffic wait time will decrease rather than the mph increasing.
    So average MPH will increase right. Won't the traffic just increase to the point that the average MPH goes back down to what it is today? Then what - 6 lanes?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Then what - 6 lanes?
    No 6TH lane.

We will build an elevated fly over…..

So average MPH will increase right. Won't the traffic just increase to the point that the average MPH goes back down to what it is today? Then what - 6 lanes?
    so with your logic .. we should never have a 4 lane road .... maybe I35 should just be 1 lane in each direction???

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    so with your logic .. we should never have a 4 lane road .... maybe I35 should just be 1 lane in each direction???

Boulder, now you under Kerry. That's exactly what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Four lane boulevards sure. Rural interstates - yep. Urban interstates - nope. St Louis is in the process of removing I-70 through downtown and replacing it with an at-grade boulevard (sound familiar?).

http://americancity.org/buzz/entry/3403/

So will removing urban interstates work, even if they are just moving them a few blocks for now? We will soon find out first hand. Rest assured though, if land along the removed freeway skyrockets AFTER the removal more people are going to want the freeway near them removed as well. We already see what a great attractor of quality developments I-40 through OKC has been.

I don’t think anybody is seriously talking about making Lindsey Street in Norman an urban interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I don’t think anybody is seriously talking about making Lindsey Street in Norman an urban interstate.
    That wasn't in the comment I was refering to so I agree, no one is talking about making Lindsey an urban interstate. I-35 is an urban interstate though.

Lots of earth moving happening on both sides of Robinson (north & south) on the east side of I35. looks like they're starting to begin work on that interchange. Does anyone have links to renderings of what this will all look like when completed?

^^
    In that regard, there is also a good mile or so of temporary jersey barriers between Lindsey and Main on the Northbound side. From the looks of it there doesn't appear to be a lot of dirt work but I would imagine its not to far off.

i'm not sure if there are any good ones... i was at a UNP update back in February, and the rendering they had for their presentation wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3791 View Post
    Lots of earth moving happening on both sides of Robinson (north & south) on the east side of I35. looks like they're starting to begin work on that interchange. Does anyone have links to renderings of what this will all look like when completed?
    I drove by their yesterday and it looked like they were doing utility directional drilling and just starting on new drainage.
    It also looked like they may be getting ready to build temporary by pass lanes on the east / north bound side.

14. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i'm not sure if there are any good ones... i was at a UNP update back in February, and the rendering they had for their presentation wasn't very good.
    There was one in the Transcript print edition a few weeks back. However looking at the article online it isn't available there.

City council members will consider calling a general obligation bond election for Aug. 28 that would provide $42.5 million for street and bridge improvements, including a widening project for W Lindsey Street. The council meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Municipal Building’s council chambers, 201 W Gray St.
    The city proposes widening W Lindsey from Interstate 35 to Berry Road, increasing driving lanes to four, including a center turn lane, and incorporating landscaped areas, bike lanes and sidewalk improvements.
    The roadwork would be coupled with drainage improvements to solve flooding problems along Lindsey, especially at the McGee Street intersection, often dubbed “Lake McGee” when it rains.
    Other improvements that would be funded if the bond package is approved include reconstruction of the W Main Street bridge at Brookhaven Creek, reconstruction of the Franklin Road bridge at Little River, widening 36th Avenue NW from Tecumseh Road to Indian Hills Road and widening Alameda Street from 24th Avenue E to 48th Avenue E. ...

http://newsok.com/norman-city-counci...ne_norman-news

i'll vote for it! not a project mentioned that i think is a terrible idea

I will vote for this too........ but so much more is needed.

18. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Lindsey between I-35 and Berry is a nightmare. I support any kind of improvements they want to do to the area. Like others have already said, it should've been widened 20 years ago. Better late than never.

Can anyone define 'improvement'? What exactly are you expecting to get better?

Can anyone define 'improvement'? What exactly are you expecting to get better?
    perhaps the drainage gets done slightly better so that there is not 8 inches of water sitting at Lindsey and McGee if it rains half an inch...

the ability to pass that person who feels the need to drive 25 miles per hour from berry all the way to I-35 (happens quite often)

when going west bound from I-35, don't have to worry about people not knowing that the road goes to 1 lane right after Del Rancho, so they swerve over and almost hit your vehicle cause they didn't look before merging...

allow for more traffic to be on the road with it being two lanes so that a light at McGee and Lindsey doesn't make traffic stop at Flood and Lindsey

just to name a few

21. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

perhaps the drainage gets done slightly better so that there is not 8 inches of water sitting at Lindsey and McGee if it rains half an inch...

the ability to pass that person who feels the need to drive 25 miles per hour from berry all the way to I-35 (happens quite often)

when going west bound from I-35, don't have to worry about people not knowing that the road goes to 1 lane right after Del Rancho, so they swerve over and almost hit your vehicle cause they didn't look before merging...

allow for more traffic to be on the road with it being two lanes so that a light at McGee and Lindsey doesn't make traffic stop at Flood and Lindsey

just to name a few
    All good reasons, but don't worry. Kerry is just against any project like this that doesn't fit his vision of what a city should be. Luckily he doesn't live in Norman, hell he doesn't even live in Oklahoma (why he still trolls here is beyond me), so what he thinks has nothing to do...and will do nothing...to us that actually live and work here.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I can't speak for Kerry but I still call OKC home. =)
    No worries Sid - half the people on OKCTalk don't live in Oklahoma. Which probably explains why our idea seem so revolutionary. For the record though, my mom lives off Alameda and I have a sister that works at Walmart by I35 and a sister that works at OU.

No worries Sid - half the people on OKCTalk don't live in Oklahoma. Which probably explains why our idea seem so revolutionary. For the record though, my mom lives off Alameda and I have a sister that works at Walmart by I35 and a sister that works at OU.

i think most of the "live in oklahoma" category are too busy complaining about what WWLS did or didn't do over on the sports section of the forum. I always love going over there for a laugh

24. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

The distance is 1 mile. The cumulative difference between 35 mph (posted) and 25 mph on this distance is about 30 seconds. Assuming you're going the speed limit and considering traffic, by the time you pass them, you will probably have to cut them off to get into the turn lane for 35.

Check out Edmond, where all the family-friendly arterials are 4-5 lanes with a typical posted speed limit of 45 mph. I would argue the traffic there is much more unpleasant and dangerous than in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
    The distance is 1 mile. The cumulative difference between 35 mph (posted) and 25 mph on this distance is about 30 seconds. Assuming you're going the speed limit and considering traffic, by the time you pass them, you will probably have to cut them off to get into the turn lane for 35.

Check out Edmond, where all the family-friendly arterials are 4-5 lanes with a typical posted speed limit of 45 mph. I would argue the traffic there is much more unpleasant and dangerous than in Norman.

but with stop lights the time could mean the difference between hitting a light or not hitting a light... meaning the difference in time could be as much as 3 or 4 minutes... not to mention that it actually slows down traffic even more because of this.... have you ever seen lindsey with a solid line of cars going all the way from McGee to campus? cause i have. and perhaps my statement that a 25 mile per hour driver on a main thoroughfare that is a single lane in each direction in the states 3rd most populous city, is the incorrect one to convince you, it is still part of a problem.

Thread Information