Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Union Station

Default Re: Union Station

I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

Union Station is my favorite building in OKC and this seems like the perfect use.

Don't know if their will be a cafe, but hopefully that will be added at some point.

The covered loggia overlooking the park with views of the skyline beyond would make the perfect setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

Union Station is my favorite building in OKC and this seems like the perfect use.

Don't know if their will be a cafe, but hopefully that will be added at some point.

The covered loggia overlooking the park with views of the skyline beyond would make the perfect setting.
    Just curious, why do so you like this building? I'm not familiar with it, so I thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just curious, why do so you like this building? I'm not familiar with it, so I thought I'd ask.
    Because it's amazing (see the photos) and it's very well preserved.

It's just so cool in general and the way it will tie into the park will make it all the more special.

I may be more excited about this than First National.

Very cool that plans to renovate both these structures were revealed just two days apart!

So is the plan for them to occupy the entire building? Wasn't their a plan for a restaurant in part of the space?

I believe they will take a good portion and the remainder will be for exhibits and events -- mainly the two former waiting rooms.

There has never been any formal plans for the building prior to this, just speculation that it would make for a good cafe and events space.

Pete, I share your enthusiasm in seeing this great structure open and useful again. I remember marveling at it in the early sixties. You're almost correct about this being the perfect use. It would have made a great train station. Again, I share your enthusiasm.

TT

7. Default Re: Union Station

This is a week of great news...yet another awesome plan! I was a bit concerned wit where the Arts Council was going to end up. Mainly that they would end up on the NW side somewhere in some boring office tower instead of downtown (where they belong). And what a great use for the old station! We're really seeing some great news this week from all kinds of angles, and it's very exciting.

I'm sure there will be detractors from the multimodal camp, but I personally feel that the ship left long ago for this building being able to serve that purpose.

8. Default Re: Union Station

This is fantastic news. I can't think of a better tenant for this gem of a building.

I stare at this building every time I drive down i-40. Easily the most interesting landmark along the entire new stretch of i-40.

So happy that they have found a good use for this building and this almost guarantees the arts festival will be held in the new park, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    So happy that they have found a good use for this building and this almost guarantees the arts festival will be held in the new park, right?
    I'm sure that hasn't been decided yet but it's an interesting question.

With Stage Center and the the Arts Council gone from the current site, the only real reason for staying is the Myriad Gardens. But there will soon be a new park all around Union Station, so it seems it may make sense to move it, as there would be even more space.

Would also allow them to incorporate Union Station and indoor exhibits into the festival.

In fact, this might allow the Council to do more frequent, similar events at other times during the year since streets wouldn't have to be closed.

for me it makes perfect sense to have the Festival of the arts in the new park once complete.. its a great fit.

12. Default Re: Union Station

why does it only have to be in the new park? MBG is close enough, right? The river district is close by too, right?

Why not incorporate both/all; have the bulk of it in the new park while still utilizing the programming features of MBG (the performance venues, exhibits, and play areas); and perhaps something fun to do at the Boathouse/River district. This would allow the Festival of the Arts to G R O W and perhaps be the largest in the state (finally) and one of the premier in the nation perhaps. You might even be able to eventually throw in Farmers Market and Wheeler district (ferris wheel, anyone?) in the fairly near future.

With the new park and MBG, OKC could shoot for all of the festivals to be on a grand scale. Talk about national attention. .., I ONLY know of Chicago (which always hosts the biggest festivals (arts, taste, etc) btw) that scales at this level OKC potentially has.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

13. Default Re: Union Station

sorry to detract a little from union station in the above post; but it is Union Station related in that it is the anchor of the new park.

I did get excited at the potential for Union Park to be a huge game-changer for downtown and OKC in general. To be able to link all of the existing and new civic features into something that truly could compete with the biggest/best of all (Chicago), that speaks volumes to MAPS and how far OKC has come. It's hard not to be excited at OKC realizing its incredible potential.

I say, build that airport expansion because we very likely might actually need it since we will have these excellent downtown venues plus a new convention center to offer. ... W oO W!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sure that hasn't been decided yet but it's an interesting question.

With Stage Center and the the Arts Council gone from the current site, the only real reason for staying is the Myriad Gardens. But there will soon be a new park all around Union Station, so it seems it may make sense to move it, as there would be even more space.

Would also allow them to incorporate Union Station and indoor exhibits into the festival.

In fact, this might allow the Council to do more frequent, similar events at other times during the year since streets wouldn't have to be closed.
    I wonder how much business they lose at lunchtime if they move outside of walking distance from the core. When I was at 1 N Hudson, there were streams of people walking over everyday from the business district to eat lunch and walk around. We generally would go over 1-3 times a day and we wouldn't do that if that far away. May not matter but would be interesting to know.

^

Great point.

These are from the latest Hargeaves presentation on Central Park. I'll be posting more images in that thread but wanted to include these here because they pertain directly to how Union Station might be integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Tom Elmore, at it again. A comment from Steve's chat today:

Couch was one of those who gleefully threw in with ODOT to unnecessarily destroy OKC Union Station's rail facility and its direct connections to Will Rogers World Airport and Tinker.

This is not the work of "pro-transit people."

It was the strongest message Couch / Cornett / Humphreys could conceivably have sent to perceptive voters -- because it needlessly destroyed the last, best urban rail passenger center remaining unused in the nation and a set of existing rail connections and other boons that, as late Dallas Area Rapid Transit board member Dr. Dan Monaghan stated, "Dallas would have killed for...."

That cut no ice with the likes of Couch.

I keep wondering -- does anybody but me "get it" yet?

Here's what was being funded by 14-year Oklahoma 5th District Congressman Ernest J. Istook for his pals in Utah and Arizona as he simultaneously funded the slobbering, knuckle-dragging obsession of McCaleb / Ridley / Cornett / Humphreys / Couch / Salyer (et al) to destroy the 12-track-wide, 8-block-long, at-grade OKCUS yard, its three platforms and their expensive and elegant underground passage ways to the 55,000 sq. ft. Union Station Terminal Building --

(By the way, JIM --- where's the "Bus Rapid Transit" in Salt Lake? And, uh -- one more point, JIM -- UTAH is where Tinker's competitor, Hill AFB is located. San Antonio, you might remember, already LOST its "Air Logistics Center." And you "wanna be like them," I guess. 60 daily, fast, modern Frontrunner commuter trains link Salt Lake / Provo and Ogden to each other -- via HILL -- now the ONLY USAF Air Logistics Center in the nation with "oil-crisis-proof-workforce-mobility." Frontrunner is the commuter rail component of what is now a viable, strategically redundant transportation system hedging around the Wasatch front range in the event that "something goes wrong in the Middle East tomorrow morning." Not much likelihood of THAT, huh? JIM? And -- had you heard that the US Secretary of Defense has lately announced that the "latest downsizing of the US Military" is now underway? JIM? JIM?) --

Grand Opening of FrontRunner South - YouTube

OKC Central Chat transcript, Sept. 5, 2014 | News OK
    What I didn't notice about this is the three other comments he made five days later:

Tom Elmore · Top Commenter · Researcher/Consultant at Self-Employed

See the video at the streetfilms.org link below.

Here's what Oklahoma's 14-year, 5th District Congressman was funding and supporting for the hometown of his church -- while he was funding the destruction of OKC's amazing, existing rail network from OKC Union Station.

Make no mistake that guys like Jim Couch and Mick Cornett ("most pro-transit mayor in the history of OKC," I was told by former Cornett assistant David Holt -- right before he threatened, presumably in the name of his boss -- to "sic a thousand cops on me" if I didn't quit protecting OKC Union Station's rail yard) -- who backed this robbery of our grandchildren of gifts that they, themselves, could never have given.

Streetfilms | Salt Lake City: A Red State Capital Builds Ambitious Transit

September 10 at 1:14pm

And then:

OKLAHOMANS TAKEN FOR A RIDE -- the case for the preservation and reuse of OKC Union Station's elegant, at-grade, 12-track-wide, 8-block-long rail passenger yard. Ignored and trampled by Jim Couch, Mick Cornett and their pals at ODOT.

Oklahomans Taken for a Ride - YouTube

September 10 at 1:20pm

And finally:

An explanation for the betrayal of all Oklahomans embodied in the unnecessary destruction of OKC Union Station's magnificent rail center?

Quite simple, actually.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...2F&h=_AQHfrZvy

September 10 at 1:27pm

Elmore doesn't know how to convey his message without pissing people off. As a result everyone tunes him out. I learned long ago that it doesn't matter how good your point may be, if you can't convince people it doesn't matter.

19. Default Re: Union Station

I'm really annoyed that this park is ignoring the Harvey Spine.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I'm really annoyed that this park is ignoring the Harvey Spine.
    Is it they actually ignore it, or is it they may actully be clueless as to the look, feel and purpose of having a spine?

21. Default Re: Union Station

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Is it they actually ignore it, or is it they may actully be clueless as to the look, feel and purpose of having a spine?
    Ya. I hear spinelessness is an incurable condition.

Things are still moving forward for the Arts Council to make this their new home.

I suspect it won't be official until after the Clayco deal is signed with OCURA (deal is still being finalized), after which things will likely move pretty quickly.

As part of their deal with OCURA, Clayco would help par for the relocation of the Arts Council and the other arts tenant which would go to the new Main Street Garage.

I found out some interesting information yesterday. Basically, this building can be "sold" to the City of OKC by COTPA as long as the funds generated go to enhance or expand transit facilities. Until that occurs, Union Station can only be used for transit purposes. Right now, it is simply the chief administrative offices for COTPA/EMBARK although the plans before the relocation of the Crosstown were much grander.

Previous plans did not address the technical challenges that the facility faced. Namely, trains traveling north and south would have been required to do a "back in" maneuver. The facility was never well suited for the type of system that is planned for today.

The FTA only recently clarified what COTPA can and can't do with this facility. So, the question remains as to where (who's budget) the money will come from to pay COTPA for the facility? And the other question will be what is an acceptable use of the funds to the FTA? Where will the money be invested?

Anyway, the facility potentially has a bright future since these federal mandated shackles can be unlocked. At a minimum, you could say that the FTA requirements on the building itself has helped preserve a historic piece of grand architecture.

In all honesty, Union Station's useful life for transportation purposes is not over. The station could eventually be returned to a rail transportation use for the Eastern Flyer, and/or if an E-W commuter rail line ever comes to fruition. ODOT left enough room around UP's tracks that at least one more pair of rails and a platform could be squeezed in down there - maybe even two. The platform tunnel would have to be rebuilt - or an at-grade walkway would have to be established - but it would certainly be doable.

With the city pushing hard to integrate Union Station into the Central Park plans, however... that train's most likely left the station. :P

Blog Entries

I thought the ability to receive trains had been removed. Also, seems adverse at this point to not have everything funnel through the inter-modal hub.

Thread Information