Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

World Market opened a store in Lubbock not too long ago and had no beer or wine section. Shortly thereafter, Lubbock County's liquor laws finally changed and World Market added the beer and wine.

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    World Market would be great, but I'm guessing you won't see one until the liquor laws are changed. The inability to sell wine cuts out about a 1/4 of that store's floor plan, and maybe even more in revenues (just a guess).
    I've been to a store in Dallas that didn't carry any.

Either way World Market would be a nice add to Norman and OKC metro for that matter if they come.

4. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I'd definitely go to World Market if they opened one here. Pretty neat place, that.

Wait a minute. They're trying to put a Crest in right across the street from Super Target? Am I the only one that thinks that's a stupid idea? Also, don't we have enough grocery stores in Norman already?

Wow, I didn't realize World Market had so many stores without wine sales; thanks for the corrections. I remember seeing one in Amarillo, Tx of all places, so I thought maybe liquor laws played a part in it - thought it was strange Amarillo got one before the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I'd definitely go to World Market if they opened one here. Pretty neat place, that.

Wait a minute. They're trying to put a Crest in right across the street from Super Target? Am I the only one that thinks that's a stupid idea? Also, don't we have enough grocery stores in Norman already?
    They're not trying, it's a done deal, and no it's not stupid, this is an excellent location/area for a Crest Store.

7. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Some more news in the Transcript today...

http://normantranscript.com/headline...or-Legacy-Park

Negotiations pave way for Legacy Park

By Joy HamptonThe Norman Transcript
    NORMAN — University North Park TIF Agreement No. 5 is close to being finalized.
    Norman City Council members were briefed on the details of the agreement Tuesday during the City Council Conference prior to the regular council meeting.
    Based on feedback from council members, city attorneys will tighten certain language regarding development requirements, but several formerly contentious points were negotiated in a compromise that serves the needs of the city and UNP developers.
    Agreement No. 5 should appear with some minor language changes on the April 24 city council agenda for approval.
    “This agreement does move the park forward and does provide funding for the park,” City Attorney Jeff Bryant said.
    Issues that needed to be resolved in order to move Legacy Park and development Agreement No. 5 forward include:
    · Donation of park land.
    · Potential penalties assessed to developers by Jan. 1, 2016, if 250,000 square foot of retail in the Village Center (formerly called the Lifestyle Center) has not transpired.
    · Parking around Legacy Park.
    · Maintenance of Legacy Park.
    · Construction funding for Legacy Park.
    Agreement No. 5 resolves those issue by delineating:
    · Donation of park land by deed and final plat.
    · A dedicated Legacy Park parking area west of Academy Sports to meet the parking needs.
    · A phased Business Improvement District to cover maintenance costs of the park.
    · Restructuring of the 2009 TIF Note (loan) to provide additional funding needed for the park’s construction.
    “This provides a funding source to move Legacy Park forward,” Bryant said of the note restructuring.
    While most of the money for the park was in place, additional money is needed. The note restructure with the OU Foundation will reduce the reserve requirements and allow the release of collateral in the form of accumulated TIF Revenues.
    In addition to donating the park land, the developer will still be required to fill the Village Center to the tune of 250,000 square feet but with a two-year extension. While no incentive will be given for bringing in Crest Foods as a flagship store, the 109,000-square-foot grocery will count as retail space against the penalty payments.
    “As business people, they’re just trying to manage their risk,” Bryant said.
    Agreement No. 3, in 2007, reversed the order of development and added the claw backs, or penalty payments, if the developer failed to meet the 250,000-square-foot retail space requirement in the Village Center by Jan. 1, 2016.
    But in 2008, the “wheels came off the economy,” Bryant said.
    Further, the developer agrees to donate an additional two acres for a cultural facility and will receive credit against the claw back penalties.
    “I think, at least, we should identify which two acres on that map we’re talking about,” Council member Carol Dillingham said.
    Bryant said a legal description will be supplied.
    Mayor Cindy Rosenthal said she wanted to be assured that the two acres wasn’t part of the detention pond.
    Concept modifications will allow parking along the front of stores in the Village Center as well as wider medians to accommodate public social activities. The original concept of a lifestyle center has shown not to be economically viable. The developer said that concept cannot be sold to retailers. The concept modifications will allow the developer to recruit quality retailers to the Village Center while making it an economically viable alternative.
    The developer will make an effort to bring an upscale, quality retail anchor store to the Village Center area.
    Joy Hampton 366-3539 jhampton@ normantranscript.com

9. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

So what kind of penalties are we looking at in 2016?

The deadline has been extended to 2018 Spartan.

11. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Ah, of course it has.

Still lame that UNP doesn't have a website.

Soonerman/Spartan: Yeah. I didn't see it mentioned in the Oklahoman's article, but the reason two council members voted against the Legacy Park agreement was because it pushed the timeline out two years and gave the developer relief on penalties.

ShiroiHikari: Haven't you heard, businesses in Norman that are direct competitors love to open up in one another's parking lot. See: Pei Wei/Panda Express, Matress FIRM/Mathis Sleep Center, Poblano Grill/Chuy's, and now Super Target/Crest....

14. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

They should have thrown the book at them.

Rather than post my rant against the developer and the city for constantly caving to the big guys but enforcing against the little guys to no end, I will simply say yes I agree whole-heartedly.

16. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

The problem with UNP is that because the OU Foundation is involved, the developers are clearly getting away with murder. I think they have preferential status. This is even more problematic because it is preventing the City of Norman from cutting its losses and moving on to enter into a more promising partnership that will deliver the development Norman needs to remain competitive with its sales tax base and provide for growth and quality of life. It's also unfortunate that the university alumni foundation is neglectful with its community investments.

This in addition to our combined previous rants

I got to ranting about UNP again pretty good here:

Whole Foods... Thread

...and once again it got me thinking about the place. What started the rant was someone who posted saying that representatives from Whole Foods came to Norman, looked around, and were underwhelmed. I got to looking at all the promises made about UNP over the years, with links to them in various Norman Transcript reports, and just found it incredibly maddening.

It was repeatedly billed as a place that would be on par with major developments in Dallas and Kansas City. Speeches were given that, from day one, the place would be of a quality much higher than anything currently present in Oklahoma... with grand arches, clock towers, massive landscaping, and interesting architecture. I think what angers me most about the development is the realization that it is on par with the Fritt's Farm development on 19th Street in Moore, or perhaps maybe not even as nice as that in some respects, and is below the quality level of some of the developments along Memorial in OKC and definitely below the quality level of several developments in Edmond. Even if you disagree with that comment due to personal taste, there is no way you can look at those developments and say that UNP is heads and shoulders far superior in design to all of them and everything else in this state. Every time I look at the development, I can't believe how far they missed the mark.

In one of the Transcript articles Boren says that he is personally going to help oversee the development, asking questions and demanding results. As soon as it was put on contract, from that point on I can't seem to find any more public comments from Boren on the matter ever again (except for one appearance to announce the Embassy Suites). I would really like to hear him comment on the development because I see no evidence of him being involved after selling the council on the idea. Our tax dollars have paid for a good portion of the development, and it doesn't look to me like we are getting what we were promised. I think he owes the council a public statement, if not an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Our tax dollars have paid for a good portion of the development, and it doesn't look to me like we are getting what we were promised. I think he owes the council a public statement, if not an appearance.
    Just think if those same tax dollars were spent converting downtown Norman streets to two-way, creating a quiet zone for the railroad, building a couple of 500 car parking garages, and some seed money to lure residential developers to downtown how much better off Norman would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Just think if those same tax dollars were spent converting downtown Norman streets to two-way, creating a quiet zone for the railroad, building a couple of 500 car parking garages, and some seed money to lure residential developers to downtown how much better off Norman would be.
    Your right, that money could have been wasted on main Street instead of 24th Ave. NW and Robinson.

20. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Your right, that money could have been wasted on main Street instead of 24th Ave. NW and Robinson.
    Do you take pride in being off base and on the wrong side of every single issue? Main Street is an infinitely better amenity than UNP. Main Street is awesome. UNP sucks.

What do you think Norman's tax dollars should go toward?? Public safety is already over-funded and even has a dedicated sales tax in Norman. There was a streets bond package already, they're finally redoing Lindsey. Seems like the basics are covered to me.

I think you just derive some kind of strange self worth from being on the wrong side of every single issue you post about.

Just what kind of residential development are you hoping for in downtown Norman? There is little, if any, open land to develop. There may still be some options for lofts in buildings but I don't think any new low or high rise apartments or condos would be beneficial to the the ambience that many hope for in downtown. The current near downtown residential areas, for the most part, are very walkable and pleasant.

One small sign for Crest ... one giant leap for making Homeland a tad more nervous.

Why would a 5 story apartment building in downtown Norman be out of the question? Why can’t an existing 1 or 2 story building can’t be razed to make way for such an apartment building? Why does downtown Norman, or any historic downtown, have to remain in a perpetual state of suspended development? Who decided downtown Norman shouldn't continue to develop and when did they decide this? Did the Norman City Council pass a resolution that said downtown has developed enough and all new development should occur elsewhere?

Why would a 5 story apartment building in downtown Norman be out of the question? Why can’t an existing 1 or 2 story building can’t be razed to make way for such an apartment building? Why does downtown Norman, or any historic downtown, have to remain in a perpetual state of suspended development? Who decided downtown Norman shouldn't continue to develop and when did they decide this? Did the Norman City Council pass a resolution that said downtown has developed enough and all new development should occur elsewhere?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is the that continued reuse or upgrades to existing structures would be preferred. That is not a perpetual state of suspended development. There is no place in the core of downtown Norman for anything like Deep Deuce if that's what you're thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There is no place in the core of downtown Norman for anything like Deep Deuce if that's what you're thinking about.
    Sure there is, they can build up. They can also redevelop the two shopping center just west of downtown. There are also tons of single family housing around downtown Norman that can be torn down and the density increased. If someone builds a house on a parcel nothing else can ever be built there?

Thread Information