Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Wow that is crazy. Complete loss with the complex basically completed. Whatever the fire and smoke did not destroy, the water definitely did.

Still smoldering this morning; as far as I could tell no surrounding buildings were damaged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Did the fire start at the Torchy’s?
    All reports are that it started on the roof.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Wood frame construction, the building should have fire sprinklers. My question is was the system in operational or was it down for some reason. Also what was the cause that allowed the fire to get a foot hold? Any penetrations through firewalls etc. that should not have been there? Lots of questions which hopefully will be answered in the future. The public might not see but will be published in fire service magazines.
    Fire suppression system wasn’t yet functional and the pipe stands weren’t operational. This wasn’t a completed building.

With Hvac equipment being installed and other things on the roof, there are multiple ways the fire could be started. And once petroleum based product is on fire, it’s very hard to extinguish with water.

One small bright spot, at least the winds were very light last night, might have made all the difference in preventing this from spreading to the surrounding buildings.

Were there no fire walls in the building. You would think with it being that big of a building there would of been sections where there were fire walls so a fire wouldn't spread or would of it not of matter since it was on the roof.

7. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Were there no fire walls in the building. You would think with it being that big of a building there would of been sections where there were fire walls so a fire wouldn't spread or would of it not of matter since it was on the roof.
    From what I heard on the news last night, the roof collapsed from the water weight, which caused the fire to spread rapidly. I don't think a fire wall would have helped much in this situation, unfortunately.

I don't think water sprinklers would have done anything even if they were on. The fire kept going until it burned up the entire roof.

Actually, fire proofing surrounding the lumber worked great. The roofing material was the weak link.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Did the fire start at the Torchy’s?
    What? LOL, no.

This building is light weight wood frame construction. Its allowed due to sprinkler system. If one will look at the history of these buildings, the outcome in not unusual. They are basically a vertical lumber yard. When they burn, they are a huge bon fire.

With it unfinished, many fire prevention/suppression systems were likely not fully functional yet, making this a tinder box. Otherwise these wood built complexes are very safe when complete. They'll get receive insurance money to get to where it was before yesterday and itll be completed in time. Just sucks for the wasted materials, time and effort.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Wood frame construction, the building should have fire sprinklers. My question is was the system in operational or was it down for some reason. Also what was the cause that allowed the fire to get a foot hold? Any penetrations through firewalls etc. that should not have been there? Lots of questions which hopefully will be answered in the future. The public might not see but will be published in fire service magazines.
    I'm sure it had sprinklers but since the place wasn't done/open yet, the system might not have been charged yet.

This does give them the opportunity to rethink the whole project. Maybe even change the design, add more height, different facade, etc. Trying to look on the bright side. With the run on construction goods, though, it's just mind-blowing thinking about all of that wasted material and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This does give them the opportunity to rethink the whole project. Maybe even change the design, add more height, different facade, etc. Trying to look on the bright side. With the run on construction goods, though, it's just mind-blowing thinking about all of that wasted material and effort.
    I am 175,000% sure they have insurance. So they won't be out money. But like you said, construction goods are either more expensive, or delayed.

But it does suck for the city. Not the city or FDs fault, just crappy timing and a bad situation.

Blog Entries

the project manager is definitely in the extra bad timeline

It really sucks for the Ellison Hotel which recently opened and was looking forward to that massive construction project just to the west being completed.

Now, the Canton site is a smoldering pile of debris and the entire site will be a mess for quite some time. Can't help the business of the hotel and its restaurant, Milo.

Reading back through the thread: Is Hines still the developer on this project? Do they have anything else going?

Reading back through the thread: Is Hines still the developer on this project? Do they have anything else going?
    Hines partnered with Humphreys Capital, which is an investment fund.

And no, other than severing as the development manager for Devon Tower and BOK Park Plaza in which they hold no ownership.

It was still smoking when I went by on I-44 at lunchtime today. I can't imagine how it looked yesterday but I was out of the loop on this until way late last night.

I thought the same thing. Wasn’t this originally designed with a street through the middle of it with retail on the ground level that kinda connected it to NH Plaza and the Classen curve (or at least made a slightly better pedestrian link between the two)? I feel like it went from something much more walkable to basically a massive square.

^

That was just a conceptual plan before Washington Prime sold the land to this development group.

I'd be surprised if they didn't build back exactly as previously planned. Hopefully, they can salvage the parking structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That was just a conceptual plan before Washington Prime sold the land to this development group.

I'd be surprised if they didn't build back exactly as previously planned. Hopefully, they can salvage the parking structure.
    Oh that’s right. I guess that was so long ago that I convinced myself it was an actual rendering of what was planned.

Just building it back as it was would be a win. Given the lack of new/modern/urban style apartments near there right now, I don’t think there’s too much risk that they’ll just take the insurance money, clear the site and walk away (honestly have no idea if that’s even an option but would be something I’d have concerns about if there were a ton of new, similar Apt options on the market nearby).

The housing market has only become much, much stronger since they purchased this land.

I expect they stick to same plan. Maybe change out some materials and few things different but mostly same because they can probably use existing permits and not have start completely over on the planning phases and permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hines partnered with Humphreys Capital, which is an investment fund.

And no, other than severing as the development manager for Devon Tower and BOK Park Plaza in which they hold no ownership.

I may be misinterpreting the question and response, but Hines is a pretty large operation with projects across the country/world, though I agree they don't have anything else local going on other than this and Devon-related projects.

Such a bummer all around. I have a friend and his wife coming in town Saturday and they're planning to stay at the Ellison. Though I'm sure their stay will be fine, sucked warning them last night that it might be a bit smoky and messy around the property during their stay.

Thread Information