Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Anthony Hospital

Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Some things aren't even about good urban planning or not...just good common sense. This is just not right regardless of your planning views. Seems like lazy execution. You should see how they dealt with it on some other new sidewalks with poles in the way. Just stupid.
    Unfortunately, "Common sense" is subjective. What we may see as common sense is nonsensical to someone else.

Here is a better one of that area:

3. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

I wonder if the same folks who are responsible for the sidewalk are also responsible for the atrocious street repairs where the utilities were installed a number of months ago…

HangryHippo Guest

How stupid. Especially when you look across the street and see that the lights were put in the small, grassy strip and not in the middle of the sidewalk.

Blog Entries

Seems like this could have been fixed by making this side like the other with a grass strip against the street (where the lights would then be) and the sidewalk pulled in a little. Plenty of room for that... sigh...

^

That's how it was before the construction... Sidewalks and lamp posts were already in. They tore up the old sidewalk and put in this new one around the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That's how it was before the construction... Sidewalks and lamp posts were already in. They tore up the old sidewalk and put in this new one around the lights.
    Not that it was designed the right way in the first place...

8. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

I'll bet money that the light fixtures are rated to only throw light a certain distance and that moving them 4-5 feet further from the roadway would have resulted in lighting not being up to required standards in the street. So, the choices (as far as PW was concerned) were to spec/buy new light poles (actually I think the poles are usually owned by OG+E, but still would have resulted in $$ spent) OR leave them be and pave around them. The results that you see make sense, from that engineering/cost perspective. They make zero sense from a pedestrian or just about any other perspective.

By the way, I'm simply not a fan of fixtures like that, which direct more light directly into the retina of the driver/walker than they cast onto surroundings. Drive down Automobile Alley (which has the same type of lights) at night, then drive down Film Row, and tell me which feels/looks better (ignoring which district has the best development). Film Row has the modern fixtures used throughout Project 180, and they light the sidewalks and streets rather than blasting the eyeballs of people traveling down the street. Big difference.

9. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

From Steve's live chat with Jim Couch:

10:22
    Comment From Nick
    Good morning, Steve and Mr. Couch. Can someone shed some light on why the light poles outside St. Anthony Hospital's new parking lot were placed right in the middle of the sidewalk?

10:22
    Steve Lackmeyer: JIM: I'm not familiar with the situation but we can look into it.

10. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

wut

I was wrong. Must have been something else in the photo that made it look like they added a small curved path around the light pole.

This is even worse than I was imagining.

Exactly what I thought.

14. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I was wrong. Must have been something else in the photo that made it look like they added a small curved path around the light pole.

This is even worse than I was imagining.
    You're not wrong. I ran on this sidewalk today. The light pole in the picture has been there. That is not the new sidewalk. The new side walk further south does curve around the light pole. Regardless, still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    You're not wrong. I ran on this sidewalk today. The light pole in the picture has been there. That is not the new sidewalk. The new side walk further south does curve around the light pole. Regardless, still bad.
    Ah okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Yes still no excuse.

16. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Please tell me that little tab that juts out to the curb doesn't exist simply to sidestep ADA requirements (no pun intended).

17. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Yeah and I'm wondering if the corners might be cutting it a little too close, or if they engineered the little concrete tablet to perfectly sidestep ADA but also make certain someone in a WHEELCHAIR can not get through.

I know there's a lot of groans with ADA and it is a little unnecessary in some cases, but we're not talking about requiring an elevator in a 3-story apartment building. We're talking about a sidewalk in an area surrounded by a hospital, assisted living homes, medical offices, and other public services that healthy people probably don't even think about. This is a case where it really is a moral imperative that you don't just follow the letter of the law, but also the spirit of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Please tell me that little tab that juts out to the curb exists simply to sidestep ADA requirements (no pun intended).
    Probably is. The cost to make that tab a little bit bigger would have been minuscule compared to going back and doing it right.

19. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Oops. I meant please tell me it DOESN'T exist for that purpose (edit made), but I suspect it probably does. If so it would be a great way to illustrate the "spirit of the law" vs the "letter of the law."

20. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

LOL hadn't read the posts after mine and just saw that Spartan made the same point.

21. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Probably is. The cost to make that tab a little bit bigger would have been minuscule compared to going back and doing it right.
    Yeah, like I mentioned before, the cost of doing it right probably would have had to include changing the light posts, because simply making them further from the street probably would have taken them outside of their acceptable working parameters. They probably would have had to switch the existing nearly-brand-new poles for taller, brighter ones or (more likely) ones with arms. Which in addition to expense would have required applications, approvals, etc.. So instead, some quick-thinker said "I've got it! We'll just extend the sidewalk out around the posts!" And the more recent work just carried on the same theme but made it nicer.
    Last edited by Urbanized; 02-23-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fixed iPad auto-correct that turned "making" into "mocking," though upon further review "mocking" might be more appropriate.

22. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

Why would we need to move lights? Just place the sidewalk back from the street and leave a grass strip containing the light poles...just like it is across the street!!!

Duh. If someone was thinking prior to setting forms, there would have been no added cost.

23. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

I agree. Lights should not have to be moved. Sidewalk should not have been moved street side. Problem is that this doesn't appear to fit St. Anthony's landscape plan. Or something.

24. Default Re: Saint Anthony Expansion

I was told some dissapointing news today. Not sure if you guys are aware that St Anthony is in a money crunch right now... so to save money they decide to take out a lot of the glass that's going to be on the pavilion. The newer design is not as impressive.

Seriously?

Thread Information