Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: SH 74 Widening

Default Re: SH 74 Widening

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Again, the northern widened section of Hwy 74 is concrete...in a lesser traveled area... Why on earth would they change over to asphalt?

Most likely it's a base layer. Side roads will probably be asphalt but I'd like to see them laying the strips of green rebar down before adding the concrete.

Time to email ODOT again...
    Pretty sure it's asphalt. The north bound land looks to be finished and it is asphalt up to the existing concrete and is now level with it which would mean it's going to be asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Pretty sure it's asphalt. The north bound land looks to be finished and it is asphalt up to the existing concrete and is now level with it which would mean it's going to be asphalt.
    Agreed, I drove by this today. The whole thing is asphalt. Only the curbs and bridge structure is concrete.

The only reason I-40 is concrete is because the federal government paid for most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Yes asphalt is a lot cheaper than concrete. Asphalt is preferred in more hot environments due to it's ability to be more easily repaired and it's flexibility. Concrete can buckle massively in heat, not to say asphalt can't but it has more give -- hence ruts from trucks over time, etc. When done correctly, asphalt is easier to maintain in the long run as you can do continuous mill-and-overlays if you have a good aggregate base. Only maintenance on concrete is to actually cut out a concrete section then pour and set but you get a lot of those in an area and you have nasty patches -- which you may remember toward the end was pretty much what the I-40 crosstown was, just a bunch of bumpy patchwork. Once you start repairs on a stretch of concrete road you'll never have that continuity of smoothness until it's just all torn out and redone. But it's no secret that concrete lasts longer. Heaven forbid you see concrete holes patched with asphalt! I've seen that before and that's not a good thing. I
    Agree on all counts. And I will add that concrete does not hold up well in a climate with a lot of freeze/thaw issues like Oklahoma, nor does it do well on roads that are plowed.

Asphalt paving has become much more advanced as of late; they are not just throwing down a layer of tar anymore. An any asphalt road can last long with proper maintenance; I have been surprised how well the stretch of 35 through Moore and Norman has held up.

I-240 between 1-35 and 1-44 is an example of asphalt done right. It has been down for a number of years now and is still nice and smooth.

5. Default Re: SH 74 Widening

Drive west on I40 from I44 and then tell me that concrete is the perfect paving material. In the Miata I have to carefully miss the cracks and holes in the concrete.

drove on this northbound over the weekend and it's nice, but why does it narrow back down to two lanes north of 164th? seems like they'd keep it 4 lanes until 178th.

The 164 to 206th is a separate project that should be put to bid soon if I remember right to finish the grand scheme of this project to make it the 4 lanes all the way to Waterloo.

I wish they would take down the construction speed limit signs

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    The 164 to 206th is a separate project that should be put to bid soon if I remember right to finish the grand scheme of this project to make it the 4 lanes all the way to Waterloo.
    Correct. I believe it is scheduled to bid early 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I wish they would take down the construction speed limit signs
    They did today! 55mph now

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    They did today! 55mph now
    Just noticed that!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Drive west on I40 from I44 and then tell me that concrete is the perfect paving material. In the Miata I have to carefully miss the cracks and holes in the concrete.
    Other than the outside westbound lane, that is all original pavement laid in the 1960's. Given the large amount of semi traffic on 40, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Not denying it desperately needs to be replaced, but if it has originally been asphalt, it would have been resurfaced at least twice in that time,

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Other than the outside westbound lane, that is all original pavement laid in the 1960's. Given the large amount of semi traffic on 40, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Not denying it desperately needs to be replaced, but if it has originally been asphalt, it would have been resurfaced at least twice in that time,
    +1

Now open though it seems like 65MPH would be a more appropriate speed limit but perhaps they are waiting until the rest is widened to 4 lanes.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/SH-74_expansion_project.html

I guess better than nothing, but I'd much rather see it be limited access.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Couldn't agree more. In a perfect world(in this case Texas) they'd be securing row and having a new freeway loop around Edmond u/c by 2020, but this is ODOT :/

29 million? My god. Roads are the biggest waste of money pretty much ever.

Construction signs just went up on 74, leading to where the Northbound lanes narrow down to a single lane. Does anyone know if this is phase two of the widening project or something else? The signs say the construction is for six miles, which sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Construction signs just went up on 74, leading to where the Northbound lanes narrow down to a single lane. Does anyone know if this is phase two of the widening project or something else? The signs say the construction is for six miles, which sounds about right.
    It is Phase 2 (from 164th to Covell) but I am puzzled why it says 6 miles. 1/2 mile either end added on would only total 4 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    without roads the economy would grind to a halt. The interstate highway system is what helped the U.S. become an economic powerhouse and we must continue with upgrading and creating new roads. you gotta move all those goods and people efficiently

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    OK, what does "limited access" mean?

Using on- and off-ramps like they did on 150th rather than stoplights like they did on 164th would
    Be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    I would agree that the bidding process and how certain contractors win certain jobs and negotiate for great profits with ODOT is something which could do with some looking in to. That said, when I see announcements like this, I have to chuckle any time I hear someone bristling at Amtrack receiving state and federal subsidy.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    OK, what does "limited access" mean?
    Interchanges only at select locations, like the turnpikes or interstate highways in rural areas, where interchanges or access points are spaced more than a mile apart. also know as controlled access.

Thread Information