Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: May 20, 2013 Tornado: News & Information

Default Re: May 20, 2013 Tornado: News & Information

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That is really awesome. You can see how random tornadoes really are. Look at how it basically goes around Warren Theatre to the north and then cuts back down in front of it. Amazing.

Google has such cool products for free.
    This is probably of little solace to current victims, but I always try to count my blessings. Looking at that map makes me think this could have been much worse than it was. I didn't realize how much concentrated development is north of S 134th. A tornado track at least mile north and this could have gotten much uglier, which is hard to even imagine.

There has been a 91% decrease in the estimated number of homes damaged or destroyed according to the AP, from 13,000 to 1,200. Link: | News OK

MOORE (AP) — Authorities have clarified and significantly downgraded the number of homes damaged or destroyed in this week's tornado in an Oklahoma City suburb.

Oklahoma City Police Department spokesman Dexter Nelson said Thursday that the most recent count indicates that 1,200 homes in the city and the suburb of Moore were affected by Monday's storm.

The mayor of Oklahoma City announced at a news conference Wednesday that as many as 13,000 homes had been destroyed or damaged. There was no immediate explanation for the differing estimates.

Not sure if this has been posted yet. This is pretty interesting and graphically shows the power and destructive force of an EF5 tornado. ESRI has built a mapping application that enables users to compare aerial photos of Moore both before and after the tornado.

20MAY2013 Moore Tornado Damage Swipe Link:
    http://tmappsevents.esri.com/website/swipe_moore/

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    There has been a 91% decrease in the estimated number of homes damaged or destroyed according to the AP, from 13,000 to 1,200. Link: | News OK

MOORE (AP) — Authorities have clarified and significantly downgraded the number of homes damaged or destroyed in this week's tornado in an Oklahoma City suburb.

Oklahoma City Police Department spokesman Dexter Nelson said Thursday that the most recent count indicates that 1,200 homes in the city and the suburb of Moore were affected by Monday's storm.

The mayor of Oklahoma City announced at a news conference Wednesday that as many as 13,000 homes had been destroyed or damaged. There was no immediate explanation for the differing estimates.
    It was corrected to 12,000.
    Oklahoma City police correct Moore tornado damage estimate to 12K homes | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post

I'm confused.

The link says "At a news conference on Thursday, police spokesman Dexter Nelson misspoke when he said there were 1,200 homes damaged or destroyed by Monday's storm.

The department later released a statement confirming the error, saying their current estimate was 12,000."

It appears the article has been updated with more accurate information.

@Kenny_Mossman: Apparently Bob Stoops showed up at a site and blended in for about 30 min before they figured it out

9. Default Re: May 20, 2013 Tornado: News & Information

I was right around the corner!

Oz storm shelters can survive a direct hit from an EF-5 tornado, now that is awesome!!!!!!!

http://www.news9.com/story/22441328/...od-the-tornado

http://www.ozsaferooms.com

11. Default Re: May 20, 2013 Tornado: News & Information

Good to see those survived. Researching them looks like the cost is $8-10k - so might still be pretty tight for some unless FEMA increases the grant amounts.

Default Re: Tornado Destruction Thread - May 20, 2013

Well click my heels 3X and color me impressed. Seriously impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Good to see those survived. Researching them looks like the cost is $8-10k - so might still be pretty tight for some unless FEMA increases the grant amounts.
    I just wonder what would happen if an EF-5 hurled an 18,000 pound semi-truck at one, if it would survive it. This is still amazingly impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    @Kenny_Mossman: Apparently Bob Stoops showed up at a site and blended in for about 30 min before they figured it out
    Was that today? Noticed a gazillion cars parked in front of Stoop's house this evening, thought maybe something like this was up.

15. Default Re: May 20, 2013 Tornado: News & Information

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I just wonder what would happen if an EF-5 hurled an 18,000 pound semi-truck at one, if it would survive it. This is still amazingly impressive!
    Ehhh...don't live near highways or trucking companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Was that today? Noticed a gazillion cars parked in front of Stoop's house this evening, thought maybe something like this was up.
    It may have been yesterday, but I’m not really sure?

19. Default Re: May 20, 2013 Tornado: News & Information

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Love the technology used with that too. Syncing the pictures, twitter feeds, documents and all on the right side with what you're reading on the left side is a great leap forward in web technology. Have read about it, but this is the first time I've seen it used. HTML5?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post

He is a super human being, even though he's a jerk to members of the media at times. He still visits kids at the hospitals all the time.

Thread Information