Widgets Magazine
Page 69 of 217 FirstFirst ... 196465666768697071727374119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Could the next arena be built on the big parking lots between Bricktown and Deep Deuce? Just thinking out loud... Not sure that's a plausible space...
    I would think the new one would probably go in the C2S area if it is built out enough at that time. Or possibly along the river.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Could the next arena be built on the big parking lots between Bricktown and Deep Deuce? Just thinking out loud... Not sure that's a plausible space...
    I would hope not, as by that time rail lines to Tulsa and Midwest City would be on those tracks.

The next arena needs to not be in the middle of downtown…East of Shield South of the Boulevard. We can move the substation for the arena!

4. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Which explains why everyone wonders about it. LOL
    jk, Spartan
    Well done

I might be a minority voice here (bazinga) but I think the arena is sited perfectly. There is a synergy between Thunder Alley and Bricktown on game days. The arena also helps to draw people toward the MBG and, in the near future, the new Union Park. I actually hope it's rebuilt in its current location, but certainly no further than the substation site.

Way off topic. We need to start a Durant Arena thread.

The Cox site is perfect for a signature building for OKC. A Gehry design or a building with a unique top and lighting. Something that defines the city's image.

Blog Entries

When the time comes to replace The Peake; build a new (20,000-seat) arena in that vicinity, downside the Chesapeake Energy Arena (17,500-seats) to tie in with the new convention center-hotel complex. The current Cox Convention Center (Old Myriad) could be used for the CBD as
    suggested by Hot Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Save for his resigning date.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    I might be a minority voice here (bazinga) but I think the arena is sited perfectly. There is a synergy between Thunder Alley and Bricktown on game days. The arena also helps to draw people toward the MBG and, in the near future, the new Union Park. I actually hope it's rebuilt in its current location, but certainly no further than the substation site.

+1

9. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    The next arena needs to not be in the middle of downtown…East of Shield South of the Boulevard. We can move the substation for the arena!
    here, here
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The Oklahoma City Council voted Tuesday to approve a request for proposals for a hotel serving the MAPS 3 Convention Center. The move allows City staff to solicit proposals from hotel operators interested in the project. The proposed hotel would likely be among the largest hotels in the city, and would primarily serve large groups of visitors in need of full-service hotel amenities when attending events at the Convention Center. The Council also voted to approve an agreement with Public Financial Management, Inc., to explore possible financing options for the hotel.

As a reminder, a new TIF district is being planned to help pay for the City's costs. It has been estimated at least $50 million in public assistance will be required.

From Cathy O'Connor's presentation to the Council:

• The RFP seeks proposals from hotel developers and hotel management firms to partner with the city on the project
    • Responses are due in early March and the City expects to shortlist qualified firms to conduct further due diligence
    • Responses will include indications of private sector financing and initial project pro forma
    • Shortlisted parties will be invited to submit detailed proposals for evaluation
    • The City has formed a selection committee to review proposals and make recommendations to the City Council
    • PFM and Capital Hotel Management will act as advisors to the City and the Alliance in the procurement process
    • The objective of the procurement process is select a finalist(s) by the 3rd overall convention center project
    • City Council approval will be required prior to entering into any specific agreements with either the hotel developer or management firm

From the notes from today's meeting, here is the YouTube video time keyed to the discussion and the short PDF of the presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Oklahoma City Council voted Tuesday to approve a request for proposals for a hotel serving the MAPS 3 Convention Center. The move allows City staff to solicit proposals from hotel operators interested in the project. The proposed hotel would likely be among the largest hotels in the city, and would primarily serve large groups of visitors in need of full-service hotel amenities when attending events at the Convention Center. The Council also voted to approve an agreement with Public Financial Management, Inc., to explore possible financing options for the hotel.

As a reminder, a new TIF district is being planned to help pay for the City's costs. It has been estimated at least $50 million in public assistance will be required.

From Cathy O'Connor's presentation to the Council:

• The RFP seeks proposals from hotel developers and hotel management firms to partner with the city on the project
    • Responses are due in early March and the City expects to shortlist qualified firms to conduct further due diligence
    • Responses will include indications of private sector financing and initial project pro forma
    • Shortlisted parties will be invited to submit detailed proposals for evaluation
    • The City has formed a selection committee to review proposals and make recommendations to the City Council
    • PFM and Capital Hotel Management will act as advisors to the City and the Alliance in the procurement process
    • The objective of the procurement process is select a finalist(s) by the 3rd overall convention center project
    • City Council approval will be required prior to entering into any specific agreements with either the hotel developer or management firm

Wow things are really coming together in OKC now!
    Any word on how many rooms the hotel will likely have?

Couple of questions for you all. What is the expected date to begin and end construction for his Convention Center? When will we see the final designs from the architect and what it will look like? Also, will the CC and CC Hotel be built simultaneously? I am actually getting excited about his as long as they don't cheap out and scale this thing down. It needs to be impressive because we have lost over a billion dollars in lost conventions since 2007. Why keep losing all this revenue that could be going into the OKC economy? It will create jobs both during construction and after it is complete. What are they waiting for? Lets get this thing going with an impressive hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    Couple of questions for you all. What is the expected date to begin and end construction for his Convention Center? When will we see the final designs from the architect and what it will look like? Also, will the CC and CC Hotel be built simultaneously? I am actually getting excited about his as long as they don't cheap out and scale this thing down. It needs to be impressive because we have lost over a billion dollars in lost conventions since 2007. Why keep losing all this revenue that could be going into the OKC economy? It will create jobs both during construction and after it is complete. What are they waiting for? Lets get this thing going with an impressive hotel!
    How do you figure the amount of lost revenue?

I saw it from a previous post from a couple years ago on this thread. Some city council member keeps track of and has a list of all the reasons for not landing certain conventions. For the ones who declined because of lack of space and hotel, he estimated that we have lost over a billion dollars since 2007 into the OKC economy. That was a few years ago so I am sure at this point it well exceeds a billion dollars. If we are losing out on money to further stimulate the economy, and increased costs for every year we wait to build, why are they moving like they are stuck in cement? That answers your question, now can you or anyone else answer mine?

Can someone answer when this thing is going to be built? Start time and completion date would be great. I think every day that passes will be more money lost to the OKC economy.

Have you not been paying attention? They've been doing land acquisition for some time and design work is underway. You do understand that MAPS is pay as you go and it will take a little time to collect the needed funds?

If anything the CC has been moved up in schedule, largely at the expense of other projects. You can search this thread if you want to know more detailed info.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Have you not been paying attention? They've been doing land acquisition for some time and design work is underway. You do understand that MAPS is pay as you go and it will take a little time to collect the needed funds?

If anything the CC has been moved up in schedule, largely at the expense of other projects. You can search this thread if you want to know more detailed info.
    Hey, I was just asking a question because things change. You don't need to scold me for asking when this is due to begin construction. Their are a lot of pages on this thread so forgive me if I don't want to go back and do that and found it easier to just ask someone who could answer. Is it really that big of a bother to you that you feel you had to respond that way?

Blog Entries

We need to get the big expensive projects started ASAP because the costs will escalate. We want a convention center, whitewater rapids, street car transit where we don't have to make cuts. The downtown park can have amenities added upon its completion.

The MAPS pay as you collect formula does keep the city's momentum in stride along with debt-free projects.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    Can someone answer when this thing is going to be built? Start time and completion date would be great. I think every day that passes will be more money lost to the OKC economy.
    They will likely finish land acquisition, via a friendly suit to determine land pricing, this year. I think they have already been making decisions on size and design. I've pretty much stopped paying attention to its process. It will happen when it happens, but that shouldn't be all that much longer.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I honestly can't believe so many of you are already talking about a new arena to replace the Peake.
    It's not an old facility, by any means (twelve years). On top of that, you just renovated it and expanded the total facility space to the tune of $85 million or so (not including the practice facility). And it's nice and modern (well, at least part of it is) and honestly not bad looking to the common eye.

I just say this as a caution because some cities become trigger happy when it comes to demo'ing and replacing perfectly fine arenas. While I am not claiming to be an expert, I do not see any reason why we should be even mentioning this now. This is a discussion to be had in ten years, and only then to begin preliminary talks about how to renovate/replace in a matter of years from then.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud here, but I honestly can't believe so many of you are already talking about a new arena to replace the Peake.
    It's not an old facility, by any means (twelve years). On top of that, you just renovated it and expanded the total facility space to the tune of $85 million or so (not including the practice facility). And it's nice and modern (well, at least part of it is) and honestly not bad looking to the common eye.

I just say this as a caution because some cities become trigger happy when it comes to demo'ing and replacing perfectly fine arenas. While I am not claiming to be an expert, I do not see any reason why we should be even mentioning this now. This is a discussion to be had in ten years, and only then to begin preliminary talks about how to renovate/replace in a matter of years from then.
    Agree 100%. While some cities have much more attractive arenas than the Peake, many do not and there are some arenas much, much older still in full use. Madison Square Garden was opened in 1968 and it's still in use. While some cities like Charlotte have demolished suburban arenas and replaced them with downtown arenas (amid much controversy), OKC is fortunate to already have an up to date, downtown arena. The city should definitely not be getting trigger happy to replace it in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I have seen the future - OKC will not be replacing The Peake. Sooner or later economic reality is going to kick in.

We need this area to have the "Pop" while on screen. It needs to scream Vibrant & a place of destination. No it's not South Beach, but it needs to look like the entire area around The Peake is the place you would like to put on your Weekend Getaway for the next year. Or the next place you would like to go on a Business trip kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I have seen the future - OKC will not be replacing The Peake. Sooner or later economic reality is going to kick in.
    I agree with you DT! As for JusttheFacts, you are a being a Debbie Downer, come on man stop that thinking. Hope for the best of OKC and let it be grand. I do know what you mean though as I have been there far too many times and get frustrated at how OKC does things on the cheap far too often and goes by the motto that OKC is just OK.

Thread Information