Widgets Magazine
Page 68 of 217 FirstFirst ... 186364656667686970717273118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Center

The $30 million that went into the contingency fund was what Mayor Mick Cornett was vehemently lobbying to set aside for the OG&E substation removal.

I felt all along that the money in the contingency fund should have gone to the Convention Center since this was tied to the proposed original site.

As far as a convention center anchor hotel(s), I feel the city has plans that they have not revealed or at liberty to discuss at this time for the cc (something's in the pot). Agreement with HotRod, they could use a higher & lower brand combination for the convention center complex.

I just don't see a mega 700-plus room hotel at the convention center under one flag without some kind of financial incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is another view looking north; the yellow area to the left is the portion of the expanded Exhibit Hall that would be located under Hudson:

World's largest tornado shelter? lolz At least its in the right place. I can hear poor Mike Morgan now. Head to the downtown shelter now! Lines of cars trying to get into the Boulevard garage.... Wow! Now we know why the Boulevard is designed that way!

3. Default Re: Convention Center

I'm not sure that any roadway could ever achieve a decent Level of Service during a Mike Morgan tornado panic..not even an ODOT-designed one.

When is construction supposed to Start on the Convention Center?

April 2016. To be finished by early 2019.

6. Default Re: Convention Center

This is what Nashville is doing with their old convention center site.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Is there a larger version of this pic? Looks cool but hard to tell. Maybe I need glasses.

Blog Entries

That would be great across from the MG. What I especially like is the sight lines to the MG would go back to the east half of the development with progressively taller buildings.

Let's find a developer and make it happen in OKC Spartan.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Is there a larger version of this pic? Looks cool but hard to tell. Maybe I need glasses.
    I was (well, Google was) able to find a larger copy of it linked from here.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilde.jpg 
Views:	1650 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	9463  

Blog Entries

Nashville:

The 'Music City' is on track with their convention center/hotel complex development.

Actually, that rendering is from REI, the lowest scored responder. The winner , designed by Gresham-Smith Partners doesn't look nearly as nice.

13. Default Re: Convention Center

It looks like they chose the proposal that maintains the superblock, which would seem bad, but this $230M development also includes the National Museum of African American Music, which not sure if the aforementioned proposal did or did not. Interesting that this one, despite maintaining the former convention center superblock, provides more distinctive siting for what I assume is the Museum of AA Music...

This feels like somebody used Photoshop to drop a streetview crop from Charlotte into a Nashville setting.

It may turn out great but it just looks weird.

15. Default Re: Convention Center

Yea. It's trying too hard to be cool.

I don't have a degree in design, but does this look cohesive? It seems to be a bunch of ideas all meshed together. To each his own, but I just don't get it. I see the parallels in the cantilevered parts, but just not working for me.

17. Default Re: Convention Center

Everything but the black structure in the back looks cohesive to me.

Everything but the black structure in the back looks cohesive to me.
    Which explains why everyone wonders about it. LOL
    jk, Spartan

The current proposal for Nashville's former convention center is pictured below. The rendering above is from Emory's preliminary bid design. Few of the Nashville built environment junkies loved it and I'm surprised it won over most of the other bids. Thankfully, Emory teamed up with developer OliverMcMillian and the new Gensler design below was recently unveiled. The development will include a residential tower, a office tower, high-end retail topped with "creative offices," and the National Museum of African-American Music opening up to the Lower Broadway entertainment district.

The photos for the Nashville's convention center from the last few pages were mostly images of the former convention center that will be redeveloped or the Gaylord Opryland complex in suburban Nashville. The new Music City Center is pictured below. It has sparked a great deal of development in it's vicinity, but was initially unable to lure some of the larger conventions it was built to attract because of lack of hotel rooms nearby. That will swiftly change as there have been a flurry of hotel proposals around Nashville's core in the recent months. The Turnberry two-tower development pictured below the MCC images are one of the new hotel proposals that was unveiled this week and slated to start next summer. It will include a hotel and office tower and sit just to the left of the MCC in the second photo below where the beige and red brick vintage buildings are located. There is also a 27-story Westin starting next month just to the left of the roundabout in the same image.

I don't think any of the Nashville urban enthusiasts had even seen the rendering for the large hotel proposal before Lazio85 posted it here. I'm not sure if that's a current proposal or an earlier proposal for that site.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City does need to keep in mind that you want to have a convention center that provides for flexibility. It was a good move to place the convention center complex next to the Chesapeake Energy Arena; this will allow us to incorporate the arena with the convention center.

Now 'The Peake' is an aging facility. It will be a matter of time before we have to replace 'The Peake' with a new NBA style arena; that's where the Cox Convention Center comes into play; that parcel will be ripe when it become time to construct a new venue that serves many functions.

21. Default Re: Convention Center

we wont need the full cox site though (which is 4 square blocks).

I say, let the CBD expand into the Cox site and let's build or rebuild the Peake at its current location OR on the other side of the CC (I think Walker Ave. is it?). Even better yet, we could build the replacement on the other side of the blvd from its current location (NE corner of Robinson/Blvd or 3rd) and allow hotels to occupy the Peake's current spot. I actually like this idea as it would give even more hotels 'connected' to the new CC (more or less expanding the convention 'district') and further expand the CBD while still letting the new arena be at the same intersection as the CC and Union Park.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I know it was never going to happen, but the "rose rock" shaped convention center that was shown in the Skyline Ink conceptual video a few years back would be cool.

EDIT:

Here are some screen shots from said video.

Side view

Here is the video: http://vimeo.com/1430974

23. Default Re: Convention Center

Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Could the next arena be built on the big parking lots between Bricktown and Deep Deuce? Just thinking out loud... Not sure that's a plausible space...

Thread Information