Widgets Magazine
Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 176263646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1706

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

I wonder if Scheel's is considering Penn Square after they finish and open their Woodland Hills store. That would be a great addition. They could do what they did at Woodland Hills and tear down the vacant department store. If Macys closes, it would be a perfect opportunity.

I think Sooner Mall would be a more viable option. i think the sears is still vacant

The Scheel's in The Colony in north Texas is free standing and awesome. The Half would be an awesome place for a stand alone Scheels, next to Andretti. Scheel's is very close to Andretti there in Colony. Wherever it may be if we do get one, OKC will be in for a huge treat.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    I think Sooner Mall would be a more viable option. i think the sears is still vacant
    That would be a huge shot in the arm for Norman which has been left out of a lot of the new retail expansion in the metro

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    That would be a huge shot in the arm for Norman which has been left out of a lot of the new retail expansion in the metro
    University North Park generates the most visits of any retail development in the state and by a large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    University North Park generates the most visits of any retail development in the state and by a large margin.
    Specifically talking about new-to-market stores

I think the numbers for University North Park/Town Center can be off the charts and it still be accurate to say that there’s not much new retail expansion going on in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Specifically talking about new-to-market stores
    That is not a reasonable expectation.

Why on earth would stores come first to Norman over OKC?

We were in University North Park yesterday. This area is booming. Seems like every time we visit, there is a new store or restaurant under construction. Not too mention all the new housing. There is about to be another $1B pumped into this area once the new arena is approved.

Because UNP generates the most visits of any retail development in the state by a large margin lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Because UNP generates the most visits of any retail development in the state by a large margin lol.
    It isn’t necessarily just volume, but demographics matters too.

This isn't even a remotely fair comparison to say Penn Square. The developed retail section of UNP is 1 mile north to south currently and a bit over 3,000 feet wide east to west.

If you drew the same boundary 1 mile long from Penn & NW Expwy intersection along the retail corridor NE you'd be able to group in Penn Isle & Classen Curve and almost get up to the Whole Foods & Trader Joe's center. If you compiled all the visits to those centers it would blow UNP out of the water. You have to compare similar areas first for the stat to have any meaning.

UNP draws a lot for a Power Center and is certainly the top power center in the state in terms of visitors but it is not more highly trafficked than a similar sized area around Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    I wonder if Scheel's is considering Penn Square after they finish and open their Woodland Hills store. That would be a great addition. They could do what they did at Woodland Hills and tear down the vacant department store. If Macys closes, it would be a perfect opportunity.
    Scheel's don't tend to locate/attach to malls - Woodland Hills in Tulsa was kind of a more unique location for what they typically build of these new mega stores. It would fit more likely in Chisholm Creek given Cabela's, TopGolf, etc. next door. Penn Square doesn't have the parcel size needed for a store the size of the one in Tulsa being built - that Sears parcel there just happened to be abnormally long/not super wide and they were able to get the footprint in there. Penn parcels would be a hard fit for them. Quail Springs would be more likely of a location too than Penn if they wanted a mall location to snag an empty anchor parcel. Just for reference the one in Tulsa being built is about 550' length wise and a bit over 300' width wise. So say the Macy's parcel if you took it out length wise 500+ feet you'd take out the service road and be nearly all the way to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanistPoke View Post
    This isn't even a remotely fair comparison to say Penn Square. The developed retail section of UNP is 1 mile north to south currently and a bit over 3,000 feet wide east to west.
    I wasn't comparing the two, I was responding to a post that stated Norman had been left out of the retail expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanistPoke View Post
    I wasn't comparing the two, I was responding to a post that stated Norman had been left out of the retail expansion -- which is why I quoted it in. my post.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Pete, but do you have any information as to why World Market went to Norman and not OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, Pete, but do you have any information as to why World Market went to Norman and not OKC?
    No idea. Home Goods also came to Norman first, so it does happen, but rarely and for the good reason that the OKC area has much more people from which to draw.

No idea. Home Goods also came to Norman first, so it does happen, but rarely and for the good reason that the OKC area has much more people from which to draw.
    It still baffles me that World Market and HomeGoods have not opened stores in OKC. Both would be extremely popular.

It still baffles me that World Market and HomeGoods have not opened stores in OKC. Both would be extremely popular.
    They prefer the suburbs -- was definitely the case in California as I lived in Thousand Oaks and we had both very early on.

World Market expansion was slowed because of issues with Bed Bath & Beyond. Not sure if they will open many more locations or not now that it has a new ownership group.

I think one major factor that hurts OKC in the long run of landing new businesses compared to a place like Tulsa, Wichita, or other smaller metros is outside developers not understanding our population density.

Both Tulsa and Wichita,KS have essentially double the density compared to OKC. So if you are a new business, you can essentially build two or three stores and cover the market, or even if you build just one, you can pull in people from all directions.

UNP in Norman is a great retail corridor, but if you live north of I-40 or the Kilpatrick the chances of you driving all the way down to Norman often are slim. The same goes for the north side or the west side/Yukon corridors of shopping, retail, and dining. I live in far NWOKC, and its rare I make a casual retail/dining outing to the Outlet Shops or Moore/Norman area, if I do, it's a 45 minute trip one way.

I think that is what makes the Penn Square corridor so desirable, is that it is closer to the core of the city, and can pull in from all directions with reasonable drive given the highway access in all directions.

Has OKC landed better retail and dining in the last decade? Absolutely! But, I think the overall population density has hurt us from an outsider perspective, along with low costs of living. A developer's spreadsheet can be easily skewed when looking purely at numbers on where to build next.

Further strangely enough there is a HomeGoods in Stillwater. Strange because it's the only HomeGoods store in Oklahoma not in a metro area. There's one in far south Tulsa.

Maybe HomeGoods is very fussy about its new locations being just right. Stillwater didn't get a Harbor Freight store about to open until Staples closed and became available for it. But for OKC with so many different places available, it shouldn't be too hard for HomeGoods to fine one suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Further strangely enough there is a HomeGoods in Stillwater. Strange because it's the only HomeGoods store in Oklahoma not in a metro area. There's one in far south Tulsa.

Maybe HomeGoods is very fussy about its new locations being just right. Stillwater didn't get a Harbor Freight store about to open until Staples closed and became available for it. But for OKC with so many different places available, it shouldn't be too hard for HomeGoods to fine one suitable.
    They are generally side by side with TJMaxx and other brands that group owns. I'm not sure why they've been so slow to open sites in Oklahoma. It might just be they're waiting on repositioning stores to be able to co-locate their brands together in the near future. HomeGoods isn't always next to the other brands but more often than not they try to do that. They've even experimented with doing combined stores with single checkout points.

There are plans to open a Homegoods in far Northwest OKC at Portland and 178th in the Portland Power Center, along side a Ross, Five Below, and a handful of other strip mall stores.

Is Mr. Ooley's moving? Saw a building permit for them on Western near Nichols Hills.

Thread Information