Widgets Magazine
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 166162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1689

Thread: Braum's

Default Re: Braum's

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Geez i guess that went right over your head.
    You made a claim and I answered it. Not being smart aleck, but what went right over my head? Nobody would be tricked by me asking about Sunday and CFA, IMO. It is baked into their DNA at such a level that everyone knows it.

It also means when you are out shopping for chow on Sunday, who is not there for you?

2. Default Re: Braum's

All fast food would be better if its employees were paid well. Turnover would be way down, and service would be excellent. Chick-fil-A and Panda Express pay their staff well. Braums needs to start paying people better and hiring managers with actual experience. Most seem to just accidentally get the job when they move up.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    All fast food would be better if its employees were paid well. Turnover would be way down, and service would be excellent. Chick-fil-A and Panda Express pay their staff well. Braums needs to start paying people better and hiring managers with actual experience. Most seem to just accidentally get the job when they move up.
    And that's a good reason to vote yes on the upcoming vote on raising the minimum wage in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Raise minimum wage, prices will go up and hiring will go down. Do you not watch what is happening in California? If you think we need still higher prices, go ahead and vote to interfere in the market system. Service is a matter of the quality of the person hired, the taste of the food has nothing to do with it. If you don't think a place pays enough to it's employees, voice your opinion and don't patronize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Yes, they are. That how fast food places work. Are you sharing the same level of concern with Burger King and Carl’s Jr.?
    Having actually worked in that industry in my lifetime... That's absolutely NOT how fast food places work lol. Customers are expected to throw away their own trash, but not all do... and plus tables and chairs need to be periodically wiped down too, especially after a big rush. At the chain where I worked, the front counter employees were expected to keep the dining room tidy between customers.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    And that's a good reason to vote yes on the upcoming vote on raising the minimum wage in Oklahoma.
    I doubt there is any fast food chain paying minimum wage these days. You can't get anyone to work those jobs for $7.25/hr. I would like to know of any business that can get anyone to work for minimum wage. If there is I'd like to know what those businesses are not including that ridiculous $2.13 tipped minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Not sure why this would have any effect on quality of employee. This doesnt mean Braums would automatically be getting better employees.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Not sure why this would have any effect on quality of employee. This doesnt mean Braums would automatically be getting better employees.
    Paying people more usually gets better work out of an employee. Not always, of course, but usually.

https://insight.kellogg.northwestern...-wage-increase

There's 66 pages of posts spanning almost 20 years in this thread. Complaints of service and cleanliness go back almost as far.

BUT, they've also opened a lot of stores in that time. So, it's never been anything that has prevented demand.

I doubt there is any fast food chain paying minimum wage these days. You can't get anyone to work those jobs for $7.25/hr. I would like to know of any business that can get anyone to work for minimum wage. If there is I'd like to know what those businesses are not including that ridiculous $2.13 tipped minimum wage.
    You obviously think there would be no connecting to fast food places but.
    '
    https://everfi.com/blog/workplace-tr...employees-pay/

"But it’s not necessarily just the lowest earners who are affected, research has found. Economists who study the impact of minimum wage increases anticipate that the effects could extend to higher-earning workers, as well. There are a couple of primary reasons for this:

Maintaining competitiveness as an employer. In markets where employers must compete for workers, a minimum wage increase can trickle upward as businesses adjust their wages to remain competitive.

Preserving relative wages within a business. Employees often pay attention to how much they make compared to their co-workers. If the lowest-paid employees suddenly receive a significant pay hike, workers higher up the pay scale could become disgruntled. To avoid discontent, some businesses choose to raise wages across the board."

What do you think the minimum wage should be? I really don't have an opinion. Give me an example of a business currently starting any new employee at minimum wage of 7.25/hr. Indeed has the average Braums employee making 15.46/hr. So some are making less and some are making more but I don't think any are making minimum. With competition for workers employers just have to pay more than minimum to get anyone to work for them. If you think you are worth more then go sell yourself.

13. Default Re: Braum's

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Raise minimum wage, prices will go up and hiring will go down. Do you not watch what is happening in California? If you think we need still higher prices, go ahead and vote to interfere in the market system. Service is a matter of the quality of the person hired, the taste of the food has nothing to do with it. If you don't think a place pays enough to it's employees, voice your opinion and don't patronize it.
    First of all I didn't make the statement about raising the minimum wage. Competitive wages already exist in the market and that was what I was trying to say. If you want your staff to stay you have to pay. You also have to be a good manager and give them some structure. Braums seems to lack structure and they just hire anyone who walks in the door. It is surprising how different the service can be from one location to the other. I never have that problem at Chick-fil-a or Panda Express.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    not true at all. it doesn't have to be that way. greed by franchise owners is the reason prices usually go up... i'll give you two examples. when i was at college in Weatherford in the early 2000's, because of the oil field and the wind farm construction, all of the fast food places in weatherford, were hiring college students at $12.50/hr just to get people to work. the resulted in no increase in prices... somehow they were able to absorb that cost without having to increase the costs of the products.

now lets actually look at California... The McDonalds franchise owner in the Bay Area who said that he had to up all of his prices 30% because of the change of minimum wage to $20/hr, has now pulled back on those statements after he was brought to his attention that he had been hiring people starting at $23/hr for the 5 years before that increase in minimum wage, and thus the law change was his excuse to be greedy, but didn't actually affect his business at all

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    not true at all. it doesn't have to be that way. greed by franchise owners is the reason prices usually go up... i'll give you two examples. when i was at college in Weatherford in the early 2000's, because of the oil field and the wind farm construction, all of the fast food places in weatherford, were hiring college students at $12.50/hr just to get people to work. the resulted in no increase in prices... somehow they were able to absorb that cost without having to increase the costs of the products.

now lets actually look at California... The McDonalds franchise owner in the Bay Area who said that he had to up all of his prices 30% because of the change of minimum wage to $20/hr, has now pulled back on those statements after he was brought to his attention that he had been hiring people starting at $23/hr for the 5 years before that increase in minimum wage, and thus the law change was his excuse to be greedy, but didn't actually affect his business at all
    Increasing min wage a couple bucks is one thing, doing what Cali is doing going to $20 in such short time is definitely going to have negative effects. So far you have seen fast food jobs eliminated (forget what pizza company but they let go of hundreds of delivery drivers), you have marginal performing stores that can no longer make it and close, and then you have stores go from say 40 employees to 30 employees, so less jobs all while service suffers. Call it greed if you want but an unelected state board in Cali arbitrarily increased min wage drastically and there were many negative real world effects.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post

Given volume McDonalds tend to have might impact him less than others, but just because they were paying an average above the new minimum does not mean will not be impacted, they probably were paying above average for a reason. Jobs like this in the core of expensive cities often have to entice people to drive from cheaper areas of the city, or compensate enough can live nearby. With similar jobs for longer distance drivers closer to them now more pay competitive, and this likely eventually reflected in rent prices of lower scale housing, probably will have to increase pay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Increasing min wage a couple bucks is one thing, doing what Cali is doing going to $20 in such short time is definitely going to have negative effects. So far you have seen fast food jobs eliminated (forget what pizza company but they let go of hundreds of delivery drivers), you have marginal performing stores that can no longer make it and close, and then you have stores go from say 40 employees to 30 employees, so less jobs all while service suffers. Call it greed if you want but an unelected state board in Cali arbitrarily increased min wage drastically and there were many negative real world effects.
    when the minimum wage was 5.15 an hour in Oklahoma... fast food in in rural western oklahoma was able to pay 12.50. if rural oklahoma is able to adapt and not raise prices paying more than double minimum wage in the 2000's, i'm certain places can figure it out now. as for some closing, yes of course, and there is a good chance that many of those were going to close even if the wage had not been increased. look at red lobster for example. terribly run business is no reason to not support workers.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieMeat View Post
    I've seen a DQ where it was the franchise owner that was doing cleaning duty most days. But that was nearly 20 years ago.
    From my experience, I mostly see a manager or supervisor usually cleaning tables at fast food restaurants. Its also a good opportunity for them to check on the customer. They are better at multitasking than your average employee. Seems like unless its Chick fil la, don't count on a table being cleaned during peak periods. The workers won't get to it until the peak is over.

Blog Entries

Fast food restaurant labor cost averages about 20% of the cost of the food. If OK increases wages at McDonalds by 50%, then it should add about a 10% increase in prices. If you really want to control prices, look at the restaurant's cost of real estate and construction, franchise fees, raw food prices, cost of advertising, etc. To put the cost increases on the backs of the lowest paid segment of our society is just wrong. One quarter of working adults in OK earn less than $15 per hour. If they worked full time every work day of every week of the year they would make $31,200. Try living on that.

20. Default Re: Braum's

This isn’t just a Braum’s issue, but an issue with many fast food companies (and other industries).

I worked in fast food during high school and college. I earned minimum wage for a few short months before I received a raise due to my hard work. Any person capable of holding a job can easily get into fast food for a minimum of $11/hr, and most likely more. There is absolutely no reason to artificially raise minimum wage when the market already has it at around 150% or more… other than to make a few people “feel better about themselves”.

People blaming “greedy franchise owners” are completely uneducated on what a franchise owner is and have likely never even considered owning a business. The franchise owners are the ones that are potentially risking millions of their own dollars to employ people to help run the business. That loan isn’t free and must be paid back, along with franchise fees, insurance, advertising, and many other expenses.

The biggest issue with the labor force these days is that this generation wants more money than ever for doing less work than anyone in history. That’s not a good combination. Good hard, reliable workers are very hard to come by these days. That’s why things are heading to automation (and paying above minimum wage for good workers). If you want to do the bare minimum for work, don’t expect to be living large like a movie star.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    The biggest issue with the labor force these days is that this generation wants more money than ever for doing less work than anyone in history. That’s not a good combination. Good hard, reliable workers are very hard to come by these days. That’s why things are heading to automation (and paying above minimum wage for good workers). If you want to do the bare minimum for work, don’t expect to be living large like a movie star.
    This is such a lazy stereotype. There is a HUGE disparity in real pay and has been widening for decades now. Your take is that people are lazy if they don't wish to work for poverty level wages. People like to cast groups of others as lazy to make themselves feel inherently superior.

Part of people's reliability is the ability to have reliable transportation, to have good healthcare to stay healthy and available, to afford childcare on days their kids have to be at home, to be able to miss days to see their kid's teachers, to take time off to take their sick kids to the doctor (assuming they could afford one at those wages), and on, and on, and on.

Then there is the issue of training. Working adults have been passed through a flawed educational system and wind up not having adequate skills to do many basic jobs, and employers regularly fail to give them more than the very basic training to do the job. There is a reason why Chick-fi-a does better than most... because they train better than most, and pay better than most. Training for customer service falls somewhere behind training where the mop is to clean the bathrooms.

If businesses can't pay a living wage and make a profit, then they either are bad business people or the buying public doesn't value their product enough to pay a fair price with it. Being able to eat out is not a RIGHT. If you can't sell a product that makes a profit, think about the business you are in and the product's value.

22. Default Re: Braum's

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    This isn’t just a Braum’s issue, but an issue with many fast food companies (and other industries).

I worked in fast food during high school and college. I earned minimum wage for a few short months before I received a raise due to my hard work. Any person capable of holding a job can easily get into fast food for a minimum of $11/hr, and most likely more. There is absolutely no reason to artificially raise minimum wage when the market already has it at around 150% or more… other than to make a few people “feel better about themselves”.

People blaming “greedy franchise owners” are completely uneducated on what a franchise owner is and have likely never even considered owning a business. The franchise owners are the ones that are potentially risking millions of their own dollars to employ people to help run the business. That loan isn’t free and must be paid back, along with franchise fees, insurance, advertising, and many other expenses.

There are plenty of Franchise owners that do an amazing job at paying their staff and managing the locations they own. The joke when I was a teenager was that the only McDonald's worthy of our money were the ones run by Santiago. All others were dirty and not run efficiently. Not sure if it is still the same for those locations, but I do remember that. I know that Chick-fil-a will offer new locations to Franchise owners when they decide to open a new location. Even if all of the owners want the new location, the Corporate office makes that decision. The franchise owner I have known for a long time that runs a couple Chick-fil-as in OKC is doing just fine. He has a Lambo for fun and has worked his butt off. His whole family put in a lot of time and long nights to make sure His locations were run perfectly. Chick-fil-a is strict about how these Franchise Owners run their brand. IF you can't cut it, you don't last long in their organization. A lot of fast food restaurants are run by people who are just in it for profits. Not every one is a perfect owner.

There are a few Santiago McDonalds by my house I frequent and they are nice and always clean. About the only I time I go into one to eat is during breakfast hours though. There seems to always be someone in the dining area sweeping and wiping things down. Otherwise it us usually the drive through. And McDonalds has one of the best apps of all the fast food places for ease of use and earning rewards.

24. Default Re: Braum's

There are a few Santiago McDonalds by my house I frequent and they are nice and always clean. About the only I time I go into one to eat is during breakfast hours though. There seems to always be someone in the dining area sweeping and wiping things down. Otherwise it us usually the drive through. And McDonalds has one of the best apps of all the fast food places for ease of use and earning rewards.
    Good to know Santiago is still holding it down. I haven't been to a McDonald's in about 5 years, but that is cool about the app. Maybe I should check it out. I am craving a Bacon, Egg, and Cheese McGriddle!

I worked at Sonic and A&W in my youth. Over 50 years ago, when a 13-14 year old could work for 50 cents an hour (plus tips). The good old days. "Got along just fine". "Didn't know we were poor." "Respected authority." Blah-blah....

I don't really think much about how the Sonic operated in 1971 has much to do with today's franchisee and worker. It was a different world then.

And today is better. Especially because I'm still alive and so many who were there/then are dead.

Thread Information