Widgets Magazine
Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1560616263646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1706

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

There’s a big difference between planned early closures and just pulling the gates down before closing time. I’ve run into places closing before their posted times on several occasions within the last year or so. If a store says they are open until 8:00, they should stay open until 8:00. This seems like a no-brainer, but I’ve heard justifications like, ”we weren’t busy” and “the person who closed had somewhere they needed to be.” If I’m driving across town to a store and arrive at 7:45 and the store is closed, I’m ticked. The sign says 8:00, Google says 8:00, their website says 8:00 and they close at 7:45 or earlier? No way should this be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    There’s a big difference between planned early closures and just pulling the gates down before closing time. I’ve run into places closing before their posted times on several occasions within the last year or so. If a store says they are open until 8:00, they should stay open until 8:00. This seems like a no-brainer, but I’ve heard justifications like, ”we weren’t busy” and “the person who closed had somewhere they needed to be.” If I’m driving across town to a store and arrive at 7:45 and the store is closed, I’m ticked. The sign says 8:00, Google says 8:00, their website says 8:00 and they close at 7:45 or earlier? No way should this be okay.
    That's the current state of our economy and labor market for you(its not as bad as it was during Covid). You can tick off a handful of customers in the evening or you can be risk being understaff and ticking off a lot more customers due to long lines and less customer service. If your a manager you kind of have throw your employees these kind of bones unfortunately.

3. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

I hadn't thought of retail. But I know every restaurant we frequent. Which is way too many. Has had continuous problems keeping staffed since COVID. It's better but it's still bad. When they do hire people they leave the first time anything upsets them. Last Friday at the Chilis on NW Exp the managers were cooking because the cooks no-showed. I could list a page of similar examples we've seen over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    This should absolutely be ok. It may be a little frustrating, but oh well. That's life. And the people working there have lives and things come up, just like you do. I am lucky to work somewhere now that I can take care of things in my life without having to worry about my job - and I have no issue with other people having that same curtesy. It is excellent that companies have to respect their employees and throw them "these kinds of bones." Nothing has given me more pleasure than, when I was in college. being rejected for time-off from my job because "they just didn't have the people to work" and quitting on the spot. They quickly reversed course and gave me the time off. It's bs when you put your time-off request in before others and they get approved and you don't. Then the employer faces the consequences of their actions and is simply flabbergasted that "no one wants to work".

I really like that some restaurants now have their hours posted with a "last seating" time so people don't show up 15min to closing and expect a meal that wont even be ready before the employees expect to be able to go home.

If you are driving across town that close to closing, just call and ask their hours. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    This should absolutely be ok. It may be a little frustrating, but oh well. That's life. And the people working there have lives and things come up, just like you do. I am lucky to work somewhere now that I can take care of things in my life without having to worry about my job - and I have no issue with other people having that same curtesy. It is excellent that companies have to respect their employees and throw them "these kinds of bones." Nothing has given me more pleasure than, when I was in college. being rejected for time-off from my job because "they just didn't have the people to work" and quitting on the spot. They quickly reversed course and gave me the time off. It's bs when you put your time-off request in before others and they get approved and you don't. Then the employer faces the consequences of their actions and is simply flabbergasted that "no one wants to work".

I really like that some restaurants now have their hours posted with a "last seating" time so people don't show up 15min to closing and expect a meal that wont even be ready before the employees expect to be able to go home.

If you are driving across town that close to closing, just call and ask their hours. NBD.
    Mmhmm. If a business is closing earlier than advertised that is a problem with the company and manager/owner. Not the "employees being thrown a bone". If a business schedules the absolute bare minimum to run a store they need to anticipate that life happens and is more important than selling trinkets in a mall. They'll need to either close early or the manager or owner need to step up and fill in. Or they need to staff enough to be able to accommodate when life happens or if they can't afford that then they need to just close earlier. Seems like some of them are.

6. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

And all of that, to me, is indicative of slumping sales. If there was a demand, then there would be a need to pay sufficiently to get the staff there. The demand is lacking.

Potential mall news, probably more of a concern for Qual Springs than Penn. Macy's is closing 150 stores.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/27/inves...res/index.html

duplicated post

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Potential mall news, probably more of a concern for Qual Springs than Penn. Macy's is closing 150 stores.

The Macy's at PSM needs to die a quick death. That store has been abominable for over 5 years. It and the JCPenney hold the mall back significantly.

If what they're saying about focusing and adding smaller format stores is true, I could definitely see Macy's closing at PSM and relocating to a smaller store in OAK. Their Market stores are way nicer and more organized compared to the Woodland and PSM stores

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If what they're saying about focusing and adding smaller format stores is true, I could definitely see Macy's closing at PSM and relocating to a smaller store in OAK. Their Market stores are way nicer and more organized compared to the Woodland and PSM stores
    In that case the Macy's at both malls will be potentially be closing.

In that case the Macy's at both malls will be potentially be closing.
    I think Penn Square and Woodland Hills would hold on. They are the last single store in a market, and the two best malls in the state, with Simon Group running both. I think where they would exit would be smaller markets and older malls. Springfield Missouri I think is the smallest market close to OKC with a Macy's remaining. DFW has between 12-16 Macy's locations, not all of those are in flagship locations, and another store would still serve the market just further away.

With Quail Springs, Crossroads, and Promenade all losing Macy's in the last decade or so, I think the two stores left would remain instead of exiting Oklahoma all together?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I think Penn Square and Woodland Hills would hold on. They are the last single store in a market, and the two best malls in the state, with Simon Group running both. I think where they would exit would be smaller markets and older malls. Springfield Missouri I think is the smallest market close to OKC with a Macy's remaining. DFW has between 12-16 Macy's locations, not all of those are in flagship locations, and another store would still serve the market just further away.

With Quail Springs, Crossroads, and Promenade all losing Macy's in the last decade or so, I think the two stores left would remain instead of exiting Oklahoma all together?
    Plus the Macy's-Bloomingdale's Fulfillment Center is in Tulsa for easy stocking.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

I guess it depends on how well these stores are performing. They are wanting to focus of the Bloomingdale and BlueMercury stores while opening smaller Macy's detatched from malls. I think at the very least the medium to long term writing is on the wall for these specific locations. They may build new stores in this market though. The thing about the Penn location is that there are nicer stores around it and there about to be even nicer stores across the street. I'm not sure being in a nicer mall is always a good thing if your being out competed. That area would be a good candidate for a Bloomingdale if they feel like the market can support.

For those who think Penn Square is only busy at Christmas, this is from Saturday March 9th:

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Mmhmm. If a business is closing earlier than advertised that is a problem with the company and manager/owner. Not the "employees being thrown a bone". If a business schedules the absolute bare minimum to run a store they need to anticipate that life happens and is more important than selling trinkets in a mall. They'll need to either close early or the manager or owner need to step up and fill in. Or they need to staff enough to be able to accommodate when life happens or if they can't afford that then they need to just close earlier. Seems like some of them are.
    Until about a month ago, my daughter managed a store at PSM. The issue you have referenced is a work force issue. Stores are having a hard time finding good reliable employees. It was a constant issue of employees not showing up for their shift, quitting without even informing management, and more. Many of the stores cannot find or keep good help. If staffing is insufficient then some just close. Many stores won’t stay open when under staffed because of policy issues involving safety.

Blog Entries

Yes, Pete’s picture is way more typical than not. I drive by a lot as I live a little north of it. It is way busier than most on this board imply.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For those who think Penn Square is only busy at Christmas, this is from Saturday March 9th:

Belle Isle center looks packed, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Belle Isle center looks packed, too.
    When you add in the Curve, just a couple blocks away, and Nichols Hills Plaza, this is a significantly large retail area.

20. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    When you add in the Curve, just a couple blocks away, and Nichols Hills Plaza, this is a significantly large retail area.
    Maybe we should call it the Retail District! Haha!

21. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

they should really surround PSM with parking structures and make it more like Tysons IMO. Perhaps that's the plan.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

22. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    lol. Don't tempt them. ......

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Nah! Oklahoma City Shops!

24. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

gotta have "district" in the name. so "Oklahoma City Shopping District" it is!

The Belle Claspenn District.

Thread Information