Widgets Magazine
Page 64 of 486 FirstFirst ... 145960616263646566676869114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

ya, that does seem quite fast. I thought the tower super structure would take the better of a year to top off (about 1 floor a week). 4 floors? wow!

I suppose, maybe they want the tower topped off to show the world just intime for the OKC Thunder PLAYOFFS!!!!! lol.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Well, I am fairly ignorant on high rise building construction but from what I understand, since buildings are, in theory, the same or very similar each floor, as far as space and layout, construction will be quick for the skeleton since it is mostly pre-fab work.

Once you get a rhythm between your pre-fab suppliers and the installation procedures, it should be able to go up quickly. Now, doing the interior, electrical, safety, transportation (elevators), etc. will probably consume more of the ~2 year goal than the skeleton work.

The Empire State Building was built in approximately a year's time - and it is an old building.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    Speaking of pics, we need some updated ones from the east side of the site. Lauri? Platemaker? ; )
    I will do my best to try and take my camera in one day next week. Lots of stuff going on at ground level and below.

I've been trying to have a lighter load for my walk from Hudson Street garage - been running into a lot of rather aggressive street people early in morning and want to keep hands free as needed.

On a related note slightly off topic - does anyone know where I can buy pepper spray and/or mace? I can't take a firearm into my building, but I'm starting to feel I need some protection.

Gawd I miss my parking. Sure wish Century Center or Cox Center would offer monthly parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    On a related note slightly off topic - does anyone know where I can buy pepper spray and/or mace? I can't take a firearm into my building, but I'm starting to feel I need some protection.

Gawd I miss my parking. Sure wish Century Center or Cox Center would offer monthly parking.
    I think Bass Pro might carry it. If it's really a problem, I'd call OKC Police and make a complaint. For a while, they had an officer posted at N Walker & W Main every morning, and even through parts of the day to help keep the aggressiveness down.

5. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Sure wish Century Center or Cox Center would offer monthly parking.
    Do they not? If not, I know they will the moment the Devon workers move into their garage.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Steel will come out of the ground on Jan. 1, and it will go up 4 floors a week.
    Is that confirmed or just a rumor?

7. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I took some pics of the west side this morning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	devon 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	devon 2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	devon 4.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	379  

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I took some pics of the west side this morning
    Thanks!

I will do my best to try and take my camera in one day next week. Lots of stuff going on at ground level and below.

I've been trying to have a lighter load for my walk from Hudson Street garage - been running into a lot of rather aggressive street people early in morning and want to keep hands free as needed.

This is why those not nearby don't understand why the parking was an issue - there has always been a problem around Sheridan Walker due to the bus station - Police have been told in the past.

I heard that the parking garage is supposed to be back open in January sometime. Is that really the case? Does anyone have access to the towers construction schedule with more information besides its completion, but an actual construction schedule? It would be fun to see how they are tracking ahead or behind schedule. With the speed that they are progressing I dare say that they would have to be on or ahead of schedule at this point. Any updated pictures of the site and or west Garage? The web cam is great but for those of us remotely located it does not provide much detail. Thanks in advance for all of you who are supplying the images and information. It really makes those of us who are living away feel more connected.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a clear and not too frigid day, so my camera is in my bag. With any luck, I'll get some shots of the south side of west garage and all those areas not within sight of cam on that side.

Just wondering - where have Devon employees been parking lately? If the parking garage will be done by January or so - what garage(s) are they vacating that might be available?

I'm ready with my new pepper spray - hopefully I won't have to use it.

12. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Just wondering - where have Devon employees been parking lately? If the parking garage will be done by January or so - what garage(s) are they vacating that might be available?
    There was an article (either Gazette or DOK) that said Devon will vacate hundreds of spots in Cox and Century Center, among others. I imagine they're in Main Street and Santa Fe too.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    I heard that the parking garage is supposed to be back open in January sometime. Is that really the case?
    I was told I would be able to return to parking there at the end of February.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    I heard that the parking garage is supposed to be back open in January sometime. Is that really the case?
    I think Devon has monthly spots in Santa Fe, Cox, Century and Broadway/Kerr.

Monk - if you are headed back into the garage when it opens can we assume you work at Devon?

MadMonk Guest

No, I don't work for Devon. However, the company I work for pays for our parking in that garage. We started parking elsewhere as of Dec 1st and we were told that we would be able to go back to parking there after the construction is completed in February. Whether or not we would be staying there after the tower has been completed is still unclear. In the mean time I park in the garage at Walker and Sheridan.
    I grabbed a couple of pics on the way out last week. I really need to start carrying my "good" camera instead of getting these with my cellphone.
    Looking ESE with the Ford Center in the distance:

Looking ENE at the towers. This will be a nice vantage point when the tower is finished, but I think the Chase tower will be obscured.

Good pics, MM - even with cellphone

I just sent 9 pictures to Pete to post - they are full resolution with "good" camera, taken from IRS building about noon.

We lost power today for two hours - something was "hit" during construction per our maintenance guy.

I thought I had heard March for the garage, but could be wrong - they certainly seem to be moving fast on it, but even once they get the internal structure up, there is a ton to be done still before they could open it to parking (the new floors at least).

Here are Lauri's photos from today (12-14-09):

Great pics. Thanks!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Very cool shots. Is there a place where the public can get that view? I would love to take my daughter up to see the construction.
    Unfortunately, not that exact view - our building is locked down except n first floor. I wish I could let folks in to see - it's cool to watch!

Maybe the Colcord has a public area with a western view? Platemaker?

Another option is to watch from the top of the east garage. I normally just take the elevator on the north end of the garage to the top level and then walk down to the south end and stand in the enclosed area at the top of the stairwell. It blocks the wind and you can still see a lot of the activity going on. So far no one has kicked me out or asked what I was doing. I've run into a few people that do the same thing. Before the weather got so cold anyway.

23. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Looks like they're starting to dig deeper.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

MadMonk Guest

A few pics from lunchtime today:

The south side of the parking garage.

They are beginning to dig around the secant piles now:

A closer look at the famous white van:

BONUS: I captured myself getting the van picture.

Good one Monk! "The Van..The Van.." It's fame is expanding faster than the universe.

Thread Information