Widgets Magazine
Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1358596061626364 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1600

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Let's see what plans are in store for Nikola Topić.

If he's apart of the Thunder's future, the team just got younger.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Not too excited about this pick, still looks wet behind the ears. Maybe he will be packaged in a trade scenario.
    Yeah…definitely not counting on this pick until the dust settles. Could be part of bigger moves.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Apparently was a top 3-5 prospect in this draft before he got hurt. Figure it's a value pick that's either a great option to run the second unit at PG or to be packaged as part of a trade for a big. Either way, I don't think we were getting someone at 12 in this draft that was going to play meaningful minutes next season.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

I mean, JDub was a 12 pick. But yeah, this draft seems a bit thin and the Thunder is currently stacked, so it will probably be much harder for a 12 to have a lot of impact right now.

He's the real deal, very high bbiq, big physical PG that will make a difference in the 25-26 season.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

He isn't a project per se but will for sure have to sit out most of this season. I doubt the thunder are done getting players. I have a feeling Harkenstein might be heading our way.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Also late in the first round the Thunder traded away five second round picks to the Knicks to snag 6’6” forward Dillon Jones from Weber State. Becomes the first drafted player from Weber State since Damian Lillard. Good scorer (though needs to improve from behind the arc), good facilitator and perhaps more importantly should be an impactful rebounder. Should get a shot in the rotation pretty quickly.

So Jonathan Givony (who appears to be an ESPN draft expert) rates the Thunder taking Nicola Topic the 3rd best pick of the draft, if I am reading the column accurately.

I have every reason to believe that is accurate

I also think Sam Presti and the Thunder have done so well over the last 15 years that anything he does is automatically rate "genius" and "visionary"

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Topic is likely out for all next season recovering from his ACL, but he's kind of a Giddey replacement in a lot of ways. He has a similar game. I've also seen Goran Dragic comparisons. The pick isn't necessarily exciting now, but I get it. And, Presti has been pretty good in this range historically.

What I don't get is giving up 5 picks for Dillon Jones. He was considered either a late 2nd round pick or an undrafted player. I get that the Thunder have a ton of picks, but it feels like Presti threw them away because he fell in love with an under the radar guy. While Presti tends to nail the top of the draft, Presti has a pretty poor record in the latter 1st round. His pattern is that he falls in love with some rando player that no one else wants, but gets scared someone will take them, and takes them way too high or gives up assets. He's done this same thing with Josh Huestis at the 29th pick. No one was going to pick Huestis, but Presti used a 1st rounder on him. To a lesser degree, he reached on Darius Bazley (21st pick), Terrance Ferguson (21st pick), Mitch McGary (21st), Tre Mann (18th pick), Poku (17th pick) too. Presti has a pretty bad track record at picking in the 20s. He hasn't really hit on any players since Serge Ibaka in 2008 and Reggie Jackson in 2011. Everyone else in the range hasn't panned out. That happens in the 20s with a lot of players, but late 1st round is not a strength of Presti.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Also late in the first round the Thunder traded away five second round picks to the Knicks to snag 6’6” forward Dillon Jones from Weber State. Becomes the first drafted player from Weber State since Damian Lillard. Good scorer (though needs to improve from behind the arc), good facilitator and perhaps more importantly should be an impactful rebounder. Should get a shot in the rotation pretty quickly.
    I guess I missed this. He is a good pickup for rebounding.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Topic is likely out for all next season recovering from his ACL, but he's kind of a Giddey replacement in a lot of ways. He has a similar game. I've also seen Goran Dragic comparisons. The pick isn't necessarily exciting now, but I get it. And, Presti has been pretty good in this range historically.

What I don't get is giving up 5 picks for Dillon Jones. He was considered either a late 2nd round pick or an undrafted player. I get that the Thunder have a ton of picks, but it feels like Presti threw them away because he fell in love with an under the radar guy. While Presti tends to nail the top of the draft, Presti has a pretty poor record in the latter 1st round. His pattern is that he falls in love with some rando player that no one else wants, but gets scared someone will take them, and takes them way too high or gives up assets. He's done this same thing with Josh Huestis at the 29th pick. No one was going to pick Huestis, but Presti used a 1st rounder on him. To a lesser degree, he reached on Darius Bazley (21st pick), Terrance Ferguson (21st pick), Mitch McGary (21st), Tre Mann (18th pick), Poku (17th pick) too. Presti has a pretty bad track record at picking in the 20s. He hasn't really hit on any players since Serge Ibaka in 2008 and Reggie Jackson in 2011. Everyone else in the range hasn't panned out. That happens in the 20s with a lot of players, but late 1st round is not a strength of Presti.
    Meh. 2RPs are pretty worthless for the most part. For every Aaron Wiggins, you are going to have 10 Dakari Johnsons.

I’m sure they had intel suggesting that he was going to come off the board in the early 2nd.

I hope they now go after Isaiah Hartenstein. Complementary experienced big that might just put us over the top. Get him on a 2 year deal.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2023-24 Season

Interesting day for the Thunder. Traded Lindy Waters to GSW and they plan on keeping him so I hate to see him go but glad he still has a shot in the league.

Traded for Ajay Mitchell which will be a 2 way contract I'd guess. Thunder really drafted 3 guards this year.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Meh. 2RPs are pretty worthless for the most part. For every Aaron Wiggins, you are going to have 10 Dakari Johnsons.

I’m sure they had intel suggesting that he was going to come off the board in the early 2nd.
    Good players come out of the second round every year. By your own admission, the advantage might be in having a number of 2nd round picks to hit on an Aaron Wiggins. Regardless, I don't mind Presti trading 2nd round picks, but this is more like wasting them. It's like he walked in a gas station and offered them $100 for a fountain drink because it was his favorite drink. Completely unnecessary for a player that might not have even been drafted. My point is Presti has a pattern of falling in love with guys, overvaluing them, and then taking them in the 20s. He's missed on quite a few in a row when the more consensus players were available and ended up better.

Good players come out of the second round every year. By your own admission, the advantage might be in having a number of 2nd round picks to hit on an Aaron Wiggins. Regardless, I don't mind Presti trading 2nd round picks, but this is more like wasting them. It's like he walked in a gas station and offered them $100 for a fountain drink because it was his favorite drink. Completely unnecessary for a player that might not have even been drafted. My point is Presti has a pattern of falling in love with guys, overvaluing them, and then taking them in the 20s. He's missed on quite a few in a row when the more consensus players were available and ended up better.
    Sounds like he’s due for a hit then!

I don't you are gonna find many people anywhere who share your negativity about Saint Sam. Seems to me that he is universally thought of as the most brilliant, visionary genius in the NBA at this time.

Some of you are fairly out of touch on the Topic pick. He was mocked to be one of the top picks in the draft. Getting him at 12 at a position of need and having the opportunity to guide a year of recovery and development is great for the Thunder long term. The Thunder consistently draft who they believe to be the best player available, and they definitely did with this pick. The that were available in our range don't look like they are going to be impact players on the court this year. Let the kid take a red shirt year and develop with the team. The Thunder have plenty of options to continue to improve heading into free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I don't you are gonna find many people anywhere who share your negativity about Saint Sam. Seems to me that he is universally thought of as the most brilliant, visionary genius in the NBA at this time.
    Why do you think I don’t like Presti? I never said that. He’s arguably the best GM in the league.

Why do you think I don’t like Presti? I never said that. He’s arguably the best GM in the league.
    I thought your last 2 comments were harsh and contained no positive opinion about Presti. The 'like a guy who spends $100 for a fountain drink at the gas station because it's his favorite flavor" was a teeny-tiny bit over the top for the best GM in the NBA. Then again, I've gotten older and quit watching and listening to the ESPN shows 24/7. I just read a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I thought your last 2 comments were harsh and contained no positive opinion about Presti. The 'like a guy who spends $100 for a fountain drink at the gas station because it's his favorite flavor" was a teeny-tiny bit over the top for the best GM in the NBA. Then again, I've gotten older and quit watching and listening to the ESPN shows 24/7. I just read a lot.
    I started my post by saying I trust Presti at the top of the draft because he’s been unbelievable. My critique was very specific. Presti has been terrible when picking in the 20s and makes asset negative moves to take players way ahead of their projections. Giving praise and critique is fair to me. Trading 5 picks to pick Dillon Jones dramatically higher than every projection is wasting assets IMHO. But, if I need to say it again, Presti is arguably the best GM.

I started my post by saying I trust Presti at the top of the draft because he’s been unbelievable. My critique was very specific. Presti has been terrible when picking in the 20s and makes asset negative moves to take players way ahead of their projections. Giving praise and critique is fair to me. Trading 5 picks to pick Dillon Jones dramatically higher than every projection is wasting assets IMHO. But, if I need to say it again, Presti is arguably the best GM.
    I'm with you. Understand what you are saying.

I do think that in today's NBA draft, the chances of a pick lower than the lottery being a solid, long term (like, 5 years) player in the NBA is a real challenge. Gotta admit I haven't studied who is good at picking in the 20s, and how Presti compares. Besides, I'm a Thunder homer and wouldn't buck him for anything.

Thread Information