Widgets Magazine
Page 63 of 486 FirstFirst ... 135859606162636465666768113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 12137

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

All building permit plans are public record and can be obtained from the city permit offices located on the 8th floor of 420 West Main. The only ones that aren't public record are certain federal building plans. You are required to pay for copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue_Company_One View Post
    Someone said they wish they had a copy of the plans. Is it not possible to go to the building department for the city and get a copy?? I know it would cost a bit, but is that still done?? I know i have done it before in different states. But it was Pre-9-11. Things may have changed.

Love the pics too guys. Its great for those of us who cant get down there much.
    Yeah, I am aware of how to get them but I am currently residing out of state and so the feasbility and cost associated with the size of the plans as well as the shipping of them would be prohibitive. Thanks though! I still consider OKC my home even though I live in Houston.

Drove by today, looks like 3-4 levels have been added to the parking garage... looks good

Dec. 4, 2009:

5. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Looks like they found the water table. Pretty obvious now why they are having to build what amounts to a cofferdam with the secant piles. Downtown OKC is basically built on a riverbed.

That also lends credence to the suggestions I have heard that the water in the Myriad Gardens lake is naturally occurring at that elevation.

6. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

It's also has become interesting and appropriate that Doug's initial post, the one that began this thread, included prominently in the foreground the equipment that would be used to build this barrier. I'm sure Doug caught that equipment quite by accident, but it provided excellent foreshadowing for the thread. Now we understand just how important that equipment and that type of construction is to this project. Basically, they are building this huge tower on a giant sandpile, so they have to dig really deep to get to bedrock, and do a huge amount of preparation to do the job right.

Here's Doug's post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I drove by Hudson and found no nearby parking and Sheridan was totally blocked off so I decided not to stop, particularly not knowing whether there was a gatekeeper letting only invited people attend. But, I did hear the applause and took a couple of distance shots from my car window. They appear below.

It has begun, 11:05 a.m. October 6, 2009, less than 1 hour ago.

DelCamino..those are some awesome pics..Thanks!

8. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Shouldn't you be watching the Journal Record van?

The water in the hole wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it rained just under a quarter inch yesterday would it? I mean, the park across the street from the Sandridge building is deeper than that hole and it isn't interfering with the water tables. Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by sethsrott View Post
    The water in the hole wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it rained just under a quarter inch yesterday would it? I mean, the park across the street from the Sandridge building is deeper than that hole and it isn't interfering with the water tables. Good grief!
    Very true - although the water table is pretty high - watched them drill the piers for the West garage and they were constantly hitting water.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    DelCamino..those are some awesome pics..Thanks!
    i agree, which building are these being taken from?

12. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Actually, "the park across the street from the Sandridge building," Kerr Park, is at a higher elevation than even the street level of Sheridan in front of the Devon site. Downtown is more hilly in places than a lot of people think it is. Not to mention that the hole in the picture is probably around 25-30 feet below the street level, much like the lake at the Myriad Gardens across the street.

As sandy as the site's soil is (look closely at the pictures) any water from yesterday's rain would have probably percolated through by now... ...unless they are really close to the water table or perhaps bedrock. Notice that there's not any standing water, and not even much damp soil, elsewhere on the site. That's not to say that there's not rainwater there, only that something else is probably also at work. It's only science. Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    HA!HA!..I'am keepin a pretty close watch on it. I gotta take little breaks every now and then.

Look - the white van is being highlighted by a sunglare

15. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Actually, "the park across the street from the Sandridge building," Kerr Park, is at a higher elevation than even the street level of Sheridan in front of the Devon site.
    Yeah. Where on earth did you get that idea, Sethsrott?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

, is it tagged? I dinna do it. I was in Norman all day (dang it!)

17. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

It's also has become interesting and appropriate that Doug's initial post, the one that began this thread, included prominently in the foreground the equipment that would be used to build this barrier. I'm sure Doug caught that equipment quite by accident, but it provided excellent foreshadowing for the thread. Now we understand just how important that equipment and that type of construction is to this project. Basically, they are building this huge tower on a giant sandpile, so they have to dig really deep to get to bedrock, and do a huge amount of preparation to do the job right.

Here's Doug's post:
    Soooo ... you don't think that I know my construction stuff, huh? Well, of course, you'd be right about that! I had no idea what those yellow things were until reading your post, Urbanized. Thanks!

I've been all caught up in the campaign that shall not be named so I've not looked at these two sticky threads much lately. All of you guys are doing a bang up job with the pics, the web cam, everything.

One thing that would be nice to consider adding is a distinct thread which presents the fantastic time-lapse stuff that Mad Monk or others put together ... would sure make them easier to locate.

Anyway, great job guys, and thanks.

18. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I'm now kinda caught up on this thread. This pic by DelCamino is one of my favs ... dueling cranes (or whatever they're called) ...

Great pic!

DelCamino, any chance of getting updated pics from the west side of the site? Is there any construction on that side yet? The garage expansion is going up amazingly fast but I and others are curious if there is any ground level construction starting on the west side of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by okcmomentum View Post
    DelCamino, any chance of getting updated pics from the west side of the site? Is there any construction on that side yet? The garage expansion is going up amazingly fast but I and others are curious if there is any ground level construction starting on the west side of the garage.
    I'll try and get some pics from the west the beginning of next week.

There isn't, yet, any construction on the west side of the garage, out toward Hudson Avenue. They are, thought, working on ground support piers in that area.

Speaking of pics, we need some updated ones from the east side of the site. Lauri? Platemaker? ; )

23. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Steel will come out of the ground on Jan. 1, and it will go up 4 floors a week.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

24. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

oh really?

so Devon is going to be a Steel skyscraper?

I was under the impression that it was going to be steel reinforced concrete and glass.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Steel will come out of the ground on Jan. 1, and it will go up 4 floors a week.
    Are you saying we should see the full height of the structure sometime early Aprilish?

Thread Information