Widgets Magazine
Page 62 of 98 FirstFirst ... 125758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Attachment 10220

Took this picture Feb. 4th. Just over 2 weeks ago

What an eyesore........
    Meanwhile I wonder how the N Canadian River is..............oppps I mean the Oklahoma River is doing.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Attachment 10220

I think it was this same inlet that I saw yesterday while driving across Lakeshore Drive, but it was down to a foot-wide (literally) trickle in the deepest channel and the rest was almost-dry ground...

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    What an eyesore........
    Meanwhile I wonder how the N Canadian River is..............oppps I mean the Oklahoma River is doing.
    This stupid argument again, you could put the entire volume of the Oklahoma River in Hefner and it would not raise it an inch, plus it not like they are filling it with water from Overholser regularly, outside of a refresh years ago the OK River's water is coming from local streams runoff that never hit Overholser. The water the city is releasing from Overholser is normally just pass through the river because is mandated by either law or contracts that they can no longer hold it here anymore. They normally just use the May basin of the river to fill either of the other two to keep them usable when they have events going in those two sections there and need more water in them.

Attachment 10220

It's probably been since late summer that OKC has seen a significant rainfall capable of raising Lake Hefner. I am not looking forward to tornadoes but hopefully OKC can get some good rain out of spring storm season this year.

5. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It's probably been since late summer that OKC has seen a significant rainfall capable of raising Lake Hefner. I am not looking forward to tornadoes but hopefully OKC can get some good rain out of spring storm season this year.
    Agreed. I hate seeing Hefner like that. Its such a beautiful lake and a real asset to the city.

6. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Took the drone out to the lake today. Snapped a few pics (see below) and shot some video. This is the east side looking towards the lake side restaurants (I'm north, looking south - you can see the light house near the top center of each pic). Decided to cut it short because Air One was in the area twice and I won't fly if there is any air traffic anywhere close by. Hope to go back out to different parts of the lake for more pics on the next warm day......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI00125_Snapseed-copy.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	10236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI00119_Snapseed-copy.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	10237

Wish we had more rain, here and elsewhere in the state, especially the western areas, border to border.

BBates, what is your altitude in these shots. I've never flown a drone, let alone owned one, but dang if these shots do not spark a bit of interest.

8. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Wish we had more rain, here and elsewhere in the state, especially the western areas, border to border.

BBates, what is your altitude in these shots. I've never flown a drone, let alone owned one, but dang if these shots do not spark a bit of interest.
    My altitude was about 200-300 feet. Can't remember what altitude when I shot those. I had to drop to 200 feet or less not long after taking off because of the police helicopter that flew in the area twice.

They are a lot of fun. But honestly, I consider them way too easy to fly. There definitely needs to be regulations, permitting, licensing, insurance etc. before there are far too many idiots losing control of these things in populated areas. I'm hoping to attend an out of state professional class on UAV's soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    My altitude was about 200-300 feet. Can't remember what altitude when I shot those. I had to drop to 200 feet or less not long after taking off because of the police helicopter that flew in the area twice.

They are a lot of fun. But honestly, I consider them way too easy to fly. There definitely needs to be regulations, permitting, licensing, insurance etc. before there are far too many idiots losing control of these things in populated areas. I'm hoping to attend an out of state professional class on UAV's soon.
    BBates, can we hire you for some drone lessons? : ) We got the same one you did, about a year ago, and haven't done much except crash it into the house or the ground. We've broken the blades, the thing that holds the camera (gimbal?), you name it. My husband dropped the controller and broke it. It's getting ridiculous. I suspect we haven't spent enough time flying it.

You are taking some incredible shots! Makes me very jealous. But thanks for sharing them with us.

It's interesting to see that perspective as I haven't taken my quad up near there. I'll have to get it in the air to take a look once it gets warm.

As for licensing see the latest FAA comments. Recreational will continue to be 400 altitude level and line of sight (in theory). Commercial work should be a $300ish license, 500 max altitude level, and still line of sight. Probably a couple of years before the licensing is ready though considering it's still in comments. Can't wait though although our phantoms and my tarot will be old news by then.

11. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post
    It's interesting to see that perspective as I haven't taken my quad up near there. I'll have to get it in the air to take a look once it gets warm.

As for licensing see the latest FAA comments. Recreational will continue to be 400 altitude level and line of sight (in theory). Commercial work should be a $300ish license, 500 max altitude level, and still line of sight. Probably a couple of years before the licensing is ready though considering it's still in comments. Can't wait though although our phantoms and my tarot will be old news by then.
    I hear ya. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. But I agree it will still be a few years before any regulations are actually enacted.

I am hoping for a license in the $300 range with mandatory insurance and the passing of a test. I think non licensed hobby operators should have some pretty defined restrictions, otherwise this will get out of hand quickly.

Sights while on a jog today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150308_163016.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	10328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150308_163325.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	10329 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150308_171155.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	10330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150308_171203.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	10331

At some point we need to take advantage of these droughts and dig out these dry portions of Hefner (and other lakes) so that when we get rains that do finally replenish the lake, it doesn't take nearly as long to drain...

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    At some point we need to take advantage of these droughts and dig out these dry portions of Hefner (and other lakes) so that when we get rains that do finally replenish the lake, it doesn't take nearly as long to drain...
    While that might be something to consider, Hefner does not have nearly as bad a silting issue as Overholser. You can see in those images the rip rap from when those structures were built has very little buildup over it, they were just built on shallow areas of the lake.

I hear ya. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. But I agree it will still be a few years before any regulations are actually enacted.

I am hoping for a license in the $300 range with mandatory insurance and the passing of a test. I think non licensed hobby operators should have some pretty defined restrictions, otherwise this will get out of hand quickly.
    Is there a thread here where you discuss the specifics of your drone set-up and camera? Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to fantasize about attaching a camera to a model rocket but this drone stuff is mind blowing!

16. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Is there a thread here where you discuss the specifics of your drone set-up and camera? Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to fantasize about attaching a camera to a model rocket but this drone stuff is mind blowing!
    Its a pretty simple setup and purchased from Phantom 2 Vision+ | DJI

Canton looks to be getting a much needed reprieve. Should finish out the night with somewhere between 1.5 to 3 inches right on top of the lake, and hopefully some run-off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    IF we get rains that replenish the lake. I do believe it is time for the city to get serious about water usage. Businesses and people with out of the ordinary water usage need to pay through the nose or be restricted entirely. We may be the next Phoenix so it's probably time to start thinking about xeriscaping.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    IF we get rains that replenish the lake. I do believe it is time for the city to get serious about water usage. Businesses and people with out of the ordinary water usage need to pay through the nose or be restricted entirely. We may be the next Phoenix so it's probably time to start thinking about xeriscaping.
    The new park would be a good start.

I voted for it and the whitewater facility and look forward to using the whitewater facility. It, along with our other recreational water features and advertisements we are a grand land of vast water resources are part of the OKC's bi-polar water conservation policy, do as we say not as we do. It's a quandary.

People want to know where the water will come from and if it is wise to build the park during the drought.

News Channel 4 asked and found out it will take 8 million gallons to fill the course.

The water will come from Lake Stanley Draper and will be cleaned and recirculated.

“We’ll need to top it off every day when it’s really hot, but we don’t expect to use a whole lot of water in relation to how much water the city uses on a daily basis,” Kristy Yager, an Oklahoma City spokesperson, said.

Debbie Ragan is with the OKC Utility Department. She says the park will not hurt the city’s water source.

“8 million gallons is not going to impact our capacity,” Ragan said.

8 million gallons from state lake to go to OKC?s new RiverSport Rapids | KFOR.com

As cool as I think the rafting course is going to be we really do need to start wondering if things like this make as much sense as building a ski resort in Dubai. Yes it can be done, but should it be done? Maybe a ban should be placed on new private swimming pools and direct new homeowners to public facilities (or purchase an existing home that already has a pool).

I was at Hefner a few weeks ago and near the fishing pier it was 360' from the high water line to the actual water.

I live on 10 ac and garden to stock my freezers. Ok, do I use my ground water (you have water rights to 10 ac to water 3 ac) or do I buy produce from the store that is grown in Calif that is watered with water coming from rapidly depletely aquafers. My water level in my well as risen over the years not gone down.

Locally grown food is the best option for many reasons. The problem in Oklahoma isn't that there's not enough water to survive with, it that there isn't enough to live like it is a rainforest. When given the choice between water for growing food or watering a 1/2 acre yard, too many people are picking the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    We don't live in a desert, so we don't have to plant like we do. I've lived in a desert before and few of you understand how little water they receive. We get plenty of rain here. We just over use it. Just raise water prices and people will use less

Raising water rates might keep some people from watering but at the end of day, what happens when those people stop watering their yards?

I believe the council passed this tiered rate structure and increase last year.

Slaughter referred to the changes as an inclining-block structure that would encourage conservation, because increased water use pushes customers into more expensive tiers. Oklahoma City water customers currently pay the same price for each 1,000 gallons of water used.

Under the proposal, a second-tier rate will apply to the thousands of gallons used that exceed the first 10,000 gallons in a billing month. The average residential customer – who uses 7,000 gallons of water and 5,000 gallons of wastewater – would see an increase of $2.88 per month in the utility bill beginning in October. That would be an increase of 5.5 percent in the first year. Rate increases are also planned for 2016 and 2017, which would raise the example bill to $57.35 and $60.29.

Officials said about 20 percent of residential bills may reach the second tier.

Similar rate blocks would be created for nonresidential customers, which include multifamily, commercial, industrial and all other users. An example hospital that currently consumes about 51,000 gallons of water and uses nearly 38,000 gallons of wastewater would see a monthly increase of $26,000 next year.

Read more: Rate increases in the pipeline: OKC Council considers tiered water billing system | The Journal Record

Thread Information