Widgets Magazine
Page 62 of 86 FirstFirst ... 125758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2146

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

1. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    It is not a sad comment if Venables continues to be terrible with his recruiting class
    #4 in the country. Still thinking he's terrible with his recruiting class?

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Interested to see what scheduling format is used for football and basketball. In football it has been discussed that each school will have a group of “permanent opponents” that play every year and then rotate everyone else in a 9 hand conference schedule. OU would definitely have Texas every year and possibly either Arkansas, A&M and/or Missouri. OU-Arkansas will be fun, easy to get to away games for both fanbases and a history of playing each other.

I wonder how our conference change will affect our rooster kickoffs. Please God get rid of them!

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Could Oklahoma City capitalize on some future SEC tournaments:

WCSW (softball) being played annually in Oklahoma City, how likely will the SEC softball playoffs be moved to OKC since many of
    the SEC tournament sites are played in cities off campus.

Baseball: 2022 Hoover Met Stadium - Hoover, AL (10,800)
    Basketball: 2022 Amalie Arena - Tampa, FL (20,500)
    Football: Annually Atlanta, 2022 Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA (71,000)
    Hockey: (?)
    Softball: 2022 University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2,800)
    Wrestling: SEC does not sponsor wrestling as an official sport.

My reason for bringing this up, Oklahoma City could be a good site for softball since the regional tournaments feed into
    the WCWS. It would allow SEC teams to get a preview of the stadium--SEC teams have a good travel history to OKC for the WCWS.

Also,

Baseball: SEC Baseball Tournament in Hoover through 2022, but could it be headed to Oklahoma City in the future?: https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story...ty/5425349001/

Basketball: if Oklahoma City builds a new downtown arena to replace Paycom Center, the SEC basketball could be played here since it would allow closer travel for area members like Arkansas, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A & M. Last SEC basketball tournament was played in Tampa, with the 2023 SEC basketball tournament scheduled for Nashville's 18,500 seat Bridgestone Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Interested to see what scheduling format is used for football and basketball. In football it has been discussed that each school will have a group of “permanent opponents” that play every year and then rotate everyone else in a 9 hand conference schedule. OU would definitely have Texas every year and possibly either Arkansas, A&M and/or Missouri. OU-Arkansas will be fun, easy to get to away games for both fanbases and a history of playing each other.
    I can't imagine how much money Arkansas grad Jerry jones would pay to host OU-Arkansas every year in AT&T Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I can't imagine how much money Arkansas grad Jerry jones would pay to host OU-Arkansas every year in AT&T Stadium.
    Hopefully that stays Ark-A&M and OU-Ark is home and home. OU doesn’t need another neutral site game in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Good Luck.

Ha ha.
    OU will need it. Neither Colorado nor Nebraska ranked in the top 25 for football.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    OU will need it. Neither Colorado nor Nebraska ranked in the top 25 for football.
    Maryland, Colorado, A&M and Missouri have all been such world beaters since changing conferences. In both football and basketball.

Or not.

Missouri has won the SEC East 2 times. Since Missouri joined Georgia and Florida are the only other teams to win the SEC East.

If the SEC goes with the 3-6 format I would be happy playing Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas every year. Alabama will get Vandy, Vanderbilt, and the Commodores every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Alabama will get Vandy, Vanderbilt, and the Commodores every year.
    wow... all three? that's like going up against cassius clay, muhammad ali, and the people's champion every season. : )

Quick question about the 3-6 format. If OU played Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas every year that doesn't necessarily mean Texas plays Missouri every year right? Texas could play OU, LSU, and Mississippi every year.

If so, and all joking aside, Alabama will for sure end up with the absolute worst 3 SEC teams. Georgia will play the same 3.

literally everything i keep seeing says that OU would be playing Texas, Mizzou, and Florida every year in a 3-6. where is Arkansas coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    literally everything i keep seeing says that OU would be playing Texas, Mizzou, and Florida every year in a 3-6. where is Arkansas coming from?
    Just speculation. I have not seen anything offical. I personally would prefer a localized affilation for the common opponents but that is just me. Everyone plays the 3 available schools closest to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    both Colorado and nebraska lost the ability to recruit in Texas, and thought they could make up for it with California and Ohio... and that just never materialized. OU will still have deep recruiting in Texas, and even more from Florida than they had before. plus the SEC seems to mean something to recruits nation wide. something that the Pac and Big10 just don't really have outside of their geographical areas. This will be completely different.

There are a lot of defensive players that hold the SEC patch in high regards. I think OU will continue to do well in recruiting.

OU must infiltrate GA and LA along with FL esp for Defensive players

Quick question about the 3-6 format. If OU played Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas every year that doesn't necessarily mean Texas plays Missouri every year right? Texas could play OU, LSU, and Mississippi every year.

If so, and all joking aside, Alabama will for sure end up with the absolute worst 3 SEC teams. Georgia will play the same 3.
    this is correct .. the 3-6 is a great format and lets each team play the rivals it need to play and then the other 12 teams home and away every 4 years ..

Bama is going to 100% play Auburn Tennessee and then one other team .. miss st or Lsu .. UGA is 100% going to play UF and Auburn and 1 other ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is correct .. the 3-6 is a great format and lets each team play the rivals it need to play and then the other 12 teams home and away every 4 years ..

Bama is going to 100% play Auburn Tennessee and then one other team .. miss st or Lsu .. UGA is 100% going to play UF and Auburn and 1 other ..
    Seems to me that Texas will have to play OU and A&M every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Seems to me that Texas will have to play OU and A&M every year.
    they are going to play OU TAMU and Arkansas that is close to a 100% lock

i think one of the things that doesn't get talked about enough with the move to the SEC is how it will affect other sports. look at the viewship numbers and attendance for sports like Womens Gymnasitcs and Softball. while these will still probably lose money as a whole, the money for the espn+ games, as well as potentially increased ticket sales for gymnastics (because SEC travels for womens gymnastics)... the operating losses of these types of sports might be significantly reduced. also it's going to provide much better competition across the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i think one of the things that doesn't get talked about enough with the move to the SEC is how it will affect other sports. look at the viewship numbers and attendance for sports like Womens Gymnasitcs and Softball. while these will still probably lose money as a whole, the money for the espn+ games, as well as potentially increased ticket sales for gymnastics (because SEC travels for womens gymnastics)... the operating losses of these types of sports might be significantly reduced. also it's going to provide much better competition across the conference.
    Men's basketball is a downgrade, at least currently. The SEC needs Kentucky to be one of the top teams in the country like it has been in the past, Texas/Arkansas/Tennessee/Mizzou/OU/Florida to be the higher level teams they have been and needs Alabama to sustain its current success (they are getting a new $183M on-campus arena within 3-4 years). Of the current SEC teams not named Kentucky only Tennessee has more Sweet Sixteen appearances than OU since 2000 - Tennessee with 6.

Just for fun I mapped out the schedule and have the following:

OU playing Texas, Missouri, Arkansas
    Texas playing Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU
    Alabama playing Mississippi, Mississippi St, and Auburn
    Georgia playing Florida, South Carolina, Auburn

Just for fun I mapped out the schedule and have the following:

OU playing Texas, Missouri, Arkansas
    Texas playing Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU
    Alabama playing Mississippi, Mississippi St, and Auburn
    Georgia playing Florida, South Carolina, Auburn
    texas is 1000% playing OU tamu and Arkansas ...

Alabama is 1000% playing Auburn and tennessee ..

those are not in question at all .... i doubt OU plays Arkansas they are more likely texas TAMU and missouri

your UGA is likely correct ..

texas is 1000% playing OU tamu and Arkansas ...

Alabama is 1000% playing Auburn and tennessee ..

those are not in question at all .... i doubt OU plays Arkansas they are more likely texas TAMU and missouri

your UGA is likely correct ..
    SEC said they wouldn't start planning the schedule until late in the Spring so nothing is 1000%. One of the challenges to saying Team A is for sure going to play X, Y, Z is when you get down to end of the list and realize that one of the 'lock games' produces undesirable results. When I get time I'll post my full list and see how much it compares to reality come June.

Even my list is going to take some tweaking because a few teams have too many common opponents.

Thread Information