Widgets Magazine
Page 61 of 486 FirstFirst ... 115657585960616263646566111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Thanks for the pics Del! It's nice to see the perspective from the west looking east. Looks like they might be about ready to start the ground work on going up on the east side of the garage.

Great pictures Del! On the third picture down, I think you were taking a picture at the same time I was.

The shadows look the same on the machinery plus I'm sure I can see myself standing in my window!

I left my camera at home today, but I'll try and remember tomorrow. I can't believe how fast they are carting all the debris away!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Great pictures Del! On the third picture down, I think you were taking a picture at the same time I was.

The shadows look the same on the machinery plus I'm sure I can see myself standing in my window!

I left my camera at home today, but I'll try and remember tomorrow. I can't believe how fast they are carting all the debris away!
    I think I see you. lol.

I like seeing the different perspectives of the work site and enjoy your pics too. I'm not in the building I took the pics from on a daily basis, but when I am, I'll be sure and snap some and post.

But.........I ended up being in the building this morning, 11-6-09:

More from Lauri from today 11/6:

MadMonk Guest

I like the pictures of the trees in the background on those last two pictures. Very colorful.

7. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

DelCamino, Lauri, Platemaker, others if I left out a name ... MadMonk's flash files are incredible ... you guys are contributing such an invaluable legacy which is not only treasured today but which will be so very valued by those who see them 50 years from today, should they then be available. You are all doing such a wonderful, wonderful job.

One day, hopefully not too far far away, we'll have an Oklahoma City history museum. Some of us are working on that. What a fine contribution all of these photos would be.

Big time hats off to all of you!

An acquaintance informed me that if the Devon building was built to 54 stories it would have to meet federal earthquake codes. He said that they prudently scaled back to avoid the added expense involved with achieving that level of engineering.

Makes for a good story but begs the question: Is there any validity to this?

9. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Normally I would have laughed at that but it seems like we've had an awful lotta little earthquakes around here the last few years.....

Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    An acquaintance informed me that if the Devon building was built to 54 stories it would have to meet federal earthquake codes. He said that they prudently scaled back to avoid the added expense involved with achieving that level of engineering.

Makes for a good story but begs the question: Is there any validity to this?
    I question it's validity. If it were the case, it seems that the 'kick-in' factor would be based upon the building height and not the floor count.

As is the case with this tower, there are other buildings in the U.S. that have a similar footage height, yet have more floors than what is proposed here, meaning 54 stories would have a different height for different building.

I also would have thought they would have known this long before they decided to reduce the number of floors.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    I question it's validity. If it were the case, it seems that the 'kick-in' factor would be based upon the building height and not the floor count.

As is the case with this tower, there are other buildings in the U.S. that have a similar footage height, yet have more floors than what is proposed here, meaning 54 stories would have a different height for different building.
    Now that I think back to the conversation it was the building height not the floor count. The next sentence we switched over to discussing the building by floor count and I misremembered it as such.

Blog Entries

What Federal earthquake codes are you referring to? I am not aware of a federal code and I am in construction all over the world. There are local seismic codes in many places, but they all start at more like 4 or 5 floors, not 50.

Their architect and construction managers are world class. They would not overlook any code of significance. This is just a wild rumor.

I know from first hand knowledge it has nothing to do with building codes....they, devon, built another facility to house their computer/data systems, hence the loss of floors from the original design

I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the information.

I went on top of the east garage today to see what progress they were making and could literally reach out and touch the boring machine that was drilling holes right next to the garage. It also looked like the garages were becoming a rather popular place during lunch to watch the activity. Good times!

I'm uploading some images since it's been so dead in here.

nice, real nice.

MadMonk Guest

Took this from my cellphone camera this morning. They were augering out dirt in a huge column on the west side of the west parking garage.

Wow! That's cool. My last picture is from that same area. I guess they got the sleeve all the way down by lunch time.

great pictures, guys!

I'll be back at work Tuesday and will try and remember camera. Last week was hectic with holiday in middle of week.

Construction Pics, Friday November 20, 2009...

Nice pics!!

Very nice, Del!

I didn't take my camera all week - too much other stuff to lug. They sure are digging some deep holes - I could hear the drills all week.

Thanks. Now that the parking deck has be demo'd, there's not much to see for us civilians. I know there's lots of underground, dirt work, digging of lines, support piers, etc going on, but until the superstructure begins to come out of the ground, things may look like this for a while.

Thread Information