Widgets Magazine
Page 61 of 125 FirstFirst ... 115657585960616263646566111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3102

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Why do you need to be in a metro area of 2 million plus? Work related? I've sort of given though to moving to the DFW Metro area. It's the only metro area I could move to in Texas because of a hobby I have. However, I can't justify it because of the insane traffic issues and the cost of housing down there compared to Oklahoma City.
    Well I feel like I really want to get out of OKC for several reasons, many of them personal. If I'm going to leave here, I'm going to be somewhat picky about where I end up. I personally find the 2 million MSA size to be the sweet spot when it comes to having the lifestyle/culture/amenities I really want.

Before people leave, I think they need to put things into perspective. If things are going good for you, is it necessary to leave?
    This is a question I ask myself daily. My life really isn't that bad in OKC. It's just that I have had this dream since I was in college of getting a few years work experience somewhere smaller and then moving to a big city. I did...I moved to Charlotte in 2009 and was in love with it, but due to the economy and pressure from family I ended up back here and have been somewhat bitter about it for years. With the economy not so bad right now and the fact that I'm not getting any younger, I"m thinking this might be the time to give it another go. Though I'm older now I'm still single and don't have anything tying me down here other than my job.

But if I'm going to do this, I need to do it soon or otherwise I just need to accept that I'm going to settle in OKC and buy a house here.

Blog Entries

The traffic in the D-FW area is a major drawback to relocation to that area. They can't keep up with the infrastructure demand. The traffic on the expressways (on a nice day) might permit you to average 25-30 mph once you enter the major metro areas from 635/820. It's a great area; however good luck getting to those places you need to visit.

San Antonio-Austin unbelievable growth, it won't take long to duplicate D-FW & Houston. Texas has 3 of the top 10 major metropolitan areas in the country.

As the saying goes, the grass isn't greener on the other side. I've told this story before, but I moved here from northeast Ohio in 2013. I wanted to get away from the stagnant growth, the cold winters, and to make it easier to storm chase. Plus, I've always had a fondness for Oklahoma. Yeah, we have our issues, but I'll take this over Ohio any day of the week. I did give DFW some thought, but the desire for Oklahoma far outweighed Texas and mostly due to traffic issues. It's not really living if you're spending a lot of your time in your car just for your commute to work, the store, or wherever. And it's not going to get any better. Transit can only help so much. People want to drive. I like to think that we have a governor now who sees the potential in Oklahoma (as I do) and is wanting to unlock that potential. Slowly but surely it seems things are getting better in the state. BChris, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? I work in the mechanic field, so I don't make a LOT of money. I earn a middle class living though. I bought my house for 91,500 last year. I didn't want an expensive mortgage payment. I'm paying less than 700 a month. If I were to move to the Dallas area I would more or less be forced to paying a lot more for a house payment but still earning pretty much the equivalent.

As the saying goes, the grass isn't greener on the other side. I've told this story before, but I moved here from northeast Ohio in 2013. I wanted to get away from the stagnant growth, the cold winters, and to make it easier to storm chase. Plus, I've always had a fondness for Oklahoma. Yeah, we have our issues, but I'll take this over Ohio any day of the week. I did give DFW some thought, but the desire for Oklahoma far outweighed Texas and mostly due to traffic issues. It's not really living if you're spending a lot of your time in your car just for your commute to work, the store, or wherever. And it's not going to get any better. Transit can only help so much. People want to drive. I like to think that we have a governor now who sees the potential in Oklahoma (as I do) and is wanting to unlock that potential. Slowly but surely it seems things are getting better in the state.
    This sounds pretty much like my ex's story. He is a storm chaser and moved to OKC for that reason. He loves it here. He also considered DFW and decided against it for the same reasons (traffic) and also because OKC is typically closer to the action. For me personally, I could do without the severe weather.

The way I see traffic is its just one of those negatives that comes with living in a major city. It's definitely one of the negatives of DFW or any big city for that matter. If OKC continues to grow its eventually going to have more traffic problems than it does now. Especially if the city doesn't start modernizing its infrastructure yesterday.

And I totally agree, things have become much better in this state recently than they were even just a few years ago. That's why I've considered just buying a house and putting down roots here, but deep down I still feel like I would prefer to move.

BChris, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? I work in the mechanic field, so I don't make a LOT of money. I earn a middle class living though. I bought my house for 91,500 last year. I didn't want an expensive mortgage payment. I'm paying less than 700 a month. If I were to move to the Dallas area I would more or less be forced to paying a lot more for a house payment but still earning pretty much the equivalent.
    I do tech support, so I should be able to find a job pretty much anywhere, or at least anywhere that I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This sounds pretty much like my ex's story. He is a storm chaser and moved to OKC for that reason. He loves it here. He also considered DFW and decided against it for the same reasons (traffic) and also because OKC is typically closer to the action. For me personally, I could do without the severe weather.

The way I see traffic is its just one of those negatives that comes with living in a major city. It's definitely one of the negatives of DFW or any big city for that matter. If OKC continues to grow its eventually going to have more traffic problems than it does now. Especially if the city doesn't start modernizing its infrastructure yesterday.

And I totally agree, things have become much better in this state recently than they were even just a few years ago. That's why I've considered just buying a house and putting down roots here, but deep down I still feel like I would prefer to move.

I do tech support, so I should be able to find a job pretty much anywhere, or at least anywhere that I'm considering.
    You and I sound pretty similar. Unlike you, I am born and raised from OKC. I fortunately was a very well traveled kid and young adult, so I never really thought about leaving because well, I could always travel. Then I met my wife, who is from a gorgeous town in Long Island. She grew up a train ride from Manhattan, a 15 minute drive from the beach, and just surrounded by so much that it really made my head spin the first few times. Some people hate that kind of hustle and stay away from big cities, but I personally find that level of energy and opportunity intoxicating. There is obviously a reason that millions of people put up with that kind of COL and traffic.

Like you, it's just hard to explain to anyone who is settled here. I've resolved that unless I find an equally fulfilling opportunity here within my moving timeline, leaving OKC is just an itch that must be scratched for me, regardless of whether I can get anyone else's blessing. It feels like it might be that way for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The traffic in the D-FW area is a major drawback to relocation to that area. They can't keep up with the infrastructure demand. The traffic on the expressways (on a nice day) might permit you to average 25-30 mph once you enter the major metro areas from 635/820. It's a great area; however good luck getting to those places you need to visit.

San Antonio-Austin unbelievable growth, it won't take long to duplicate D-FW & Houston. Texas has 3 of the top 10 major metropolitan areas in the country.
    And they are so overated IMO. I just don't see the draw to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    You and I sound pretty similar. Unlike you, I am born and raised from OKC. I fortunately was a very well traveled kid and young adult, so I never really thought about leaving because well, I could always travel. Then I met my wife, who is from a gorgeous town in Long Island. She grew up a train ride from Manhattan, a 15 minute drive from the beach, and just surrounded by so much that it really made my head spin the first few times.
    While I wasn't technically born and raised in OKC, I've spent more of my life here than anywhere else. This is pretty much as close to a "hometown" that I have. What I find when traveling to other major cities, is that instead of coming back with an itch scratched, I come back with a much deeper itch to move.

Another thing that OKC doesn't have and never will is quick and easy access to natural/outdoor amenities and scenery. DFW also has this negative, but the other big Texas cities do not.

I'd like to visit NYC myself soon. I've never been there and its a bucket list item for me. I might take a trip up there this summer, I'm not sure yet. The crazy part of me has had the thought of packing everything up, selling my car, and just moving there. I'm also going to visit DC and am planning on doing a Southwest trip to get a feel for some cities in that part of the country.

Some people hate that kind of hustle and stay away from big cities, but I personally find that level of energy and opportunity intoxicating. There is obviously a reason that millions of people put up with that kind of COL and traffic.
    This is me 100%. The level of energy and opportunity in big cities is exhilarating. I'm definitely taking COL into account but things like traffic and general crowdedness aren't issues to me. Maybe I'll feel different after living in a big city for a while but to me, I think I can deal with them. They are just facts of life when it comes to big city living. There's no perfect place and everywhere you live is going to have trade offs.

Like you, it's just hard to explain to anyone who is settled here. I've resolved that unless I find an equally fulfilling opportunity here within my moving timeline, leaving OKC is just an itch that must be scratched for me, regardless of whether I can get anyone else's blessing. It feels like it might be that way for you as well.
    Yeah, it's becoming more and more that way for me. I might be up for a promotion at work this summer and if that pans out, I might stay here another year. However, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to make this happen one way or another.

Another thing that OKC doesn't have and never will is quick and easy access to natural/outdoor amenities and scenery.
    Ok, I've got to jump in here.. what?

Now, I agree OKC doesn't have quick access to CERTAIN natural/outdoor amenities and scenery. But to say it doesn't have nor ever will seems.. off? What is it that you're looking for along the lines (mountains, the ocean?)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Now, I agree OKC doesn't have quick access to CERTAIN natural/outdoor amenities and scenery. But to say it doesn't have nor ever will seems.. off? What is it that you're looking for along the lines (mountains, the ocean?)
    That's it. Mountains and/or the ocean. You do have the Ozarks in eastern Oklahoma and the Wichitas in Southwestern Oklahoma, but nothing near OKC.

OKC does have the OK river area as well as Lake Hefner so it's not like its completely devoid of outdoor recreation. I was thinking more in terms of natural amenities as opposed to man-made.

While I wasn't technically born and raised in OKC, I've spent more of my life here than anywhere else. This is pretty much as close to a "hometown" that I have. What I find when traveling to other major cities, is that instead of coming back with an itch scratched, I come back with a much deeper itch to move.

Another thing that OKC doesn't have and never will is quick and easy access to natural/outdoor amenities and scenery. DFW also has this negative, but the other big Texas cities do not.

I'd like to visit NYC myself soon. I've never been there and its a bucket list item for me. I might take a trip up there this summer, I'm not sure yet. The crazy part of me has had the thought of packing everything up, selling my car, and just moving there. I'm also going to visit DC and am planning on doing a Southwest trip to get a feel for some cities in that part of the country.

This is me 100%. The level of energy and opportunity in big cities is exhilarating. I'm definitely taking COL into account but things like traffic and general crowdedness aren't issues to me. Maybe I'll feel different after living in a big city for a while but to me, I think I can deal with them. They are just facts of life when it comes to big city living. There's no perfect place and everywhere you live is going to have trade offs.

Yeah, it's becoming more and more that way for me. I might be up for a promotion at work this summer and if that pans out, I might stay here another year. However, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to make this happen one way or another.
    I think you will find a huge divide between visiting and living (in these bigger cities). Wait til you pay the big city taxes. And find that if you own a car everything about it is taxed so much higher. Higher registration fees. Higher repair. Tire disposal fees. Gas tax. And on and on. Most of the larger cities are struggling with homeless and drugs and crime. Needles and poop on sidewalks. Home or Condo ownership taxes are really going up too.

I’m not saying its awful but there are so many factors you rarely see when just visiting. At a minimum a person should consider renting a year to truly learn all those things.

That's it. Mountains and/or the ocean. You do have the Ozarks in eastern Oklahoma and the Wichitas in Southwestern Oklahoma, but nothing near OKC.

OKC does have the OK river area as well as Lake Hefner so it's not like its completely devoid of outdoor recreation. I was thinking more in terms of natural amenities as opposed to man-made.
    Any mountains you will have to drive if moving to a bigger city. So is it really that much closer in time? And all oceanfront is overpriced. If buying close but not on beach you have to find a public beach which most are overcrowded with all the rest of non oceanfront visitors.

I’ve always felt OKC was rightsized where its not expensive living but has enough amenities. And can do weekend trips to find about anything yet not have to pay to live there. Except ocean. But most people who live close to ocean overpay and don’t go as much as one might think. Yet have to fight crowds to do so.

Good luck if you decide to move. Myself, I like it here. And within 25 years we’ll be at 2m pop is my guess

I don't really know you, but I don't think you'll be well served by moving somewhere for the beach or for mountains. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I don't think you're a competitive skier or a surfer or anything like that (you wouldn't be living in Oklahoma if you were). Now if that's what you want to do, then yeah you need to move to a place that can accommodate that dream. You just can't live that kind of lifestyle in a place with no mountains and no ocean.

But from your post, you talk about the Ozarks and the Wichita Mountains like they're really far away. You can be in the Wichita Mountains in an hour and a half, or faster if you drive like PluPan. In a lot of big cities it'll take you that long to negotiate traffic and get to the scenic areas nearby. Not always, of course, and if you can pay the money to live in those scenic parts of town it's a lot more convenient. But that's going to increase your cost of living by a lot, because without fail that's where the rich people live. Most people who live in Los Angeles don't spend much time at all on the beach. Most people in Denver don't go skiing on the weekends. Unless you have a mega buttload of money, you aren't going to be able to live in a city of 2 million people, then walk outside your front door and see nature's wondrous beauty.

Now maybe you'll kick yourself if you don't just get outta OKC and see what the world is like. I did that in my early 20s and I came back, so I understand that need. If that's what you've gotta do, it's what you've gotta do. But I don't think moving elsewhere will give you more access to nature.

Blog Entries

If natural beauty was all there is to it, Vancouver, BC would be the most populated city in the world. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If natural beauty was all there is to it, Vancouver, BC would be the most populated city in the world. LOL
    True. What an amazingly awesome place to visit. Loved it there. One neat tidbit, Vancouver metro has the biggest Chinese population outside of China. At least it used too.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I don't really know you, but I don't think you'll be well served by moving somewhere for the beach or for mountains. Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I don't think you're a competitive skier or a surfer or anything like that (you wouldn't be living in Oklahoma if you were). Now if that's what you want to do, then yeah you need to move to a place that can accommodate that dream. You just can't live that kind of lifestyle in a place with no mountains and no ocean.

But from your post, you talk about the Ozarks and the Wichita Mountains like they're really far away. You can be in the Wichita Mountains in an hour and a half, or faster if you drive like PluPan. In a lot of big cities it'll take you that long to negotiate traffic and get to the scenic areas nearby. Not always, of course, and if you can pay the money to live in those scenic parts of town it's a lot more convenient. But that's going to increase your cost of living by a lot, because without fail that's where the rich people live. Most people who live in Los Angeles don't spend much time at all on the beach. Most people in Denver don't go skiing on the weekends. Unless you have a mega buttload of money, you aren't going to be able to live in a city of 2 million people, then walk outside your front door and see nature's wondrous beauty.
    I think different people have different priorities when it comes to deciding what place is best for them and what's important to them. I think this answer is going to be a little bit different for everyone. Whether its family, friends, COL, climate, scenery, amenities, culture, politics, walkability, public transit, traffic, etc everyone is going to weigh the importance of those a little differently. I really don't want to get into specifics of what I don't like about OKC as it would just start arguments and there would be no point, but in my almost eight years back here as an adult I can say with absolute certainty that it isn't the best fit for me.

I definitely understand that big cities do have their drawbacks, traffic and higher COL being among them, but millions of people live in them and make it work.

Now maybe you'll kick yourself if you don't just get outta OKC and see what the world is like. I did that in my early 20s and I came back, so I understand that need. If that's what you've gotta do, it's what you've gotta do.
    Yeah, this is definitely one of the things driving my desire to move. I want to be able to prove to myself I can do it. I know that if I don't, I'll spend the rest of my life wondering "what if."

16. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Well I feel like I really want to get out of OKC for several reasons, many of them personal. If I'm going to leave here, I'm going to be somewhat picky about where I end up. I personally find the 2 million MSA size to be the sweet spot when it comes to having the lifestyle/culture/amenities I really want.

This is a question I ask myself daily. My life really isn't that bad in OKC. It's just that I have had this dream since I was in college of getting a few years work experience somewhere smaller and then moving to a big city. I did...I moved to Charlotte in 2009 and was in love with it, but due to the economy and pressure from family I ended up back here and have been somewhat bitter about it for years. With the economy not so bad right now and the fact that I'm not getting any younger, I"m thinking this might be the time to give it another go. Though I'm older now I'm still single and don't have anything tying me down here other than my job.

But if I'm going to do this, I need to do it soon or otherwise I just need to accept that I'm going to settle in OKC and buy a house here.
    EVERYONE should live in and experience more than one place before deciding if you want to go home again. That's much of why l keep saying if you aren't happy in OKC, go somewhere you can be. Life is too short to just sit around and b**szche about everything in OKC.

I briefly touched down last year back in OKC and had to leave immediately as I opened the door to my apartment. I quietly churned through last year, finished my lease, and went back to colorado and bought a house in Colorado Springs.

I’ve moved around a LOT the past 5 years. Happy to drop the anchor now. For some reason or another, OKC always felt like prison to me. It has many amazing qualities, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes all the coolest things to do can’t outweigh the demons. Colorado’s the only place I’ve ever been able to breathe, so I chose to come back. It’s hard to explain to people who are happy in OKC - I truly wish I could have been happy in OKC. It works for some but not for everybody. If it’s not working for you it probably won’t anytime soon, and it’s your decision to make on whether to stay and hope it will change to fit you or get out of dodge.. You only have one life so pick whatever you want.

OKC has low cost of living, laid back life style, up and coming districts filled with bars and restaurants, and plenty of opportunity. However, if it doesn’t have a path for happiness for you then none of the other matter. I moved back to a high cost of living region with terrible traffic, incredibly rude self-centered people, and somewhat increasing crime. But I’m happy here. The weight on my chest is a fraction of what it was in OKC, I can walk outside my front door with a beer and look at Pike’s Peak. I can be in the hills 15 minutes after starting my car, and in complete isolation deep in a national forest within an hour. .

Find the place to make your stand, BChris (and others). Nothing wrong with moving around and finding a place that helps you find happiness within. No place by itself will make you truly happy.. Some places put you on the right path to find it from within, however.

As far as population growth for the foreseeable future, I think OKC is going to be fairly well positioned. I think 2020-2030 will see pretty rapid growth for our city.

Two big problems facing OKC in the last decade were statewide educational funding and our crazy legislature. Obviously those two were related. It seemed like some members of our legislature thought that just because they had an "R" next to their names, they could propose any kind of ridiculous bills and people would vote them into office forever. Well, the most recent election showed that while Oklahoma voters are pretty conservative, there's only so much crazy they'll tolerate before they get angry enough to do something about it. A lot of people lost their seats last year. I think things had to hit rock bottom in a lot of ways before voters got fed up with it enough to take action.

Education funding looks to be pretty solid at the moment, if we can keep it at a respectable level we should start moving up a lot of the rankings, and that will help draw in new businesses. People don't want to move to a state with awful schools.

In addition, we've been getting a lot of positive press over our "medicinal" marijuana. I just got back from a vacation and when people found out I was from Oklahoma, that was the first thing they asked me about. "Is it true you guys legalized pot???" I'm as square as they come, but even I have to admit that it's increased our "cool" factor significantly. Criminal justice reform is also a real improvement for the state. Our budget will probably be in better shape when our prison numbers start going down.

When the new convention center, the park, and the Omni open, we'll start getting a much higher class of conventions. Larger businesses will be visiting, more people will be coming in, and they're generally going to get a positive impression of OKC. This city is ready to audition for bigger and better things. The state is pretty business friendly, and the city will bend over backwards for companies. If OU will start making a serious push to improve/expand their science and engineering programs, that will help as well.

In addition, we've been getting a lot of positive press over our "medicinal" marijuana. I just got back from a vacation and when people found out I was from Oklahoma, that was the first thing they asked me about. "Is it true you guys legalized pot???" I'm as square as they come, but even I have to admit that it's increased our "cool" factor significantly. Criminal justice reform is also a real improvement for the state. Our budget will probably be in better shape when our prison numbers start going down.
    I still cannot believe Oklahoma beat Texas to the punch on this. And furthermore, while there's hints of progress down there it seems they are a long ways from legalization. But things can change fast. Prior to 2016, Oklahoma had the second or third strictest anti-MJ laws in the nation.

HangryHippo Guest

If OU will start making a serious push to improve/expand their science and engineering programs, that will help as well.
    There's no reason OU shouldn't be pouring money into aviation and engineering.

Blog Entries

I think different people have different priorities when it comes to deciding what place is best for them and what's important to them. I think this answer is going to be a little bit different for everyone. Whether its family, friends, COL, climate, scenery, amenities, culture, politics, walkability, public transit, traffic, etc everyone is going to weigh the importance of those a little differently. I really don't want to get into specifics of what I don't like about OKC as it would just start arguments and there would be no point, but in my almost eight years back here as an adult I can say with absolute certainty that it isn't the best fit for me.

I definitely understand that big cities do have their drawbacks, traffic and higher COL being among them, but millions of people live in them and make it work.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the things driving my desire to move. I want to be able to prove to myself I can do it. I know that if I don't, I'll spend the rest of my life wondering "what if."

Best of luck; sometimes you have to satisfy that itch.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I think you will find a huge divide between visiting and living (in these bigger cities). Wait til you pay the big city taxes. And find that if you own a car everything about it is taxed so much higher. Higher registration fees. Higher repair. Tire disposal fees. Gas tax. And on and on. Most of the larger cities are struggling with homeless and drugs and crime. Needles and poop on sidewalks. Home or Condo ownership taxes are really going up too.

I’m not saying its awful but there are so many factors you rarely see when just visiting. At a minimum a person should consider renting a year to truly learn all those things.

I'll just leave this here.

Oklahoma City is one of the higher city taxes in the US. What do we have to show for it? A bunch of couches and trash laying all over the place?

https://www.okctalk.com/attachment.p...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOST2018.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	15275  

23. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by cbing04 View Post

Oklahoma City is one of the higher city taxes in the US. What do we have to show for it? A bunch of couches and trash laying all over the place?

Of course it's one of the higher sales tax cities. That's the primary funding method for the operation of the city. Other cities have property taxes to rely on. Go compare to "rich" school districts in Texas and see what you might have to pay in property taxes. A friend with a condo in Austin has to pay over $30,000 annually in property tax - it's nice but its not a million dollar condo.

Quote Originally Posted by cbing04 View Post

You are misleading readers, that shows solely “sales” tax.

We are one of the lesser cost of living large cities around.

Here is Wallet Hub and they rank OK as 45 of 50 states (1 is most tax burden):

One simple ratio known as the “tax burden” helps cut through the confusion. Unlike tax rates, which vary widely based on an individual’s circumstances, tax burden measures the proportion of total personal income that residents pay toward state and local taxes. And it isn’t uniform across the U.S., either.

To determine the residents with the biggest tax burdens, WalletHub compared the 50 states across the three tax types of state tax burdens — property taxes, individual income taxes and sales and excise taxes — as a share of total personal income in the state. Read on for our findings, commentary from a panel of tax experts and a full description of our methodology.

https://wallethub.com/edu/t/states-w...-burden/20494/

Check out property taxes in other states. We are 49th cheapest property taxed in country. Car reg fees. And many other items.

One thing we do need and Florida does this, is charge an “impact” fee for new houses and apartments. Its a one time fee for new construction to help pay for new demands (schools, roads, fire, police and other infrastructure). Of course they were and have been a high growth state and here it might stagnate growth somewhat. Good idea though.

All the stuff about taxes just ignores the real issues that make a lot of people like me leave, and the reasons I am currently considering leaving.

I am in my late 30's, creative professional, married to another creative professional. We make good money here, own a home, nice cars etc. BUT the labor market SUCKS. Now yes, in terms of amenities the city is getting MUCH better, but is still miles away from actual cultural amenities, no good art museums, no theater to speak of, none that are exciting anyway. Also, yes, the natural scenery is not the best and thats part of the desire to leave as well. But, the labor market is the thing that will eventually force my hand. The tax talk assumes people are moving for "a job", like just any job. The jobs that I WANT aren't here, and won't be. As a creative professional here you can eventually get your self a decent in house or agency gig here, that will top out at a very livable but middle income wage. But to go past that, it just gets pretty dead end unless you want to work in petro or insurance. There are very few employment opportunities that are both exciting and well paying. It's either exciting and you make what a good bartender does while doing work that'd pay a huge amount in major markets, or you're doing incredibly dull work for a company you may not care for for a good amount of money, but not advancing in quality or skills. I'll likely make enough regardless of market to pay the taxes, to pay rent, to eat, to drink, and on and on. But, the longer I Go on living here and traveling frequently the more it starts to feel like, Oklahoma is very cheap, and unfortunately you get what you pay for. I may have a smaller place to live, and have to trade in my sports cars, but like, if I were doing amazing work that I was passionate about, and had all the worlds culture outside my apartment, I probably wouldn't care. I'm probably going to decide in the next 6 months wether I'll bail. But right now it's looking like, yeah why wouldn't I, my job here is good, but where on earth would the next one be ?!?!

Thread Information