Widgets Magazine
Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 105556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1997

Thread: Whole Foods

Default Re: Whole Foods...

Awesome, so aliens have sold out to advertising now instead of just doing crop circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    Awesome, so aliens have sold out to advertising now instead of just doing crop circles.
    If you'd look closer, our notice they already do a crop maze, big deal they decided to sell out the design and hopefully make a profit in a drought season

3. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Woooooosh!

Snapped some pictures with my iphone this morning. Now let's see if I can remember how to do this.

Northwest of Grocery, front of building.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    Northwest of Grocery, back of building.
    [/IMG]
    Northwest of Grocery, back of building.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    Southeast side Grocery.
    [/IMG]
    Grocery cafe.
    [/IMG]
    Cafe patio.
    [/IMG]
    Northeast side Grocery.
    [/IMG]
    Northwest side Grocery
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by workman45; 08-13-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Trying to get photos to show

Great pics!

Another nicely disguised tin shed peice of architecture thats so common around these here parts.

Maybe it's due to being in tornado Alley? Build it fast and cheap, nothing lasts around tornado alley for long.

But this is the better of most efforts.

There really isn't anything "cheap" about this building. Pretty much every building is built in a similar fashion no matter how much it costs, steel structure with veneer attached, I have done that type of building all over the world in Japan, China, Ireland, Mexico and all over the US. You can go as cheap or as expensive as you wish on that type of building, I guess they could have done painted concrete tilt-wall building which is the predominate method here in Austin (and Houston) for low rise commercial buildings of any size. The days of building a brick double-wythe exterior wall building are long gone.

7. Default Re: Whole Foods...

I think he meant to say expensive.

8. Default Re: Whole Foods...

I don't think they went with this construction technique for the fast element of it either. They have been working on it over a year.

when you were taking the photos did you peak in any of the windows?

That's the most expensive stonework I've ever seen on a grocery store! Looks really, really nice.

They've had the added challenge of having to make it look good from all four sides and have done a nice job.

To clarify, the orange building is Anthroplogie

I agree. That's one of the most expensive exteriors on a grocery store I've ever seen. The landscaping is pretty impressive too. I suspect Anthro will look great when co
    pleted too.

Too many workers around and I didn't have a hard hat. In that situation discretion is better than chancing confrontation.

Thanks for the photos workman.

Are you just speculating with the "Grocery Cafe" label or did you see something that led you to believe that little structure will be a cafe?

Just speculation.

I have to agree it does look alot more impressive in person. The rock and masonry work is very nice and does look expensive. In the photos it looked like the type of tin metal buidling walmart utilizes...thank goodness it really isn't.

I do think the term veneer gets misunderstood and misused as a "positive" element (especially in furniture commercials).

(və-nîr')
    1. A thin surface layer, as of finely grained wood, glued to a base of inferior material.
    2. Any of the thin layers glued together to make plywood.
    3. A decorative facing, as of brick.
    4. A deceptive, superficial show; a façade: a veneer of friendliness.

tr.v., -neered, -neer·ing, -neers.

1. To overlay (a surface) with a thin layer of a fine or decorative material.
    2. To glue together (layers of wood) to make plywood.
    3. To conceal, as something common or crude, with a deceptively attractive outward show.

Actually, I was told veneers are frequently used in expensive furniture construction. It's only when it's concealing plywood or MDF that it can be a problem. And "solid wood" doesn't necessarily indicate quality, as pine is a solid wood. Solid oak furniture is frequently sturdy but unattractive or pedestrian. Now, back to topic. The Anthropologie store will look great once it's done, I can pretty much guarantee you. They have such great interiors and windows. With those big windows it will be fun to go by and see what their current decorating theme is. They have a Visual Manager for every store, who is told the company's theme, but gets to interpret it. They work very hard on their interiors as well, and since they get new merchandise almost every day, it's always fun to see how that new merchandise is displayed.

I work as a designer for a VERY high-end furniture manufacturer in town. They are varying reasons as to why veneers are used in high-end furniture and usually not for deceptive reasons. There are different types of veneers. While the cheaper Ikea-type veneers are trying to mimic the qualities of certain wood, the high-end veneers are usually that particular wood itself. Some exotic woods may not be available in the desired dimensions or it's characteristics may not lend themselves to certain design features. All woods shrink and swell, some more than others for example. There may also be weight considerations for furniture that may be on boats, rv's planes, etc. The application of veneers on high-end furniture is quite involved and can cost more than one might think. The other stuff is quite awful, but you often get what you pay for.

Blog Entries

The critical poster was just trying to appear knowledgable by by taking a shot at the building. In fact, it is going to be a great addition to the neighborhood, and the best looking and highest quality HF store I have seen. Chesapeake is developing a first class shopping area for OKC...the best in the city by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The critical poster was just trying to appear knowledgable by by taking a shot at the building. In fact, it is going to be a great addition to the neighborhood, and the best looking and highest quality HF store I have seen. Chesapeake is developing a first class shopping area for OKC...the best in the city by far.
    I agree with this statement. The 2-3 WF I have seen here are not as good looking as this one appears to be.

20. Default Re: Whole Foods...

For sure, you find me a grocery store in town that isn't just conrete...then come back and complain about WF....ha.

Even the ugliest WF store I've been in (Little Rock) is still a nice place compared to a typical grocery store. And this one by far seems to be taking the cake on the fancy factor.

Bomber, I agree, but you need to visit the Parlane ovation in Dallas or the flagship store in Chicago!

Guess who pays for that upscale architecture at the check out?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Bomber, I agree, but you need to visit the Parlane ovation in Dallas or the flagship store in Chicago!
    What are you typing on?

iPad 2, gotta love iOS predictive text! I meant to say ParkLane flagship location in Dallas.

In today's paper there's a story about Costco saying they'd move here if we allowed wine in grocery stores... In that same article there's an interview with the Whole Foods people and they mention their new Classen Curve store was not designed to accommodate wine and if it were made legal they'd have to do some rearranging of the store isles. This just struck me as odd and somewhat short sighted.

Hoping for a silver lining... If it does get legalized though and the result is that WF has to further decrease their space for food to accommodate wine, maybe that'll hasten the building of more stores in the metro.

Thread Information