Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Hudsons

1. Default Re: Brix Restaurant & Sports Lounge

The second floor above Brix was formerly the expanded (and at one point very popular) billiards room of the Bricktown Brewery, abandoned when the Brewery sold and adjusted its footprint. I've spent many an evening playing pool and looking out of those windows.

I will say that while numerous undeveloped floors certainly and obviously exist in Bricktown, I believe most people including posters on this board are unaware just how many upper floors ARE occupied by functional (and in some cases high-end and outstanding) office space. I think the perception is that there has been zero upper floor development when in reality there has been a considerable amount.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Brix Restaurant & Sports Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I will say that while numerous undeveloped floors certainly and obviously exist in Bricktown, I believe most people including posters on this board are unaware just how many upper floors ARE occupied by functional (and in some cases high-end and outstanding) office space. I think the perception is that there has been zero upper floor development when in reality there has been a considerable amount.
    Urbanized, I certainly didn't mean to imply that there has been little to no (re)development of upper floors in Bricktown, but there are several buildings that come to mind, particularly the building that houses Spaghetti Warehouse that always strike me as wonderful opportunities that continue to sit idle.

3. Default Re: Brix Restaurant & Sports Lounge

No question there are still lots of opportunities, in fact probably hundreds of thousands of square feet of opportunities. It's also fair to say that it is disappointing that some specific buildings (Spaghetti Warehouse is a good example) haven't yet been renovated. I'm just saying that I think it is a common perception that most if not all upper floors are undeveloped, and it just isn't the case. When I point out - even to people who are "in the know" about downtown - various buildings that are mostly or fully occupied, often after some really sexy renovations, the most common response is shock and amazement. "No upper floor redevelopment in Bricktown" has become a bit of an urban legend, and it is simply untrue.

4. Default Re: Brix Restaurant & Sports Lounge

Brix has really gone downhill. I was there on NYE and the waitstaff is awful and the place is poorly maintained. The bathroom had a giant hole in the wall covered by a poster held up by tacks. After 20 minutes of waiting for our beers I had to go get them from the bar myself. For an upscale bar they're really failing. The entire operation seems poorly run. It's disappointing because its the only real sports bar in Bricktown. Hopefully they get their act together.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Brix has really gone downhill. I was there on NYE and the waitstaff is awful and the place is poorly maintained. The bathroom had a giant hole in the wall covered by a poster held up by tacks. After 20 minutes of waiting for our beers I had to go get them from the bar myself. For an upscale bar they're really failing. The entire operation seems poorly run. It's disappointing because its the only real sports bar in Bricktown. Hopefully they get their act together.
    We've had this exact experience twice now. The service is absolute crap.

Brix has really gone downhill..
    i guess i'm curious as to when it it was uphill from where it is now? i've met up with friends there on 3 separate occasions over the past two years, and have had just as terrible of service as you have described... i just figured this is the way it always was since it still seems to get busy on weekends, and such. Was it actually good when it opened?

Ive always been disappointed in Brix. Food wasnt good, poor service and the layout sucks for sports watching. They have probably been able to get by for so long because they are the only decent sports bar in Bricktown. They should also thank Coach's for refusing to do any Audio/video or cosmetic upgrades because that has probably led most people to go to Brix to watch a game.

As a bit of a tangent, Coachs must not care about making more money because with a few thousand in TV and sound improvements they could get a ton more business. They have a great setting at the ballpark and Bricktown lacks good sports bars yet they seem to be content with their 15+year old equipment and small crowds. Their big screen behind the bar is laughable

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Ive always been disappointed in Brix. Food wasnt good, poor service and the layout sucks for sports watching. They have probably been able to get by for so long because they are the only decent sports bar in Bricktown. They should also thank Coach's for refusing to do any Audio/video or cosmetic upgrades because that has probably led most people to go to Brix to watch a game.

As a bit of a tangent, Coachs must not care about making more money because with a few thousand in TV and sound improvements they could get a ton more business. They have a great setting at the ballpark and Bricktown lacks good sports bars yet they seem to be content with their 15+year old equipment and small crowds. Their big screen behind the bar is laughable
    Someone recently told me that all of the Coach's are going to become S&B Burger Joints. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I thought it was laughable at best, but then another friend told me that the Coach's in Norman had a sign up saying they were going to become S&B.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Someone recently told me that all of the Coach's are going to become S&B Burger Joints. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I thought it was laughable at best, but then another friend told me that the Coach's in Norman had a sign up saying they were going to become S&B.
    unless i just missed it... i was at Coach's in Norman last night, and i didn't see a sign... but again... i could have just missed it

S&B and Coach's have a partnership, and S&B was advertising that they have an S&B burger menu at Coach's in Norman... not sure that it goes beyond that.

Default Re: Brix Restaurant & Sports lounge opening Jan 2009

Not a Brix fan, but then, I'm not a fan of any establishment that has so many appearances in Groupon, L-social, etc., etc., etc. that's it is difficult to imagine there is anyone at all in the place who is paying full freight on anything but their bar tab. Seeing them in the discount offerings seems almost as constant at seeing that Khol's is having (yet another) sale.

Coach's in Norman is becoming S&B Burger.

Per Steve, Coach's at the ballpark is closing. Not shocked.

The space provides a great setting and with some much needed upgrades and a good operator this could become a great sports bar, or nice restaurant

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Per Steve, Coach's at the ballpark is closing. Not shocked.

The space provides a great setting and with some much needed upgrades and a good operator this could become a great sports bar, or nice restaurant
    Yeah, this Coach's was particularly crappy. It was really unfortunate because the ambience/setting of that location was pretty great and could be once again, with the right operator. OKC needs a better sports bar and it would be awesome if one went in here.

Yeah, this Coach's was particularly crappy. It was really unfortunate because the ambience/setting of that location was pretty great and could be once again, with the right operator. OKC needs a better sports bar and it would be awesome if one went in here.
    Didn't they just get a good review from OKCBBQEA? or were there more than one Coach's in Bricktown?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Didn't they just get a good review from OKCBBQEA? or were there more than one Coach's in Bricktown?
    The service was always much crappier than the food... only restaurant I've ever left $0.00 for a tip.

HangryHippo Guest

For me, the service and rudeness of employees was the main factor. I like Coach's food and never really had a problem with it, but the service at this restaurant was abysmal. Truly terrible every single visit.

pretty nice renovation of the "Brix" building on this months BUD meeting adding new windows for the entire north and south side of the building ... and removing the handicap ramp at the back and building a new ramp and new (nice) rear entrance

BCA-12-00019, at 27 E Sheridan Ave (Bricktown), by Sam Gresham Architects for Jeff Moore, to renovate the existing structure with new windows on the second, third, and fourth floors, removal of paint and a new entry storfront on the rear elevation, removal of a fire escape and walk-in cooler, a new masonry screen wall on the eastern property line, and a new set of stairs and access ramps with integrated landscape planters at the rear entry.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    pretty nice renovation of the "Brix" building on this months BUD meeting adding new windows for the entire north and south side of the building ... and removing the handicap ramp at the back and building a new ramp and new (nice) rear entrance

BCA-12-00019, at 27 E Sheridan Ave (Bricktown), by Sam Gresham Architects for Jeff Moore, to renovate the existing structure with new windows on the second, third, and fourth floors, removal of paint and a new entry storfront on the rear elevation, removal of a fire escape and walk-in cooler, a new masonry screen wall on the eastern property line, and a new set of stairs and access ramps with integrated landscape planters at the rear entry.
    Check out post #122 above by Will, which takes you to Steve's blog and shows renderings of the project you're referring to.

21. Default Re: Brix Restaurant & Sports Lounge

Building permit filed yesterday for this to convert existing Restaurant to Office. $80,000 remodel.

Accela Citizen Access

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Building permit filed yesterday for this to convert existing Restaurant to Office. $80,000 remodel.

Accela Citizen Access
    So Brix is going away? Not that I ever went but this leaves a hole in the sports bar market in bricktown. Hopefully something good will happen with the old Coach's.

It was terribly run. Not a surprise, but amazing that there is not even a single sports bar in Bricktown. RePUBlic should move into the Coach's spot. They'd rake in the cash...

HangryHippo Guest

It was terribly run. Not a surprise, but amazing that there is not even a single sports bar in Bricktown. RePUBlic should move into the Coach's spot. They'd rake in the cash...
    Brix was horribly run with the worst service of any establishment in Bricktown. However, I am also amazed that we can't get a single decent sports bar in Bricktown. It's unbelievable. I agree though, if RePUBlic would open in the old Coach's, I'd be there all the time. It would be a wonderful addition to downtown.

Thread Information