Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    Pride rears its ugly head.
    Jealousy is the green-eyed monster. Cid, you're not from OKC and you don't "get it" - can we just stop here? You're not changing any minds and neither am I.

On edit: I see from past posts that you probably are in Oklahoma City. My apologies. I think it was your post about the OKC radio station and how they should poll out-of-towners to see how they feel that led me to believe otherwise. At any rate, you are in the minority - most in OKC have waited years for a big league team and we want the recognition that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Cid, you're not from OKC and you don't "get it" - can we just stop here? You're not changing any minds and neither am I.
    What makes you think I'm not from OKC? Furthermore this "get it" phrasing sounds VERY familiar. Oh, now I remember... it was those 'Nawlins folks that said we just don't "get it" when we wanted the team to stay.

Pride rears its ugly head.
    So a few of us are sinners. Is yours envy?

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    So a few of us are sinners. Is yours envy?
    Envy of what exactly?

It was said that Tulsa residents purchased 20% of the Hornet tickets the two years they were here. I actually think that is a good percentage and higher than I would have expected.

I have lived in Okc my entire life and I don't care either way on the name Oklahoma or Okc.

I actually think that because the state of Okla has such a poor self-image that this is such a big deal and Tulsa and Okc seem to bicker over the naming of a team.

Also remember that when Tulsa had the USFL it was called the Oklahoma Outlaws and not the Tulsa Outlaws.

I am not Kelly Ogle, but that is my 2 cents.

6. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Are you agreeing that it SHOULD BE an OKLAHOMA team, and SHOULD NOT BE an OKC team? Just asking.
    No I agreed with the post 2 above me, that said that people outside of OKC could care less what the team is named. They are going to come if they like basketball. Therefore, it's silly to think the team won't do as well if we name it OKC ____.

If we would have put a statewide tax up for a vote to upgrade the Ford Center I do not believe it would have passed. ..... It should be OKLAHOMA CITY____

This city (and our leaders) has gone all out in so many ways, even other than the sales tax to get this team.

I knew it might be a battle to get a good team name (please not the "Scissor tails") but I never dreamed we would be deciding whether it would be Oklahoma or Oklahoma City.

And by the way I spoke to several people at work who do not live in Oklahoma City city limits and none said they would not attend games or support the team if it was Oklahoma City and most said they never thought it would be anything but Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    No I agreed with the post 2 above me, that said that people outside of OKC could care less what the team is named. They are going to come if they like basketball. Therefore, it's silly to think the team won't do as well if we name it OKC ____.
    That clears it up for me. I thought you were agreeing with the post right before yours. Damn those leaps.

Envy of what exactly?
    I don't know. Thats why I ask.

10. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

ok everyone, contact the mayor and council about this.

Demand that the team be called Oklahoma City whatever!!! Oklahoma City is the reason why the team is coming and ultimately Oklahoma City will support the team.

An Oklahoma City team brings all sort of marketing ops to the state and the state surely will benefit but it is OKLAHOMA CITY's renaissance and we want to be damn sure people don't assume the team is based anywhere else but Oklahoma City!!!! Oklahoma City is the major league city, the big league city!!! So there should be no question as to where the team is based!

The owners are from OKC and OKC voters brought the team to their city - so they should be recognized by officially having Oklahoma City as the moniker.

Let's not give almost all of those outside of OKC who said they'd vote no - now all of sudden leach in trying to say the team is a state team. It was NOT the state who built the ford center or the upgrade. It was not the state who will build the practice facility or even own any part of the team. Sure, OKC's market will be the whole state (just like Seattle's is pretty much the whole state of Washington minus the SW part - that belongs to Portland due to proximity), so the team should be named in honour of its owners/host!

Anybody know how to contact Clay and company? We need to contact EVERYBODY to make sure this is named for Oklahoma City!!!!!

Oklahoma ___ belongs to the NCAA!!! Let's not confuse the two (I can see the jokes now if the team is named Oklahoma.).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    It was said that Tulsa residents purchased 20% of the Hornet tickets the two years they were here. I actually think that is a good percentage and higher than I would have expected.

I have lived in Okc my entire life and I don't care either way on the name Oklahoma or Okc.

I actually think that because the state of Okla has such a poor self-image that this is such a big deal and Tulsa and Okc seem to bicker over the naming of a team.

Also remember that when Tulsa had the USFL it was called the Oklahoma Outlaws and not the Tulsa Outlaws.

I am not Kelly Ogle, but that is my 2 cents.
    Tulsa and 'Okc' bicker over the team? What team is this?
    My A$$ that OKCs new team should be pschologically shared with the wanna be Bostonians, living in the chicken pooped waters of Tulsa.

From what I understand, the Oklahoma Outlaws of the old USFL franchise was
    actually shared with OKC (co-owners with Tulsa). Tulsa had to 'accept' Oklahoma (Which has been very hard for most of its history).

Tulsa would have voted everything down from Maps to the Ford Center improvements to huge bonds. This has all led to OKCs rise to getting the NBA.

The last thing we want is a pompous city like Tulsa flicking buggers at our town when they come in to see the games, giving us the bird when they leave and then calling the team "Oklahoma's team" like its equally shared.
    Screw the rest of the freakin state. If anything the state should be renamed OKC. The whole state of oklahoma is riding on OKC and will most likely do so for the next 60+yrs.

If Tulsa wants to celebrate the NBA in Oklahoma then let their bumper sticker say the OKC somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Remember, the naming process is a one time deal. In five years it will either be a good name or not. Nobody will be discussing whether it was "predictable" when chosen. I love the Oklahoma City Thunder! Actually, I'm not even certain if that's what you mean by "predictable." The Dallas Cowboys: is that/was that predictable? Did it/does it matter?
    Ok, I think it's lame and will be a washed up name in 5 years. I don't think it speaks anything to our current renaissance.

I agree with OKC Patrol, It would have been the Tulsa Outlaws if it wasn't fot the OKC connection. I have always heard the the owners wanted to move the team to OKC, but could not work out something. I know for a fact that a lot of Tulsans wanted the team to move to OKC. The Tulsa leaders are praying that "Oklahoma City" is nowhere on this basketball teams name. Tulsans are really proud of thier City, which is nothing wrong with that, but do not like sharing. Tulsa is a fine, fine city. I just never liked nameing a professional team with just the name of the state, not the city it is in.

Anybody listen to any sports radio this morning? Aside from March Madness the big topic is this whole branding issue of "Oklahoma" VS "Oklahoma City". Apparently there is an unwillingness on the part of the Professional Basketball Club, LLC to commit to anything regarding the name - even if it's going to be OKC or Oklahoma (!) until after the BOG vote and it's official. A couple of the hosts think exactly as I do - this shouldn't even be an issue. There's no reason in the world if it was going to be called "Oklahoma City" (as everyone had assumed) that they wouldn't go ahead and confirm that. Obviously, it's either one of two things:
    1. It's going to be the Oklahoma _________.
    2. They still haven't decided.

The emphasis on the state at the press conference raised a lot of eyebrows. Plenty of people are none too happy this isn't an easy question to answer.

We have got to push for Oklahoma City at all costs.

solitude, PR101, it would be PR nightmare to start jumping the gun without the BOG vote at least, and perhaps even the court trial (or buyout, whichever comes first). Otherwise, they are opening themselves up to more controversy than necessary. They are already trying to keep the media as quiet as possible, the team can't come until a.) a buyout is made b.)court makes decision, so why jump the gun.

I DO hope it is OKC and not Oklahoma. While it's not a deal killer, it is in OKC's best interest to have the team named OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    solitude, PR101, it would be PR nightmare to start jumping the gun without the BOG vote at least, and perhaps even the court trial (or buyout, whichever comes first). Otherwise, they are opening themselves up to more controversy than necessary. They are already trying to keep the media as quiet as possible, the team can't come until a.) a buyout is made b.)court makes decision, so why jump the gun.

I DO hope it is OKC and not Oklahoma. While it's not a deal killer, it is in OKC's best interest to have the team named OKC.
    But I think the point is, after Stern's visit the other day, there's no reason not to say simply, "Yes. It's going to be Oklahoma City." That could hardly be controversial. It's no more jumping the gun than some of the NBA people saying this week, "They're coming, it's not a matter of if but when." There's no reason they can't tell us what we all assumed - it's an OKLAHOMA CITY branded team. PR101 says don't start a controversy when they're shouldn't be one. PR101 says, "Nip it in the bud!."

17. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

The radio people were saying we should contact whoever we can so I called the Mayor's office. I got the idea they have had a few calls. She told me that Mayor Cornett is committed to it being "Oklahoma City". She said the decision is out of his hands but he is committed to it being OKC and will push hard for it. I have a bad feeling that if this was an open and shut deal there wouldn't be any need to wait and see. I wasn't expecting controversy about this. The team name and mascot maybe but the thought of it being anything but Oklahoma City never crossed my mind. From the people I talk to they didn't either and would be very disappointed if it was a state named team. Let's hope it's OKC!

They are already trying to keep the media as quiet as possible,
    What!? They've had the media out flogging for them for months on this.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC PATROL View Post
    Tulsa and 'Okc' bicker over the team? What team is this?
    My A$$ that OKCs new team should be pschologically shared with the wanna be Bostonians, living in the chicken pooped waters of Tulsa.

From what I understand, the Oklahoma Outlaws of the old USFL franchise was
    actually shared with OKC (co-owners with Tulsa). Tulsa had to 'accept' Oklahoma (Which has been very hard for most of its history).

Tulsa would have voted everything down from Maps to the Ford Center improvements to huge bonds. This has all led to OKCs rise to getting the NBA.

The last thing we want is a pompous city like Tulsa flicking buggers at our town when they come in to see the games, giving us the bird when they leave and then calling the team "Oklahoma's team" like its equally shared.
    Screw the rest of the freakin state. If anything the state should be renamed OKC. The whole state of oklahoma is riding on OKC and will most likely do so for the next 60+yrs.

If Tulsa wants to celebrate the NBA in Oklahoma then let their bumper sticker say the OKC somethings.
    Man, they can eff off. Tulsa (the city of) hasn't done a damn thing to help us on any of this... now they expect to share the name by stripping the CITY off of it? Whatever.

Tulsa needs to recognized they've been passed and that they're the No. 2 city in this state and not much can change that in the future, as they've given us a nearly 20-year head start in the revitalization game.

Fact is, the team name WILL have the state mentioned no matter what. So why strip the host city? Tulsa wants this because some people will hear "Oklahoma Thunder" and say "Oh wow, didn't know Tulsa had a team now." That's all they're wanting. They're wanting to be CONFUSED with being a big league city. OKC actually is about to be one. This is driving Green Country nuts. With the city on the team name, OKLAHOMA will be mentioned. OKLAHOMA CITY. That makes it totally clear where this team plays at... both CITY and STATE.

I really don't see why this is controversial. The reason this state is about to get the NBA is three-fold:

1. MAPs
    2. The Ford Center existing
    3. Ford Renovations

In each case, OKC -- not the state -- did the heavy lifting. OKC voted to approve MAPs, not Tulsa, who has voted down several similar issues to spite us and feel superior that they wouldn't make such a mistake. MAPs included a pro-level arena, because we were confident in our future as a city. And lastly, that confidence spilled over to the Ford renovation vote, because we realized we built the arena on the cheap the first time around.

I'll be madder than a hen if it's not OKC. There's less than zero reason why the team shouldn't be called Oklahoma City.

But I think we really don't have anything to worry about. I think the recent NBA visit sold OKC as the CAPITAL of the state of OKLAHOMA, and that the entire state looks to OKC for just about everything. I think the relocation committee was informed about just how important OKC is to every corner of this state. That other place can't claim that. So I think they stressed that to the committee and some took that as a sign that OKC wouldn't be the name. I think what they did was play up the state to help shore up numbers the committee might think we're weak on. No more, no less. I doubt the league is telling them it can't be OKC. If that was the case, the Hornets would have been the NO/Oklahoma Hornets.

I think what you'll see happen is this:

-- Absolutely ZERO mention of the new team name at all prior to the BOG vote.
    -- The vote is in OKC's favor and as a result, Seattle capitulates and gives up the ghost and the team moves for next season.
    -- The team is unveiled as the "Oklahoma City (Thunder!) _____________" sometime in early July.

This deal pisses me off, but I think there's a reason for it. But Tulsans better get ready to buy OKC gear, because that's just what will happen. No way this team of OKC businessmen are going to miss on a cherry opportunity to get free advertising for its city where their major companies are based. That's the important thing, right there. This team was bought and will come here to raise OKC's stature.

Let's keep the state name to the state schools on the college level. That's where it belongs.

but the team belongs to Oklahoma City
    To clarify something Solitude posted previously, the team actually belongs to Professional Basketball Club, LLC. It's not Oklahoma City's team. That may seem like hair-splitting, but the partners and the NBA know the difference.

Now, it may be that the team will be named the Oklahoma City something-or-other.

But whatever the name is will be decided by PBC and the NBA. It's not Mayor Cornett's or the City Council's decision, any more than they can tell any other business what to call itself.

The only say we as citizens had on this was the sales tax vote, and we made our decision on that.

On another note: I lived in Tulsa for a couple of years, and I want to say that this notion that Tulsans sit around in leather club chairs holding their brandy snifters with pinky finger extended and snorting about awful Oklahoma City is just delusion.

It's sort of like the delusion we used to have that if one of Coach Switzer's players raped someone or shot up the athletic dorm, it was because Sports Illustrated or the Dallas Morning News put 'em up to it.

It's sort of like Sen. Coburn's delusion that teenage lesbians are prowling the stalls of high school restrooms, or State Representative Kern's delusion that gays are infiltrating schools to seduce students.

It's sort of like the delusion that anyone who questioned the wisdom of the Sonics deal was some sort of saboteur sent from Seattle.

Although I was born here and have lived here most of my life, I have lived in some other cities both larger than smaller than OKC, and nowhere did I see people so constantly persuaded that nefarious "others" were sneaking around trying to somehow do them in.

Stop being so paranoid. If you want to be seen as a Big League City, act like grownups.

21. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Here here Jwill

Bornhere, I disagree. This is Oklahoma City's team. Oklahoma City will support this team. The owners are from OKC and speak Oklahoma City. They all along bought the team to move it to Oklahoma City. So I see NO REASON why the team name should not be Oklahoma City ___.

It is Oklahoma City's team, for all of the aformentioned reasons in prior posts!! Oklahoma City is the reason why Oklahoma City is getting this team (and some stupid mistakes my town (Seattle) has done).

We need to do EVERYTHING to make sure this is an Oklahoma City named team. Oklahoma City is the big league city and therefore its name should be on the team moniker!

Like JWill said (and I said earlier), leave the state name Oklahoma to the NCAA!

Let's dont confuse the two (or give Tulsa credit when they surely dont deserve it - which is what they are surely hoping for).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Ok, I think it's lame and will be a washed up name in 5 years. I don't think it speaks anything to our current renaissance.
    Metro, I notice how you keep putting down all the possible names of the team. But , I haven't seen your idea for a team name?? If you have mentioned it , I must have missed seeing it. It is easy to keep saying that you don't like something , but you must have something in mind that you do like.

So what is you great name that speaks volumes about Oklahoma City??

Folks, I don't think we have a need to argue over the team's name, colors, etc. I'll bet all that has been decided and is waiting to be unveiled once the team is free of its lease in Seattle.

Let's say there's a settlement just before the court hearing in June, or that the court would rule in such a way that would allow the team to come to Oklahoma City for the 2008-2009 season. In literally a matter of days, the team has to get league approval, jerseys, signage, tickets, print and broadcast advertising, letterheads, merchandise -- you name it. They aren't going to have time to play name-that-team. I'm guessing it's ready to go at a moment's notice.

Get ready for the Oklahoma City Blue Flames

"With a nod towards the commodity that funded their acquisition, the Oklahoma City Blue Flames represent the league's first environmentally friendly team."

There ya go.

25. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Natural gas is only marginally more environmentallly friendly than plain ol' oil. Nor is it sustainable.

However, nice idea.

Thread Information