Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the former news anchors?

okcerintul Guest

Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by magicchord
    I think that Channel 4 call-in show helped make Devin's career. Nice guy, talented.

In addition to writing books, he also writes songs and sings quite well.

(I'm a former Ch. 4 staffer from long ago so I'm biased )
    I forgot about his musical talents. I saw him perform at the Oklahoma Opry years ago. Very good.

Devin Scillian was the main KFOR anchor during the bombing ordeal, Theresa Green was fill in co-anchor. Linda Cavanaugh had been mysteriously gone for a week, with much talk of a face lift...

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardEll
    Devin Scillian was the main KFOR anchor during the bombing ordeal, Theresa Green was fill in co-anchor. Linda Cavanaugh had been mysteriously gone for a week, with much talk of a face lift...
    Linda was there. I remember Theresa was the first KFOR reporter at the site, and Linda was in the studio during the late afternoon.

Sorry to disagree, Devin Scillian and Theresa Green anchored nonstop all day.

okcerintul Guest

Sorry to disagree, Devin Scillian and Theresa Green anchored nonstop all day.
    Videotapes from the day show Theresa as the first KFOR anchor on scene that morning, with Linda anchoring from the studio, and Devin in the newsroom for most of the evening. You can purchase tapes from the Bombing Memorial giftshop.

blondie Guest

Linda Cavanaugh was not in Okc on the day of the bombing. She was in Vietnam working on a special series.

so many lives were changed forever that day, and so many people lost in a senseless act of a couple of demented people.

I for one am glad that the U.S. Government is now actively prosecuting and convicting people who are actively advocating violence against the people and/or government.

Prior to the 911 terrorist attacks, the courts had been held to the former standard of "clear and present danger" which was virtually impossible to prove that these type of ranting people "actually posed a danger" to society, as opposed to ordinary free speech, which is a constitutional right.

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blondie
    Linda Cavanaugh was not in Okc on the day of the bombing. She was in Vietnam working on a special series.
    Then I guess her twin was in the KFOR studio that day.

Since the special coverage of the bombing lasted 10-14 days at least, she did come in on the second week or so...so that would explain her appearance on any video commemorative tape of the news coverage....

okcerintul Guest

Since the special coverage of the bombing lasted 10-14 days at least, she did come in on the second week or so...so that would explain her appearance on any video commemorative tape of the news coverage....
    I watched it last night, because I thought the same thing, but this is day of coverage.

blondie Guest

Sorry to keep correcting you.. but Linda Cavanaugh was not in Oklahoma City on April 19,1995.

She did phoners after seeing the coverage while in Vietnam where she was working on a special series with photographer Tony Stizza. She returned to Okc/asap but she was not on the air the day of the bombing... or the day after.
    You can call the newsroom at and asked the assignment desk to verify.. but this is the truth.

Blondie is absolutely correct. I remember watching Theresa Green anchoring and recall she did an excellent job, much better than the competition, Jennifer Reynolds on KWTV-9 and Jennifer Eve on KOCO-5.

If KOCO ever wanted to become a serious contender in the 10:00 news category, they would be wise to hire Theresa Green.

By the way, while we are discussing how former NewsChannel4 weekend news anchor Theresa Green is such a first rate journalist with a brilliant command of the English language; forgot to mention she is still in the area. She left broadcasting to raise children and is a columnist for the Oklahoma Family magazine.

the million dollar question in Oklahoma City broadcasting......where is former top rated anchor Rodger Cooper...?

Just curious if anyone knows what became of the young gal that was on OETA....the Capital reporter....Klare Ly. Is she still working in OKC?

F60 Guest

the million dollar question in Oklahoma City broadcasting......where is former top rated anchor Rodger Cooper...?
    Roger Cooper is now at KCET in California. See here for his info (Sorry, I can't post urls yet so this is rather kluged, you'll have to type it into your browser, adding all the various and sundry).
    kcet(period)org/lifeandtimes/about_us(period)php

Mark S.

F60 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke
    Just curious if anyone knows what became of the young gal that was on OETA....the Capital reporter....Klare Ly. Is she still working in OKC?
    She was, as of the first week in May, according to the OETA website, working as a reporter for Legislative Week. It airs Sundays at 1 PM, so you might turn it in and see if she is still listed. If she's left OETA, there's nothing about her taking a position at another station that I can find.

Mark

james sheldon Guest

Does anyone know where Ann Halloran is working now?

blondie Guest

Ann Halloran is a Drug Rep in the metro area

Know this will be a sad post .....just read on a separate blog that the great Anthony Foster, whose career was as weekend morning anchor and city hall reporter for channels 4,5,and 9 during different years, died last year. Anthony was also a gifted vocalist with many friends, family and admirers in the area...

okcerintul Guest

Know this will be a sad post .....just read on a separate blog that the great Anthony Foster, whose career was as weekend morning anchor and city hall reporter for channels 4,5,and 9 during different years, died last year. Anthony was also a gifted vocalist with many friends, family and admirers in the area...
    This has been mentioned in here before. It is sad. I remember him at 4 and 5, when was he at 9??

to my recollection he served as city hall reporter at 4,5,and 9....perhaps we could get the stations to confirm or clarify that comment...

Regardless, the loss of Anthony is a big setback...He was a talented broadcaster and vocalist...

z4evrnevr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blondie
    Sorry to keep correcting you.. but Linda Cavanaugh was not in Oklahoma City on April 19,1995.

She did phoners after seeing the coverage while in Vietnam where she was working on a special series with photographer Tony Stizza. She returned to Okc/asap but she was not on the air the day of the bombing... or the day after.
    You can call the newsroom at and asked the assignment desk to verify.. but this is the truth.
    It is the truth...I worked at KFOR from Jan 88 Thu March 95 doing Camera and Chyron..I left KFOR for a downtown job just a few weeks before the bombing..I came back to KFOR to fill in when local TV was going 24hrs a day the few days after bombing..Linda talks about the strange feeling she got when she woke up in a Vietnam hotel room, turns on the TV, and sees KFOR being broadcast in her Hotel Room TV. One of the major networks or Vietnamese TV was using KFOR video to do their bombing story. She was on a plane back to the US shortly after that.

I notice this thread has not been updated for awhile, so I hope I'm not preaching to the choir here....

I lived in OKC way back in '85, and was impressed with what a pretty good local news market it was. At the time Bowen was doing his thing at Gannett-5. 9 was up and coming, and 4 was very old-school back then.

So I was wondering...whatever did become of Patti Suarez? She WAS good. Roger Cooper I understand is working for KCEP in Southern California.

And, both Jerry Adams and Jerry Bowen in trouble with the law? What is that all about? They seemed like such upstanding people back in the mid-80's.

Dan Slocum became "Eric" Slocum when he moved on to KOMO in Seattle, probably because their principle anchor was named "Dan". Eric (Dan), eventually was dropped from KOMOTV, but is now doing news on KOMO-AM radio.

BTW, will be in OKC next week for the first time in 20 years! Will be interesting to see how the city has changed. Back in the 80's, my impression was it was a big, small city that had great aspirations. Not sure 20 years later that has occured...but look forward to seeing the place a couple decades later! For you natives, has it really changed in the past two decades?

Thread Information