Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State University

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Oklahoma State University

I would encourage ANY prospect for a Football Scholarship at either OU or OSU in 2021 or 2022 to Rethink. The State of Politics in Oklahoma reflects an overall disdain for Black Lives and Black people. A silent Governor complicit in causing pain to a subset of its citizens just to do what? I am going to post this sentiment on every football recruiting site that I can. Pains me as an OU grad to do so, but what I'm seeing in Oklahoma pains me even more

2. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I would encourage ANY prospect for a Football Scholarship at either OU or OSU in 2021 or 2022 to Rethink. The State of Politics in Oklahoma reflects an overall disdain for Black Lives and Black people. A silent Governor complicit in causing pain to a subset of its citizens just to do what? I am going to post this sentiment on every football recruiting site that I can. Pains me as an OU grad to do so, but what I'm seeing in Oklahoma pains me even more
    That is ridiculous. Are you going to denounce Texas and for that matter the entire SEC and most of the ACC as well? Don't try to turn football recruiting into a red state/blue star thing. Sure our state needs to do better, but one thing that OU has going for it is a great Head Coach. Here's an example:

https://oklahoman.com/article/566461...-racial-strife

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    That is ridiculous. Are you going to denounce Texas and for that matter the entire SEC and most of the ACC as well? Don't try to turn football recruiting into a red state/blue star thing. Sure our state needs to do better, but one thing that OU has going for it is a great Head Coach. Here's an example:

https://oklahoman.com/article/566461...-racial-strife
    You are entitled to your opinion, I respect it, but I do not know if you are a person of color or not but I am and Oklahomas history with regard to race is deplorable and extends into this day. Maybe some of us are just tired of being used to make others rich and being cheered on Sat while others who look like us are being shot down in the street routinely in Tulsa, Then the Governor gleefully allows people to walk around with weapons intimidating others for no DXXXN reason. NE OKC cant get a grocery store. Maybe The Governors SILENCE on racial issues is disturbing. Maybe Mary Fallins snub of a sitting President Obama is disrespectful. Please don't talk to me about ridiculous

You are entitled to your opinion, I respect it, but I do not know if you are a person of color or not but I am and Oklahomas history with regard to race is deplorable and extends into this day. Maybe some of us are just tired of being used to make others rich and being cheered on Sat while others who look like us are being shot down in the street routinely in Tulsa, Then the Governor gleefully allows people to walk around with weapons intimidating others for no DXXXN reason. NE OKC cant get a grocery store. Maybe The Governors SILENCE on racial issues is disturbing. Maybe Mary Fallins snub of a sitting President Obama is disrespectful. Please don't talk to me about ridiculous
    Oklahoma's history of racism? I know the race riots are a giant stain, but for goodness sake there was a civil war fought over essentially treating blacks like animals for generations (none of which took place in Oklahoma).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Oklahoma's history of racism? I know the race riots are a giant stain, but for goodness sake there was a civil war fought over essentially treating blacks like animals for generations (none of which took place in Oklahoma).
    Pick up a history book and read up on the first law passed when Oklahoma became a state. White supremacy has been a dominant feature throughout the state's history from Jim Crow segregation laws to White flight to residential redlining to policing and on and on. I also invite you to learn about the White supremacist structures Roscoe Dunjee and Clara Luper were fighting against. They aren't heroes because White people were nice to them. And, this is nothing to say about the genocide, murder, and exploitation of Indigenous People that are literally the basis of Oklahoma's founding. Just because Oklahoma did not have the southern slave system to the same degree does not mean Oklahoma's past and present aren't structurally unequal.

Open carry is legal in Oklahoma, though blacks might wonder if they will get rushed by the police if they tried it.

It’s a popular misconception that the Civil War and Oklahoma are somehow distanced and unrelated. If I recall correctly, the very first official use of the word “Oklahoma” to refer to what was then Indian Territory was in the Reconstruction Treaties that the (Southern) Five Civilized Tribes signed with the U.S. government to end their involvement with the Confederate cause and to also free their black slaves.

This is terribly off topic, and I won’t continue, but there were several battles of the Civil War that took place in what would become Oklahoma, and it’s both a fascinating and tragic era in Oklahoma, the South at large, and the country at large.

I always will advocate to members of this forum to read up on Oklahoma history, but it’s especially important in today’s tense racial climate to understand how we got here and not repeat mistakes made by some of our forebears against other of our forebears.

Oh, because the state politics in Alabama and South Carolina are much more tolerant?

Right . . .

WOW, Eeyore! You’re now an evangelical Anti-Oklahoman! It seems so worthwhile to keep posting such negative commentary on a site for a state halfway across the country that you hate so much. OKC sucks, Oklahoma Sucks, Oklahoma Schools SUCK! the Governor Sucks. The state government sucks! The city governments sucks! OU Sucks at football because it’s in the Big 12 which sucks so much. The Thunder Sucks! Now OSU sucks too! Am I missing anything? Maybe I missed your reasons for why Tulsa Sucks? In your infinite wisdom, does Edmond suck? What about Lawton, Ardmore or Enid? Can you check to see if there’s anything wrong with Grand Lake or any (or likely ALL) of our State Parks? Surely there’s a comment about our Airport that i missed but if not, what’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with UCO and OCU...did I miss those negative comments too or are they on deck for next week? Maybe I can pool all of your comments together and write “Why Oklahoma and Literally Everything In It SUCKS! For Dummies.” I’ll use the profits to create The DCSooner Center For Oklahoma Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too”

Maybe if we just admit that we suck at everything so much...we can find a way to stop sucking. Please Lord DCSooner...show us the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    WOW, Eeyore! You’re now an evangelical Anti-Oklahoman! It seems so worthwhile to keep posting such negative commentary on a site for a state halfway across the country that you hate so much. OKC sucks, Oklahoma Sucks, Oklahoma Schools SUCK! the Governor Sucks. The state government sucks! The city governments sucks! OU Sucks at football because it’s in the Big 12 which sucks so much. The Thunder Sucks! Now OSU sucks too! Am I missing anything? Maybe I missed your reasons for why Tulsa Sucks? In your infinite wisdom, does Edmond suck? What about Lawton, Ardmore or Enid? Can you check to see if there’s anything wrong with Grand Lake or any (or likely ALL) of our State Parks? Surely there’s a comment about our Airport that i missed but if not, what’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with UCO and OCU...did I miss those negative comments too or are they on deck for next week? Maybe I can pool all of your comments together and write “Why Oklahoma and Literally Everything In It SUCKS! For Dummies.” I’ll use the profits to create The DCSooner Center For Oklahoma Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too”

Maybe if we just admit that we suck at everything so much...we can find a way to stop sucking. Please Lord DCSooner...show us the way!!!
    First, let me suggest you don’t move to far away from either your bottle or medication, you appear to really stressed. Facts are often painful and the fact is Oklahoma does suck in many ways. There I said it! My angst is that it appears many residents like it that way. I was born and raised in Lawton, place is worst than when I was a kid and I’m 65. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are and will continue to express it . Have a great Sooner day

First, let me suggest you don’t move to far away from either your bottle or medication, you appear to really stressed. Facts are often painful and the fact is Oklahoma does suck in many ways. There I said it! My angst is that it appears many residents like it that way. I was born and raised in Lawton, place is worst than when I was a kid and I’m 65. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are and will continue to express it . Have a great Sooner day
    Ha! Okay. Well if posting about how much it sucks in the same post over and over again every day from halfway across the country makes you feel better as a 65 year old guy ...then power to you but it doesn’t make it any more constructive. And we all realize Oklahoma has issues. I can’t think of anyone here that is content with that, we just don’t post the same negative diatribe in response on every other thread and offer zero solutions....Pete sets a great example of how to express what’s wrong but do it constructively. Have fun with your constant Oklahoma bashing from afar! Go get em!

OAN is for people who think Fox News is far left.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    OAN is for people who think Fox News is far left.

And Breibart for that matter.

I might feel different if he was wearing the shirt at a school event or such, but I keep the crappiest trash t-shirts to wear fishing (or working on cars). If the shirt itself actually said something offensive or racist then I might see some outrage but right now I'm not feeling it. I think he should address it, because obviously there's something there and Hubbard's feelings and experience should be listened to. This doesn't mean it's the type of thing that someone should lose their job over.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I might feel different if he was wearing the shirt at a school event or such, but I keep the crappiest trash t-shirts to wear fishing (or working on cars). If the shirt itself actually said something offensive or racist then I might see some outrage but right now I'm not feeling it. I think he should address it, because obviously there's something there and Hubbard's feelings and experience should be listened to. This doesn't mean it's the type of thing that someone should lose their job over.
    If OAN shirt is offensive (for I presume completely botching some stories) the for goodness sake don't wear a CNN T.

If OAN shirt is offensive (for I presume completely botching some stories) the for goodness sake don't wear a CNN T.
    How about a "2-13" shirt?

Talk about offensive.

I'm not felling this either. So he likes this network so what. I don't like what Chick-fil-a stands for being anti gay but I still go there. Not everybody is going to like what your like or believe the same way you will . The bar just gets low and low in this country every day.

^^ Gundy is a public employee. A very well paid one at that. Very well paid. The standard is higher for him than a player. But without some context of Gundy being problematic or having a history outside of this, I'd lean into feeling like this is a potentially dangerous over-reaction. To call back to the Chick-fil-a reference, is that next? Get coaches fired if they're caught with a Chick-fil-a or Papa John's cup?

^^ Gundy is a public employee. A very well paid one at that. Very well paid. The standard is higher for him than a player. But without some context of Gundy being problematic or having a history outside of this, I'd lean into feeling like this is a potentially dangerous over-reaction. To call back to the Chick-fil-a reference, is that next? Get coaches fired if they're caught with a Chick-fil-a or Papa John's cup?
    Worst yet the next head coach is seen shopping at Hobby Lobby and there is a player on the team that don't believe in God. OMG THE HORROR The bar really can't get much lower can it?

20. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

The shirt is going to be the center of attention for many but I think this isn’t about a tee shirt. It was just the straw that broke the camels back. If the comments made by past and current OSU players this afternoon are true there are major problems in the OSU football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The shirt is going to be the center of attention for many but I think this isn’t about a tee shirt. It was just the straw that broke the camels back. If the comments made by past and current OSU players this afternoon are true there are major problems in the OSU football program.
    I hadn't seen those details but if that's the case, then it makes the reaction so much more understandable.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma State University

I hadn't seen those details but if that's the case, then it makes the reaction so much more understandable.
    Both sports stations have talked about it all afternoon. KFOR posted the Twitter feed early, before a lot more players chimed in. What I read was a few black players saying they were called thugs, hoodlums and they “Could go back to the hood”. Way too many players for something not to be going on in Stillwater. I expect it to be the biggest national story tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Both sports stations have talked about it all afternoon. KFOR posted the Twitter feed early, before a lot more players chimed in. What I read was a few black players saying they were called thugs, hoodlums and they “Could go back to the hood”. Way too many players for something not to be going on in Stillwater. I expect it to be the biggest national story tomorrow.
    So the players are just bringing this up now on alleged statements. This is timely.

I find it very disturbing when someone can't express a view without censorship. In this case Coach Gundy wearing a t-shirt on a fishing trip. This is what Chuba appears to be upset about. And of course he has a right to his views. And so does coach Gundy.

I may not like what you say and may not agree with it but I defend your right to say it. I don't know all the facts but it seems Chuba is saying my way or the highway. Obviously Chuba can stay or go and express his thoughts...but so can Coach Gundy.

Thread Information