Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Del Rancho

Default Re: Del Rancho

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Also, the prep time is pretty bad. I've waited more than 20 minutes before just for one steak sandwich & its the main reason why I do not go more often.
    It is slow compared to most fast food places and that's why they have signs with their phone number encouraging people to call ahead with their orders before they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    True that. I also avoid any steak named "country fried". If you know how to make it right, you would know it is "chicken fried"!
    I never could understand the term " chicken fried chicken". Seems redundant unless there is a difference between that and "fried chicken".

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I never could understand the term " chicken fried chicken". Seems redundant unless there is a difference between that and "fried chicken".
    Chicken fried chicken is chicken fried the way you would fry chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Chicken fried chicken is chicken fried the way you would fry chicken.
    Well then, what other ways are there to fry it? I never saw "steak fried chicken"

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    True that. I also avoid any steak named "country fried". If you know how to make it right, you would know it is "chicken fried"!
    Different things, usually, subtle differences, but still....

Chicken-Fried Steak or Country-Fried Steak?

6. Default Re: Del Rancho

"Chicken Fried Chicken" is different from fried chicken, in that it is a boneless chicken breast treated in the same way you would prepare chicken fried steak.

In more simple terms: a southern version of chicken parmigiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Last time I was in town -- about a year and half ago -- I had a steak sandwich supreme at the location near 50th & MacArthur and it was pretty darn good.

I also love Chuck House.

Decent chicken fried steak and fried okra are the two things I can't find here in California. Probably just as well.
    It is kind of hard to find here in Colorado, most local type places don't understand it awhat a good chicken fry is. Cheddar's (Texas based), Black-Eyed Pea (originally Texas based, the Colorado stores are now owned by a Colorado group) and Saltgrass (Landry's/Houston based) have decent ones. The best we have found recently is Brick House Tavern which is a concept of Joe's Crab Shack (Houston). We still go to Chuck House when we are back in town because none of the places here have a steak sandwich like that. Like low and slow smoked BBQ the process of chicken fried steak was to make less than tender or prime cuts of meat more edible. Country fried tends to be covered in brown gravy while chicken fry is white gravy.

Well then, what other ways are there to fry it? I never saw "steak fried chicken"
    Chicken fried steak is breaded and (typically) pan fried but some places deep fry it. Chicken fried chicken is breaded chicken breast and (typically) pan fried but some places deep fry it as well. I suppose you could fry and unbreaded steak or chicken breast but most places just do that on a flat top griddle. To the uninitiated the whole process confuses them.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It is kind of hard to find here in Colorado, most local type places don't understand it what a good chicken fry is. Cheddar's (Texas based), Black-Eyed Pea (originally Texas based, the Colorado stores are now owned by a Colorado group) and Saltgrass (Landry's/Houston based) have decent ones. The best we have found recently is Brick House Tavern which is a concept of Joe's Crab Shack (Houston).
    I believe, rather, I KNOW there was a Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant located in Central Maryland (Glen Burnie) during the late 80's - mid 90's. Great location and always crowded, so I only ate there once...sorry to interrupt. Resume party.

Brown gravy? Say it ain't so. I must have white gravy on my chicken fried steak. My years in the Texas panhandle won't let me have it any other way. Del Rancho on 59th and (S) Villa serves, or served, tater tots with gravy. Get me my car keys!

Ugh, every time this thread is bumped I get a huge craving for a Steak Sandwich Supreme!

Decent CFS is the one thing I can't find out here. I probably need to spend some time trying to make some myself. I already do that with fried okra for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AAC2005 View Post
    I believe, rather, I KNOW there was a Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant located in Central Maryland (Glen Burnie) during the late 80's - mid 90's. Great location and always crowded, so I only ate there once...sorry to interrupt. Resume party.
    They were all over the country at one point and then the wheels came off. The OKC locations (and many others) closed in 2001 when one of their owners filed bankruptcy rather abruptly. The Colorado locations were bought by a group and has since separated from the corporate franchiser and are independent. There are still DFW/Houston locations that are operated in much the same way by another independent group. They were once owned by the British conglomerate that owned Casa Bonita and Taco Bueno. A group that bought BEP from Unigate in the 90's was the company that failed and caused the locations to close.

NewsOK.com - Chain shuts 6 restaurants in Oklahoma Black-Eyed Pea closes without warning workers

We moved to Washington state for eight years, then decided to move home. When people asked why we'd want to come back to Oklahoma, we showed them a big picture of the Del Rancho steak sandwich.

There used to be another place that had a pretty decent CFSS named (I think) the onion barrel around se 44th and Bryant/Sunnylane area. I don't think it's there any longer.

The last few times I went to the 50th/Mac location the sandwich seemed kinda dry. I don't remember them being like that back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    There used to be another place that had a pretty decent CFSS named (I think) the onion barrel around se 44th and Bryant/Sunnylane area. I don't think it's there any longer.

The last few times I went to the 50th/Mac location the sandwich seemed kinda dry. I don't remember them being like that back in the day.
    I have always asked for extra mayo when I order. They never have enough for me.

The Del Rancho on SW 29th has closed its doors for good.

i'm trying to picture where they were located on 29th. -M

Just west of Penn.

18. Default Re: Del Rancho

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Del Rancho on SW 29th has closed its doors for good.
    I guess maybe their sign (with an unfortunate lack of an apostrophe) I photographed back in 2011 was foreshadowing.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	182736_1845719704432_549044_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	11819

Apparently, the famous Del Rancho in Moore has elected to drop their Del Rancho Franchise and go with some trendy name. . . Needless to say, I'll not bother driving down to Moore any more (pun intended) to eat.

On the good side, 59th and Sante Fe is still open and has a small dining room. Right across the street from the depressing empty lot that used to be the Riveria drive-in theatre. . . Thanks Sammy Caporal.

20. Default Re: Del Rancho

I tried the Dining Room (formerly Del Rancho) yesterday and thought the steak sandwich was quite good. The breading featured noticeably pepper, but I found it better than the old recipe. I didn't try any of the sides, however. I never cared for the onions rings there so I hope that they will improve on them as well.

The Del Rancho at 9411 Northeast 10th is still open.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    The Del Rancho at 9411 Northeast 10th is still open.
    C. T.
    As is the store at 16 SW 59th St, just west of Santa Fe Ave.

Here's what Del Rancho themselves has to say about the closing:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.delranchousa.com/locations/del-rancho-moore/
    To our valued Del Rancho customers in the Moore area:

The location at 301 W. Main St. in Moore will no longer be operating as a Del Rancho after Friday March 31st, and will no longer be a franchisee of Del Rancho USA, Inc. They will not be using our trademarked menu offerings or recipes, including items made with our delicious breading mix.

Del Rancho has long been committed to the Moore community. J.R. Holt, our founder, opened Del Rancho #5 in the Moore market in 1972, built the business, and operated it for a period. Mr. Holt later passed it on to his daughter and son-in-law, Rosamond and Kelly Jones, who successfully operated it for several years before selling to a new franchisee. The current franchise operator has chosen not to renew the franchise agreement and to become an independent business.

We are actively searching for new locations in the Moore area… stay tuned.

In the meantime, please visit these nearest locations to continue enjoying our famous Steak Sandwich Supreme, Chicken Fried Steak Dinner Supreme and your other favorite menu items:

Del Rancho #2
    16 SW 59th St. Oklahoma City, OK
    405-634-6082

Del Rancho #12
    2300 W. Lindsay St. Norman, OK
    405-364-0627

Each location is an independently owned franchise. Please contact the individual store Manager for inquiries and to provide feedback.

assuming that the numbers are sequential... if 16 sw 59th is del rancho #2, i wonder where #1 was?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    assuming that the numbers are sequential... if 16 sw 59th is del rancho #2, i wonder where #1 was?
    https://www.google.com/amp/m.newsok....le/2893858/amp

Their first restaurant...
    That first restaurant, at 3300 S Western, was originally the Ranch House.

The first Del Rancho...
    The second restaurant, in Del City, became Del Rancho. From there, the couple opened two more restaurants and started to sell franchises.

huh... did not know that south western was where they got their start... thanks!

Thread Information