Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Chelino's

Default Re: Bricktown

As for Bricktown the difference to me is it was the first and only centralized place to go in all of OKC. We’ve grown and changed so much since the 90’s we now have many places to go. So people have to now decide, do I go to Bricktown, Uptown, Westside, Chisolm and other areas. Before it was Bricktown as a whole or a bar/club.

Anyone recall Studio 310 in the 90’s? It was at Ballpark.

Most people don't feel like paying $10-$20 to park.

Default Re: Chelino's

From their FB Page:

Chelino's Mexican Restaurant
    16 hrs ·
    "Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

We are saddened and regret to inform you that after 25 years, our Bricktown location will have its last day of business on Saturday, February 2nd, 2019. These business decisions are very difficult to make, as many of us have made great memories here. We are proud to have been a key element in the Bricktown boom of the 90’s. Despite our efforts in keeping this location open and serving our amazing customers, we have made the decision to close indefinitely. We hope that you will make it in to dine at Chelino’s in Bricktown one last time.

Our family is agonized over this decision as each one of our location feels like an extension of our own family. We are proud and honored to have been part of Bricktown for these last 25 years. We will continue to serve the food and drinks that you love at our 12 locations. We love you Oklahoma. – The Garcia Family.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncrazy View Post
    Most people don't feel like paying $10-$20 to park.
    Nobody goes there anymore because the lines are too long and there’s never any open parking spaces.

I suspect with Chelino's that space was in need of updates and repairs (after all, they've been there for 25 years) and they just decided to walk away... Pretty much like the Spaghetti Warehouse.

when Iived in grand Rapids intent there many times before they closed btw i enjoy the Mexican food in grand Rapids more than here. i miss wet burritos.

Blog Entries

Parking is currently a non-issue because it's on the streetcar line. I just got back from taking the streetcar there for lunch. It was pretty packed. Shame it's closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I suspect with Chelino's that space was in need of updates and repairs (after all, they've been there for 25 years) and they just decided to walk away... Pretty much like the Spaghetti Warehouse.
    I would guess they rented the space I wonder if the area growth proced them out of business there?

Even though they rent that space they are still generally responsible for improvements, which was the case at Spaghetti Warehouse as well.

Is this a paraphrase of the old Yogi Berra line "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Even though they rent that space they are still generally responsible for improvements, which was the case at Spaghetti Warehouse as well.
    Good points on upgrades. I still wonder if rent was increased at a steeper rate in recent years based on prime location? Rent plus updgrades might have been too much to overcome? Thinking they may be a victim of overall Bricktown/dowtown growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Is this a paraphrase of the old Yogi Berra line "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too busy"?
    Yes that’s what I was going for. Parking wouldn’t be $10-20 if people weren’t going to Bricktown. You might not want to pay $20, and sure no one is chomping at the bits to pay to park there - but obviously it’s not a barrier.

Did you ever eat at Jose Babushka's? They were there in the 80's, then closed but I see that they have opened again. Nothing like Polish Mexican food. I'm kidding of course but my family in Kentwood said it was decent. What they really lacked was good barbecue. I flew some via American Airlines "priority mail" to my ailing sister. She really enjoyed it. Then I made a package of brisket from Leo's, ribs from Tom's Oaklawn, and sides from Portland barbecue, put it in my trunk and two days later I brought it to her door. And even though there was some pretty good ice cream at Meijer's my sister really missed Braum's. I was going to ship some to her but our mother said she was too sick to know the difference.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by the michigander View Post
    when Iived in grand Rapids intent there many times before they closed btw i enjoy the Mexican food in grand Rapids more than here. i miss wet burritos.
    Try the burrito mojado at taco San Pedro, and everything else on the menu. It’s not smothered in canned enchilada sauce like the mid westerners do it. But a tangy spicy green sauce w/ cheese and crema. I prefer steak on that dish. But they have lots of good meats and agua fresca. I recommend the melon juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Try the burrito mojado at taco San Pedro, and everything else on the menu. It’s not smothered in canned enchilada sauce like the mid westerners do it. But a tangy spicy green sauce w/ cheese and crema. I prefer steak on that dish. But they have lots of good meats and agua fresca. I recommend the melon juice.
    Taco San Pedro -- one of the best places in the city! Love their nachos also!

I went to Chelino's bricktown a couple of times with folks from work and was never impressed.

Most people are very used to Bricktown and forget that it is still OKC's most complete urban environment and, likely, still the most impressive area to many tourists. It has great walkability and density, bars and restaurants, and various entertainment options beyond what other districts can offer. I agree that it's not the hippest part of town, but my point is that it's super important to OKC and it's image.

So, what needs to happen to spring some life back in to Bricktown?

I'm not sure what businesses would succeed so I'll leave that to others (maybe a local brewery on the canal), but I would love to see more of a push to encourage mixed use developments in the empty lots closest to the canal -- the Events Center/Dodgers parking lot, the UHaul parking lot, and the Bass Pro lots. Urban developments along those lots could help activate Bricktown more often. How are sales at the Steelyard? Do they suggest more residential could succeed in the area? Has the market absorbed most of the housing the core in general?

More interaction with the canal would be nice. Bourbon Street does a great job of interacting with canal would make it more inviting

The problem is that there probably is just not consistent enough foot traffic along the canal to support most businesses. It's no surprise that far more businesses operate at street level, not canal level. How do you generate more canal-level foot traffic?

19. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I always thought they did good business, but maybe it has something to do with a parking garage being built in front of their main entrance, I assume that's still in the works?
    They never made money at that location.... Surprised it stayed open as long as it did.

[QUOTE=dankrutka;1063528]Most people are very used to Bricktown and forget that it is still OKC's most complete urban environment and, likely, still the most impressive area to many tourists. It has great walkability and density, bars and restaurants, and various entertainment options beyond what other districts can offer. I agree that it's not the hippest part of town, but my point is that it's super important to OKC and it's image.

That is the best thing I heard in a long time !
    I moved to OKC over 10 years ago and for me Bricktown is still the only place where you can go for a walk in a nice urban environment . Midtown is not at this level yet and the plaza is tiny.

I have to agree with some, the canal needs to be promoted more with more interaction along. bourbon St and the bar on the opposite site are the only ones and seems to be pretty succsuful.

This Chilano was turning is back to the canal with no interaction at any level.

21. Default Re: Chelino's

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    This Chilano was turning is back to the canal with no interaction at any level.
    Canal was built after Chelino's went in that location.

Yeah some old restaurants may be closing but you guys forget about all of the new development. Bricktown is nowhere close to being a ghost town. And neither is the canal. When the canal first opened it was Chelinos only. Now you have tons of stuff...say what you want to about Lower Bricktown but there is a lot there. Bass Pro, Harkins movie theater, Marble Slab, Earls, Charleston’s, Toby Keith’s, Sonic, Fuzzys, Starbucks, Hey Dey, Centennial Condos, Sonic HQ, Texadelphia, Jumpin Jackalope, Sussys, the Residence Inn etc. On the north canal there’s still Brickopolis, Bourbon Street, Zios. There’s far more than just 1 restaurant there now. So to say it’s going back to the 90’s is ridiculous and not reality. Again, when the canal opened there was one restaurant. That’s it. We’ve had Spaghetti Warehouse and Chelinos close. Big deal. Yes they were originals but there’s still tons of restaurants down there. Yes Hooters closed. Big deal. Lots of other stuff down there. There’s the ballpark. The canal. Bass Pro. The movie theater. Brickopolis and HeyDey. Plenty to still anchor the district. Lots of restaurants in Bricktown proper too..Micky Mantles, Hudson’s, Abuelos, Crabtown, Bricktown Brewery, Tapwerks, IHOP, Melting Pot, The Mantel, etc etc. Don’t let 2 restaurants closing make you think the district is a ghost town. That’s just dumb. Truth is Chelinos killed Chelinos. Lots of better Mexican food options now. And Spaghetti Warehouse killed itself. They were a shell of their former self. Food and service went way down in its later years. Bricktown isn’t dying. It’s just single businesses being mismanaged and businesses coming and going. That’s just business. Look at all of the new hotels being built in Bricktown.

Should we say that Memorial Road is dying because several stores have closed at Quail Springs Mall and a few restaurants have closed and changed hands over the years? Memorial Rd has restaurants and businesses come and go all the time and no one says it’s becoming a ghost town. Baker Street pub closed recently. Party Galaxy closed recently. The old Don Pablo’s building has been many things over the years as has the Saltgrass building (Applewoods, Northfork, Alisha’s, and now Saltgrass). Applebee’s closed. Toys R Us closed. Gordmans closed. Carabaas and Cheeseburger in Paradise didn’t make it. Mimi’s Cafe closed. Fox and Hound Closed. Fuse closed. Ultimate Electronics closed. Circuit City closed. Wow! That’s a lot...far more than just 2 or 3 restaurants. Is Memorial Road now a ghost town because these restaurants and businesses closed? Come on now.

This just isn’t reality. It is change though. And it’s business as usual.

And people always complain about parking. I don’t care what city you go to, every downtown and entertainment area charges for parking. Ever been to Vegas? New York? Downtown Dallas or Houston? I went to Galveston last year and even they charge for parking downtown and along the sea wall.

Price Edwards indicated recently that the old Bricktown Chelino's building was sold to an owner-user.

^

Yes, sold for $1.188 million to a local homebuilder.

That building needs a ton of work but is super cool with tons of potential.

I'm sure they'll find a restaurant tenant if they don't already have one.

I miss the Bricktown Chelino's, in normal times I ate there quite a bit before they closed. Hopefully whatever new concept is developed interacts with the canal better, assuming that is possible with the building layout.

Thread Information